Re: [waterturtles] nocturnal behavior... OT?

  • Frank E.
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
      I'd love to see those Yellowfoots!

      --- Tony Simmons <turtleranchhoncho@...> wrote:
      > I've noticed that too, Frank. Ours are active when the temps get below 85, so that
      > starts about 9:30 at night, and they're active when I get up early in the mornings.
      >
      > Yesterday we had a group of folks over to the house, and fortunately it was cloudy, so a
      > lot of the turtles were active. We even had some mating going on with the boxies and
      > the yellowfoots. There was one point where one of the male torts was very vocal.
      > ROFLMAO It was amusing to see how many people just stood there and watched the turtles
      > mating. I guess I see it so much that it doesn't phase me anymore.
      >
      > tony

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Tony Simmons
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
        We have a guest bedroom if you want to come for a visit.  :)

        I need to update my website so badly that it is beyond funny.  I still have about 10 more pens to build, and 2 more ponds.  Habitats have to come first.  Hopefully by the third week in September...

        We had something happen to our crickets yesterday, and about 400 of them just died off, so I was out until 2AM chasing crickets and grasshoppers.  I must have looked a sight running around the parking lots near the hay fields with a butterfly net.  Keep in mind that I'm a pretty husky fellow about 6' tall and 220#.  I am surprised that the police or men in white coats didn't show up.

        We managed to catch about 600 crickets, so it was a net gain.  :)

        tony
        > I've noticed that too, Frank.  Ours are active when the temps get below 85, so that
        > starts about 9:30 at night, and they're active when I get up early in the mornings.
        >
        > Yesterday we had a group of folks over to the house, and fortunately it was cloudy, so a
        > lot of the turtles were active.  We even had some mating going on with the boxies and
        > the yellowfoots.  There was one point where one of the male torts was very vocal.
        > ROFLMAO  It was amusing to see how many people just stood there and watched the turtles
        > mating.  I guess I see it so much that it doesn't phase me anymore.
        >
        > tony

      • Frank E.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
          LOL... I am going to save this post, as I may actually
          come visit one day! I love the thought of you out catching
          bugs. I know I feel like a kid when I am up to my knees
          in water, netting crayfish.

          Frank

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Tony Simmons
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
            Whenever we have any floods on this end of town, there is a place where we can go and catch them as they are washing out of a particular field and down the street.  Last time we went, we had two 5 gallon buckets about half full.  We still have 3 left that have become the pets of our sidenecks.  lol

            We also go to the bayou to catch minnows.  I built a special net, and we'll get 2-300 in about an hour.

            tony
               LOL...  I am going to save this post, as I may actually
            come visit one day!  I love the thought of you out catching
            bugs.  I know I feel like a kid when I am up to my knees
            in water, netting crayfish.

                                Frank

            --- Tony Simmons <turtleranchhoncho@...> wrote:
            > We have a guest bedroom if you want to come for a visit.  :)
            >
            > I need to update my website so badly that it is beyond funny.  I still have about 10
            > more pens to build, and 2 more ponds.  Habitats have to come first.  Hopefully by the
            > third week in September...
            >
            > We had something happen to our crickets yesterday, and about 400 of them just died off,
            > so I was out until 2AM chasing crickets and grasshoppers.  I must have looked a sight
            > running around the parking lots near the hay fields with a butterfly net.  Keep in mind
            > that I'm a pretty husky fellow about 6' tall and 220#.  I am surprised that the police
            > or men in white coats didn't show up.
            >
            > We managed to catch about 600 crickets, so it was a net gain.  :)
            >
            > tony

          • PAKO
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
              At 11:00 AM 9/1/2003, Tony Simmons wrote:

              We had something happen to our crickets yesterday, and about 400 of them just died off, so I was out until 2AM chasing crickets and grasshoppers.  I must have looked a sight running around the parking lots near the hay fields with a butterfly net.  Keep in mind that I'm a pretty husky fellow about 6' tall and 220#.  I am surprised that the police or men in white coats didn't show up.

              We managed to catch about 600 crickets, so it was a net gain.  :)

              Oh, Tony, I **thought** the subject line referred to "nocturnal behavior" of turtles,  NOT  YOU!!! <VBG>
            • Frank E.
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                None of the kinos even mess with trying to catch fish. The guppie
                populations are outrageous! I keep guppies in all the aquariums. This
                almost burnt me during last winters week-long power outtage. The guppies
                died and caused major pollution.
                In the old Musk's tank (Skampy) there is a goldfish larger than
                the turt. Skampy plays "bumper cars" and tries to use his carapace to
                shield the goldfish from morsels of food. It is hysterical! If you
                have seen musks or muds interact you can probably picture the seen.
                The goldfish will even take food right from Skampy's mouth. Most turts
                would just eat the darn fish.

                Frank

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Frank E.
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Very funny... Wish I'd have said it first. I am
                  really chuckling now, thinking of Tony out there catching
                  bugs, after an evening of netting minnows and crayfish.
                  Heck, he probably spent some time observing Mars through
                  his telescope, too. Tony, perhaps you should try counting
                  sheep once in a while,

                  Frank

                  --- PAKO <pako8@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  At 11:00 AM 9/1/2003, Tony Simmons wrote:

                  We hadsomething happen to our crickets yesterday, and about 400 of them justdied off, so I
                  was out until 2AM chasing crickets and grasshoppers. I must have looked a sight running
                  around the parking lots near the hayfields with a butterfly net. Keep in mind that I'm a
                  pretty huskyfellow about 6' tall and 220#. I am surprised that the police ormen in white
                  coats didn't show up.

                  We managed to catch about 600 crickets, so itwas a net gain. :)
                  Oh, Tony, I **thought** the subject line referred to "nocturnalbehavior" of turtles, NOT
                  YOU!!! <VBG>
                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • PAKO
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                    At 06:04 PM 9/1/2003, Frank E. wrote:

                    > Very funny... Wish I'd have said it first. I am
                    >really chuckling now, thinking of Tony out there catching
                    >bugs, after an evening of netting minnows and crayfish.
                    >Heck, he probably spent some time observing Mars through
                    >his telescope, too. Tony, perhaps you should try counting
                    >sheep once in a while...

                    Hah! Tony counting sheep, I don't think so! He'd just build 'em a pen!
                    Go, Tony!
                  • Frank E.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                      I used to have a Bullhead Catfish in an aquarium. I'd
                      dump in goldfish for food. One goldfish was always left
                      alone... I mean I would put in 3 dozen goldfish, but the
                      "buddy" was always left alone. Eventually, the goldfish got
                      so big that it needed it's own tank.

                      Frank

                      --- Michele <mshurd@...> wrote:
                      > LOL! Tony I had a Blandings in rehab once that had the same crayfish as a "buddy" all
                      > winter. She'd eat any others but that one.
                      > Michele Hurd
                      > "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
                      > but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
                      > http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
                      > http://www.elar.org (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)
                      >

                      > Whenever we have any floods on this end of town, there is a place where we can go and
                      > catch them as they are washing out of a particular field and down the street. Last time
                      > we went, we had two 5 gallon buckets about half full. We still have 3 left that have
                      > become the pets of our sidenecks. lol
                      >
                      > We also go to the bayou to catch minnows. I built a special net, and we'll get 2-300
                      > in about an hour.
                      >
                      > tony

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • PATRICE WHITTAKER
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                        I am so glad to hear that/  I thought something was wrong with Square Business.  He or she (I am not sure) has been awfully slow moving; spending a lot of time in the water.  I thought it was because I have not had the turts outside in about three days or so.  I will have to watch during the night.  I have a vet appt for Tank this week and had planned to bring boxie too.  I am going to try to bring the whole lot of turts in my keeping this appt.   Boxie seems down though.  I hope nothing bad.  We will see what the vet says.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                          There were two in Tank's tank that he left alone.  I thought he just couldn't catch them.  They stayed a couple of weeks.  One day I put them in a bowl to clean his tank.  One died; the other I put back in tank's place.  I accidentally poured it down the drain.  I was sick.  One of the swords I got for live bearer production, died last night.  I gave it to Tank.  I had decided for the time being to keep the swords for pets.  When I have a custom tank built for Scamp and Scurry ( small res's), I will use the 20 gallon that I have for breeding, should I decide to actually do it.  I have a tendency to take a liking to any living critter in my care or that I come in contact with.  I have relaxed that since wanting to feed live food to turts though.  I mean I have trouble killing a mosquito unless it bites me and only out of reflex then.  I will chase a fly outside.  But I think I might start production if I can stomach it.

                          --- Michele <mshurd@...> wrote:
                          > LOL! Tony I had a Blandings in rehab once that had the same crayfish as a "buddy" all
                          > winter. She'd eat any others but that one.
                          > Michele Hurd
                          > "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
                          >  but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
                          > http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
                          > http://www.elar.org  (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)
                          >

                          >   Whenever we have any floods on this end of town, there is a place where we can go and
                          > catch them as they are washing out of a particular field and down the street.  Last time
                          > we went, we had two 5 gallon buckets about half full.  We still have 3 left that have
                          > become the pets of our sidenecks.  lol
                          >
                          >   We also go to the bayou to catch minnows.  I built a special net, and we'll get 2-300
                          > in about an hour.
                          >
                          >   tony

                        • PATRICE WHITTAKER
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                            Frank;
                            Do the turts eat all the scraps and remnants of the fish?  I wanted to keep fish in the tanks, but fretted that the leavings would pollute the tank.  So I only put any food, dead or alive in their tanks when it is near changing time; otherwise I feed live food and other food in plastic tubs and empty when done.  Please advise as it would be wonderful to keep fish in the tanks.
                                 None of the kinos even mess with trying to catch fish.  The guppie
                            populations are outrageous!  I keep guppies in all the aquariums.  This
                            almost burnt me during last winters week-long power outtage.  The guppies
                            died and caused major pollution.
                                 In the old Musk's tank (Skampy) there is a goldfish larger than
                            the turt.  Skampy plays "bumper cars" and tries to use his carapace to
                            shield the goldfish from morsels of food.  It is hysterical!  If you
                            have seen musks or muds interact you can probably picture the seen.
                            The goldfish will even take food right from Skampy's mouth.  Most turts
                            would just eat the darn fish.

                                                         Frank

                            --- Tony Simmons <turtleranchhoncho@...> wrote:
                            > Whenever we have any floods on this end of town, there is a place where we can go and
                            > catch them as they are washing out of a particular field and down the street.  Last time
                            > we went, we had two 5 gallon buckets about half full.  We still have 3 left that have
                            > become the pets of our sidenecks.  lol
                            >
                            > We also go to the bayou to catch minnows.  I built a special net, and we'll get 2-300 in
                            > about an hour.
                            >
                            > tony

                          • Michele

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                                We've got two male crawfish and a female.  I'm kinda hoping to see some babies.

                                We just spotted 3 or 4 feeder mice that are pregnant, so we're excited about that.  This is our first attempt at breeding them.

                                Also, just a few minutes ago, we heard our attack Pekingese barking and whining.  We went out to the back yard to see what he was barking at, and found one of our big RES had managed to scale the wall in her habitat.  I'll have to check her out tomorrow.  I think she may be gravid.  If so, we'll deal with the eggs appropriately.

                                tony

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                                  I wish that I could spell the sound I just made when I read that Patricia.  It sounded like a reverse snort.  I always enjoy a good laugh.  Thanks.

                                  If you want a funny sheep story, back in my old horticulture days, I got a message over the radio that a sheep was eating our flower beds in one of the parks.  I tried to lasso this sheep on foot, but she was too fast for me.  I ended up standing in the bed of a pickup truck as the driver raced to get past her.  As the truck passed the sheep, I lassoed her and slapped the side of the truck to get the driver to stop.

                                  He slammed on the brakes and I flipped over the cab of the truck and rolled down the hood and onto the ground.  I never let go of the rope, and I managed to catch the sheep.   Once again it's much funnier if you keep my size in mind as you visualize this.  :)

                                  tony
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    I feed my turts in their tanks, and the guppies feed
                                    on the "crumbs" from the turts. So, it's all a matter of
                                    filtration and water changes.

                                    Frank

                                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                  • PATRICE WHITTAKER
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                      Tony;
                                      are you laughing at my mosquito and fly thing, or is there a Patricia whose message I have not read yet?  I do not know your size; what is it?  Was the sheep ok?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                        I have fairly good filters, and change them frequently; also dip and pour between changes.  Of course Tank's quarantine tub is changed every day or two.  So do the guppies scavenge and also eat fish remnants?  Please explain; because I would really like to keep fish and snails in there.  I inadvertently killed a beautiful ivory snail during changing.  I know that strong chemicals are not recommended for cleaning, but I rinse and rinse and add water conditioners and let them set then rinse and rinse and rinse.  But I forgot about the snail who was hiding.  How do you capture snails before changing?  Fish are easy.  Do you keep an abundance of fish for constant food supply?  Do the turts eat til they drop or only what they need?  My Belladonna eats as much and as often as I can feed her.  She can put away 30 feeders in 10 minutes.  Then when I put here back in her tank, she starts looking for food immediately.  And she is more likely to try to bite me after feeding.  I will be scared to put Tank with her when he is completely well, but for the time being that is the plan; however Tank is becoming quite ferocious in his own right, and will likely be able to handle Belladonna when the time comes.  But about the fish, I would like to know all I can and will likely have more ???s
                                             I feed my turts in their tanks, and the guppies feed
                                        on the "crumbs" from the turts.  So, it's all a matter of
                                        filtration and water changes.

                                                            Frank

                                        --- PATRICE WHITTAKER <patrah2u@...> wrote:
                                        > Frank;
                                        > Do the turts eat all the scraps and remnants of the fish?  I wanted to keep fish in the
                                        > tanks, but fretted that the leavings would pollute the tank.  So I only put any food,
                                        > dead or alive in their tanks when it is near changing time; otherwise I feed live food
                                        > and other food in plastic tubs and empty when done.  Please advise as it would be
                                        > wonderful to keep fish in the tanks.

                                      • PATRICE WHITTAKER

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                            Patricia is PAKO.  She's been a God-send to Judy and me.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 3, 2003
                                              Gotcha.  PAkO is a very cool identifier; forgive me if it seems like there is a big ego here.  Where is the story you snorted backwards at?  Would like to read it, or maybe missed it; sounds great and a good laugh would be great right about now.