Re: [waterturtles] Re: RE:red ear sliders

  • PATRICE WHITTAKER
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3 10:04 PM
      Hello there.  This is the second email I have read since July.  The first, from the recent widow.  I am sorry for your loss.   This second email brings a question to mind.  Reti Weisberg, you have a four year old slider that is ten inches long?  My two little sliders have to be at least two or so, and they still, only a slight bit more than when I got them in march of 03.  They are 31/2 and 5 inches.  They seem perfectly healthy ( as healthy as MY turtles can be, considering how many tribulations they have seemingly had; the little ones being the healthiest).  What is the deal with size differences?  Oh I have so much to ask about; and I have a neat happily ever after story about the smallest one.  But for now( I am very tired; had a busy week and a busy day today.  Hope all are ok;  I have water filter ratio questions.  Considering a baby or two turts.  Family and friends celebrations and losses.  But mostly turtle issues.  I know I have not been very active with you guys since way before July, but the truth is I have missed the communication.  Toodles
      patrice
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5 2:40 PM
        My res is around 5 years old and about 8 inches long.  It could be that we're not all measuring the same way..........

          <turtleranchhoncho@y...> wrote:
          > Females can get up to 14" and males can get as large
          > as 12", but generally don't get much more than 10"
          >
          > tony
          > --- janica parham <janicaparham@h...> wrote:
          >
          > I HAVE TWO RED ARE SLIDERS DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW BIG
          > THEY CAN GET?
          >

          > =====
          > Tony and Judy Simmons
          > turtleranchhoncho@y...
          > http://www.theturtleranch.com
          > Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I
          have
          > never been able to make out the numbers.

        • Michele
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19 9:17 AM
            Unfortunately I don't really have an answer for that. It depends on a
            number of environmental and genetic things. For instance, I have a leopard
            tort that is only 6" SCL. I don't know his age, but the person I got him
            from had him 3 years and I 've had him almost 5 years. He is the same length
            he was when I got him. He eats well and is healthy, but he is pretty small
            for a leopard tort. It's true that hatchlings seem to grow fast because they
            are so small to begin with. Fast growth is not necessarily a good thing.
            Just be glad that they are healthy now and enjoy them. That's what I do. :-)

            Also remember like people, they are genetically "hard wired" to be a
            certain size and shape. They come in all different sizes and the sizes we
            see as "normal" are just that, and there are always exceptions. Especially
            when we throw the human element in like Tank when he wasn't cared for
            properly for who knows how long before you got him. Tank is very lucky to
            have you, but sometimes we can't reverse damage already done. My Trevor (box
            turtle) is also a good example of that. Due to his starvation and other bad
            care for I don't know how long, he will always be "too small" and his shell
            will never be the right size for his body. I know I didn't really answer
            your question, but I hope it helps some.
            Michele Hurd
            "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
            but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
            http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
            http://www.elar.org (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 20 5:50 PM
                You got it. Trevor's hanging in there. He went a few months with no
                bruising on his head and he bumped his head yesterday. (He was too busy
                chasing a worm to look where he was going.) Today he has a bruise. So he
                still has some health issues that seem to flare up now and then. I tried to
                put a friend in to live with him since they have both been quarantined for
                over a year. No way! He chased her around biting at her feet and her shell
                before I could get her out of there. She was pretty upset, but unhurt. I
                guess he will be a bachelor for a while longer. When Spring rolls around and
                I get them outside, I will try again. There are not enough places for her to
                hide in the indoor enclosure.