Re: [waterturtles] Patrice's new turtle

  • PATRICE WHITTAKER
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 4, 2005
      thanks.  I think you said that those floodlight types should be hung over the desired area.  how high?  I have a stacked situation.  so the bottom tank has only a few inches between the top of it and the bottom of the other.  I am glad you sent that site, because I was trying to figure out how to get more uv for my cats.  they are always indoors, and when I inquired about the enzymes needed for me to make their food, I was told that the cats and dog would need aprox. 2hrs of sunlight a day.  so I had planned to hookup a full spectrum light in the animal room and put the cats in there for awhile a day.  I have noticed that they try to get up on top of the turt tanks near the lights.  So, could I hang one of those active uv lights from the main ceiling fixture with a ceramic reflector, or would there be additional wiring or something involved?   if complicated, then I will hanng a shop light from hooks and supply the appropriate lights that way.  oh, I have a hard time listening to people, but from what I gather about the vet's determining what kind of turt tsunamis is, he might be a pond, cooter, slider type turtle.  the vet scraped away a lot of the crusty black shell, (the shell is apparently mis-shaped for the kind of turt it is), his shell is very pretty.  I aksed the vet to be careful not to dig too deep.  this turt's shell problem is apparently different from what my others had.  the vet said the others are ok, but you know me, I am not convinced.  any hoo, this tsunamis has a mostly olive drab shell, with dark marks within each seute, and the shell melds into an orange all around the edges.  his skin is bery dark (black) with brite horizontal yellow lines from his nose all the way back.  vet said there was algae growing under the scutes (yuk).  I thought the orange was red, but the vet said that if it were red, it would be very red.  at any rate he is a very nice turtle.  I have a 50 gallon green tub for him.  I am trying to find appropriate climbing material, heating and lighting for him.  the vet ( I had forgotten) does not advocate dry docking very much.  he believes in letting the animal determine how wet or dry to be.  I remember now, that I had a hard time with that, but it can work.