not eating

  • Bulent
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2002
      Dear Friends,
      I have just bought a young water turtle but it is not eating(Tetra
      Repromin food sticks)
      What can I do?
      What is the problem?
      Sincerely yours
      Bulent Tandogan
      Istanbul Turkey
    • Mary Hopson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2002
        Bulent wrote:

        > Dear Friends,
        > I have just bought a young water turtle but it is not eating(Tetra
        > Repromin food sticks)
        > What can I do?
        > What is the problem?
        > Sincerely yours
        > Bulent Tandogan
        > Istanbul Turkey

        Do you know what kind of water turtle you have? Some species eat mostly
        meats, some eat mostly plants, and some eat both. How warm they need to be,
        whether or not they need a large basking area, and other factors are all
        detemined by the species and how it lives in the wild. So we really need to
        start there. If you do not know what kind it is, please describe it.

        Mary at The Turtle Puddle
        <http://www.turtlepuddle.org>
        Exotic Turtles
        http://www.turtlepuddle.org/exotics/exotics.html
      • James Wilton
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2002
          --- Bulent <butando@...> wrote:
          > Dear Friends,
          > I have just bought a young water turtle but it is
          > not eating(Tetra
          > Repromin food sticks)
          > What can I do?
          > What is the problem?
          > Sincerely yours
          > Bulent Tandogan
          > Istanbul Turkey
          >
          >dear Bullent,
          You may want to try fish food flakes and once he`s
          eating those begin to introduce sticks to his
          diet.This has worked for me with hatchlings as well
          as wildcaught turtles for me,but give it time,Jim

          http://faith.yahoo.com
        • Frank E.
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2002
            The old standby for just about any young turtle
            is a nice, wiggly earthworm. If the turt is a hatchling,
            I swear by frozen bloodworms. Small pieces of chicken,
            turkey, shrimp, squid, or clam may work also. All
            of these foods can be stepping stones to the commercial
            foods. Oh yeah... Most turts love crunching up snails,

            Frank

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • shenok@softhome.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 16, 2002
              I have a problem with Claudius, my red eared slider. I've recently added a
              new sunbathing platform to his aquarium and about three days after that he
              went up to its top into some fake moss mound and stayed there.

              At first I panicked and thought he died but when I tried moving him he
              simply opened an eye and crawled back into his mound. He's been there for
              three days without moving as much as I know. Is he hybernating? The water
              temp and light conditions haven't been changed for the past year.

              If he is hybernating I'm a bit scared that he'll get dehydrated as he's out
              of the water entirely. I tried pouring a bit of moderately warm water on him
              and he nudged a bit (I'm not sure he liked it). Should I try waking him up?
              Is there a gentle way to do that? Should I place him in a seperate box?

              BTW: I have another softshell (Caligula) in that tank and he's as active as
              ever.

              Help,
              Gur.
            • Mary Hopson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 16, 2002
                shenok@... wrote:

                > I have a problem with Claudius, my red eared slider. I've recently added a
                > new sunbathing platform to his aquarium and about three days after that he
                > went up to its top into some fake moss mound and stayed there.
                >
                > At first I panicked and thought he died but when I tried moving him he
                > simply opened an eye and crawled back into his mound. He's been there for
                > three days without moving as much as I know. Is he hybernating? The water
                > temp and light conditions haven't been changed for the past year.
                >
                > If he is hybernating I'm a bit scared that he'll get dehydrated as he's out
                > of the water entirely. I tried pouring a bit of moderately warm water on him
                > and he nudged a bit (I'm not sure he liked it). Should I try waking him up?
                > Is there a gentle way to do that? Should I place him in a seperate box?
                >
                > BTW: I have another softshell (Caligula) in that tank and he's as active as
                > ever.
                >
                > Help,
                > Gur.

                I would suspect the softshell is causing the problem. They can be quite
                aggressive. So the RES might be trying to escape from the softshell. It's not
                considered a good idea to mix species anyway; they should have separate tanks.
                And you are right to be concerned about dehydration. Your RES needs to be in
                the water. In fact, they hibernate under water, not in burrows. If the turtle
                is inside, it is not hibernating. Hibernation is a response to low temperatures
                which slow the metabolic functions of these cold blooded animals. Get rid of
                the fake moss; it is not serving any function at all. And separate the
                softshell from the RES. That will probably solve the problem.

                Good luck!

                Mary at The Turtle Puddle
                <http://www.turtlepuddle.org>
                Exotic Turtles
                <http://www.turtlepuddle.org/exotics/exotics.html>
                Kids' Questions About Turtles
                <http://www.turtlepuddle.org/kidspage/questions.html>
              • morton57
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 16, 2002
                  There could be a variety of explanations but I don't think
                  hibernation is one of them. Is the turtle otherwise healthy? What
                  temp is it kept at? Is it eating regularly? UVB light? Any shell
                  problems?

                  Assuming it is healthy and its environment is ok you might want to
                  consider removing the softshell for a few weeks. maybe it is worrying
                  the slider. Even if it is not actively pursuing the slider all the
                  activity may be bothering it.

                  I had some diamondbacks that left my pond in the middle of summer and
                  buried themselves in the dirt. no explanation although maybe it was
                  just too hot for them. When I put them back in the water they did
                  fine and are still there.

                  --- In waterturtles@y..., shenok@s... wrote:
                  > I have a problem with Claudius, my red eared slider. I've recently
                  added a
                  > new sunbathing platform to his aquarium and about three days after
                  that he
                  > went up to its top into some fake moss mound and stayed there.
                  >
                  > At first I panicked and thought he died but when I tried moving him
                  he
                  > simply opened an eye and crawled back into his mound. He's been
                  there for
                  > three days without moving as much as I know. Is he hybernating? The
                  water
                  > temp and light conditions haven't been changed for the past year.
                  >
                  > If he is hybernating I'm a bit scared that he'll get dehydrated as
                  he's out
                  > of the water entirely. I tried pouring a bit of moderately warm
                  water on him
                  > and he nudged a bit (I'm not sure he liked it). Should I try waking
                  him up?
                  > Is there a gentle way to do that? Should I place him in a seperate
                  box?

                  > BTW: I have another softshell (Caligula) in that tank and he's as
                  active as
                  > ever.
                  >
                  > Help,
                  > Gur.
                • Gur Arie Livni (Shenok)
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 30, 2002
                    I think deep down I knew the softshell is the problem <sigh>. It was a bad idea mixing them in the first place.
                    Well, I seperated them and I'm looking for a new home for the RES. He looks a lot better in his seperate tank even though it's small and only temporary.

                    Thanks,