Re: [waterturtles] sick baby turtle

  • walking truth
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
      mary, went to new jersey last week to get supplies seemingly not available here. talked to a vet there who said to place these little white turtles made of sulphas in the water. that seem very helpful with the eye infection.
      it is moving around pretty good both in water and out of it. it is also eating pretty heavy.
      it is so small that one wonders at the strength it has.
      we are feeding tropical fish food because it contains added vitamins and minerals and it loves it. tomorrow we will try just a bit of plain boiled grounded chicken.
      i think it is going to make it in spite of my ignorance on the subject and thanks to all the help received from the whole group at waterturtles...

      Mary Hopson <maryhopson@...> wrote:
      might be a Heiroglyphic River Cooter (Pseudemys concinna heiroglyphica)
      or maybe one of the subspecies of the Slider (Trachemys scripta ssp.).
      .... Swollen eyes are not
      always a sign of a respiratory infection, but are in many cases of a
      vitamin deficiency. ...

      The turtle was described as green on top, tan with dark circles on the bottom, and (in a subsequent post) having orange oval on the sides of the head. It's a red-eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans.

      In an early post, that many people seem to have missed, walking truth described the behavior as including mouth gaping and wheezing sounds. This is a serious sign of respiratory infection. In addition, the turtle was already treated with vitamin A and the symptoms of respiratory infection worsened.

      Unless walking truth was way off in all the descriptions, this is a RES with a respiratory infection. It needs antibiotic treatment ASAP, which any vet should be able to provide.

      Mary at The Turtle Puddle
      <http://www.turtlepuddle.org>

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Frank E.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
        Good to hear that things are working out. I did not
        think there was any serious respiratory ailment. You will
        find that commercial fish foods are almost the same as those
        for turts. As it grows, add some vegetable matter to it's
        diet. Did you provide a nice basking light? It will need
        some UVB/D3 for nice shell growth. Turtle foods may have oral
        D3 added, whereas the fish foods won't. No substitute for
        sunshine when weather permits. Keep up the good work!

        Frank

        --- walking truth <thetalkingtruth@...> wrote:
        > mary, went to new jersey last week to get supplies seemingly not available here. talked
        > to a vet there who said to place these little white turtles made of sulphas in the
        > water. that seem very helpful with the eye infection.
        > it is moving around pretty good both in water and out of it. it is also eating pretty
        > heavy.
        > it is so small that one wonders at the strength it has.
        > we are feeding tropical fish food because it contains added vitamins and minerals and it
        > loves it. tomorrow we will try just a bit of plain boiled grounded chicken.
        > i think it is going to make it in spite of my ignorance on the subject and thanks to all
        > the help received from the whole group at waterturtles...
        >
        > Mary Hopson <maryhopson@...> wrote:
        > From: Alex Netherton
        > might be a Heiroglyphic River Cooter (Pseudemys concinna heiroglyphica)
        > or maybe one of the subspecies of the Slider (Trachemys scripta ssp.). .... Swollen eyes
        > are not
        > always a sign of a respiratory infection, but are in many cases of a
        > vitamin deficiency. ...
        >
        > The turtle was described as green on top, tan with dark circles on the bottom, and (in a
        > subsequent post) having orange oval on the sides of the head. It's a red-eared slider,
        > Trachemys scripta elegans.
        > In an early post, that many people seem to have missed, walking truth described the
        > behavior as including mouth gaping and wheezing sounds. This is a serious sign of
        > respiratory infection. In addition, the turtle was already treated with vitamin A and
        > the symptoms of respiratory infection worsened.
        > Unless walking truth was way off in all the descriptions, this is a RES with a
        > respiratory infection. It needs antibiotic treatment ASAP, which any vet should be able
        > to provide.
        > Mary at The Turtle Puddle
        > <http://www.turtlepuddle.org>
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • PATRICE WHITTAKER

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2003
            he/she is doing fine except that refuses to even get close to the reptomin. it is getting plenty sun light these days.. except when weather is bad. tried very miniscule pieces of lettuce but that has not worked either. when there is no sun it sleeps all the time. is this o.k.?
            yo

            "Frank E." <mudturt@...> wrote:

                 Good to hear that things are working out.  I did not
            think there was any serious respiratory ailment.  You will
            find that commercial fish foods are almost the same as those
            for turts.  As it grows, add some vegetable matter to it's
            diet.  Did you provide a nice basking light?  It will need
            some UVB/D3 for nice shell growth.  Turtle foods may have oral
            D3 added, whereas the fish foods won't.  No substitute for
            sunshine when weather permits.  Keep up the good work!

                 Frank

            --- walking truth <thetalkingtruth@...> wrote:
            > mary, went to new jersey last week to get supplies seemingly not available here. talked
            > to a vet there who said to place these little white turtles made of sulphas in the
            > water. that seem very helpful with the eye infection.
            > it is moving around pretty good both in water and out of it. it is also eating pretty
            > heavy.
            > it is so small that one wonders at the strength it has.
            > we are feeding tropical fish food because it contains added vitamins and minerals and it
            > loves it. tomorrow we will try just a bit of plain boiled grounded chicken.
            > i think it is going to make it in spite of my ignorance on the subject and thanks to all
            > the help received from the whole group at waterturtles...
            >
            > Mary Hopson <maryhopson@...> wrote:
            > From: Alex Netherton
            > might be a Heiroglyphic River Cooter (Pseudemys concinna heiroglyphica)
            > or maybe one of the subspecies of the Slider (Trachemys scripta ssp.). .... Swollen eyes
            > are not
            > always a sign of a respiratory infection, but are in many cases of a
            > vitamin deficiency. ...
            >
            > The turtle was described as green on top, tan with dark circles on the bottom, and (in a
            > subsequent post) having orange oval on the sides of the head. It's a red-eared slider,
            > Trachemys scripta elegans.
            > In an early post, that many people seem to have missed, walking truth described the
            > behavior as including mouth gaping and wheezing sounds. This is a serious sign of
            > respiratory infection. In addition, the turtle was already treated with vitamin A and
            > the symptoms of respiratory infection worsened.
            > Unless walking truth was way off in all the descriptions, this is a RES with a
            > respiratory infection. It needs antibiotic treatment ASAP, which any vet should be able
            > to provide.
            > Mary at The Turtle Puddle
            > <http://www.turtlepuddle.org>
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • walking truth
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2003
              my little one is exactly one inch by length of carapace and about the same in width of same. the eyes do not seem swollen anymore but they are extremely small. it sleeps under the water for hours. it loves to hide. it is eating like a pig but only when sun light is fully on top of tank.
              yo

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2003
                wHAT IS HE EATING?  hAVE YOU TRIED THE OMLETTES COOKED WITH ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN; and cooked with cod liver oil?  It may work very well.  Did you read my message regarding the omlettes?  though these waterturtle guys did not comment when I told them about the omlettes, I did run it by the vet; who by the way is the one who suggested adding crushed egg shells to the omlettes for added calcium.  You can also add powdered calcium.  Try it if possible; it could be a good thing.

                By the way the soft spot on Tank's shell had hardened.  I wonder about the texture of his shell after all summer with antibiotics.  It is very hard and verges on brittle.  The spot where the vet initially found the bloody area, some months ago appears to be building a thickness which looks like at some point in the future might be able to be scraped off or like it might peel off by itself.  His shell does not peel easily when I try to allow healthy matter to come through.  I know that you guys might say that it does not peel because it is now healthy, but I have reservations about that, as the soft spot seemed to harden quite quickly in comparison to how long it stayed soft.  Please advise.----- Original Message -----