Re: [waterturtles] baby turtle diet

  • vtdlk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
      Are the frozen brine shrimp cubes sold at the petshop? I use successfully
      the live bloodworms, but have yet to try the frozen. Are the live brine
      shrimp sold at the petshop, or only the frozen?

      I hatched out four hatchlings last summer, when unexpectedly 3 common mud
      turtles each laid 4 eggs, being sold to me as a 1.2 group. It was a
      totally new experience, and I felt lucky that any hatched.

      from David near Detroit

      I just thought I'd write to update you all about my
      babies that weren't eating:

      Thanks to your advice, two of the three hatchlings are
      happily eating brine shrimp cubes (frozen). They did
      not like the dried shrimp at all, so my older turts
      are eating those (along with Reptomin). I do have one
      more question though: where can I get LIVE brine
      shrimp?

    • Deborah Bortot
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
        You know the kits in the toy department they call sea
        monkeys? They are actually brine shrimp.And they are
        very easy to hatch and grow.

        --- vtdlk@... wrote:
        > Are the frozen brine shrimp cubes sold at the
        > petshop? I use successfully
        > the live bloodworms, but have yet to try the
        > frozen. Are the live brine
        > shrimp sold at the petshop, or only the frozen?
        >
        > I hatched out four hatchlings last summer, when
        > unexpectedly 3 common mud
        > turtles each laid 4 eggs, being sold to me as a 1.2
        > group. It was a
        > totally new experience, and I felt lucky that any
        > hatched.
        >
        > from David near Detroit
        >
        > I just thought I'd write to update you all about my
        > babies that weren't eating:
        >
        > Thanks to your advice, two of the three hatchlings
        > are
        > happily eating brine shrimp cubes (frozen). They did
        > not like the dried shrimp at all, so my older turts
        > are eating those (along with Reptomin). I do have
        > one
        > more question though: where can I get LIVE brine
        > shrimp?

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Jane Chuang
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
          David,

          Yes, the brine sgrimp cubes are sold in petshops. They
          are a bit pricey (about $5 for a package of about 16
          cubes), but they are all my babies want to eat (that
          is, for the two that are eating).

          Jane
          --- vtdlk@... wrote:
          > Are the frozen brine shrimp cubes sold at the
          > petshop? I use successfully
          > the live bloodworms, but have yet to try the
          > frozen. Are the live brine
          > shrimp sold at the petshop, or only the frozen?
          >
          > I hatched out four hatchlings last summer, when
          > unexpectedly 3 common mud
          > turtles each laid 4 eggs, being sold to me as a 1.2
          > group. It was a
          > totally new experience, and I felt lucky that any
          > hatched.
          >
          > from David near Detroit
          >
          > I just thought I'd write to update you all about my
          > babies that weren't eating:
          >
          > Thanks to your advice, two of the three hatchlings
          > are
          > happily eating brine shrimp cubes (frozen). They did
          > not like the dried shrimp at all, so my older turts
          > are eating those (along with Reptomin). I do have
          > one
          > more question though: where can I get LIVE brine
          > shrimp?

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • red-eye
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
            Sorry this reply is late

            At 09:54 PM 12/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
            ><snip>
            >As far as the diet is concerned, I bought brine shrimp
            >cubes and two (out of the three) hatchlings love them
            >and have been eating them vigorously (I feed them once
            >a night, same as my older turts...do you think I
            >should feed them more?)

            *******************
            I feed juveniles two times a day for first 8-10 months or until they are at
            least three inches in length

            >They don't seem to like the
            >dried shrimp that was also suggested, though. For now,
            >I think the brine will be suitable.

            *******************8
            At their age they will be mostly carnivores and will love gut loaded
            crickets ( a few at a time till they get the hang of it) and red
            worms.However by using plants you also provide a very important element
            that I call "cover". It gives the turtles a feeling of security, which is
            important for their well being. They also like to hang out in them and as a
            bonus it is also an available food source. I don't think I can overstate
            how important they are in keeping aquatics.

            >However, I am really concerned about the one that has
            >not eaten since I first mentioned the problem on the
            >list. I know that if this continues, it will not
            >survive more than a couple more days... What's your
            >advice on this? Is there any way I can MAKE it eat?
            >Will taking it to a vet help (I was thinking they can
            >probably give it a shot to help it sustain)?

            ***********************
            Personal opinion....they all can't make it. I think its simply the odds. I
            can't back it up but it has been my personal observation with hatchlings

            >Thanks again in advace for all your help and concern.
            >I greatly appreciate it!
            >Jane

            *********************8
            sorry the response is so late...holidays and all

            >--- red-eye <r_ohle@...> wrote:
            > > If you don't have your answer write me offlist. I
            > > have raised quite a few
            > > hatchlings to adulthood
            > >

            > > At 11:59 PM 12/24/2001 -0800, you wrote:
            > >
            > > >PLEASE HELP!!
            > > >
            > > >What does RES babies (that are about the size of a
            > > >quarter)eat?
            > > >
            > > >Any help would be greatly appreciated and I know
            > > that
            > > >this group is THE place to ask turtle questions!
            > > >
            > > >Jane

            > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > red-eye
            > >
            > > Keeper of the .....
            > > "Herp Phile"
            > > mailto:r_ohle@...
            > > <~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>
            > > The "sulcata" list serve:
            > > <~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>
            > > The "vets_for_herps" list serve:
            > > <~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>
            > > make sure you check out The Sulcata Reality Check
            > > http://www.turtlehomes.org/test.htm

            Regards,
            red-eye

            Keeper of the .....
            "Herp Phile"
            mailto:r_ohle@...
            <~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>
            The "sulcata" list serve:
            <~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>x<?>x<~~~>

            The "vets_for_herps" list serve:
            Don't forget to recommend you favorite Herp vet!
            Need a Vet • Recommend a Vet • Worldwide

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
              At 09:24 AM 1/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
              >Are the frozen brine shrimp cubes sold at the petshop? I use successfully
              >the live bloodworms, but have yet to try the frozen. Are the live brine
              >shrimp sold at the petshop, or only the frozen?

              **************************
              In most fish shops they have both live and frozen & freeze dried as well

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                Dear Red:

                As always, your advice is greatly appreciated...

                I will start to feed the babies twice a day. Also,
                with the one that isn't eating, I noticed that it ate
                a few bits when he thought I wasn't areound. Hopefully
                that is what he has been doing. He is still the
                weakest one of the three, but I'm hopeful that things
                will get better (keep your fingers crossed).

                I do have a plastic plant in the tank. I know that
                there are only certain live plants you can put in with
                turts, but I wasn't sure which ones...? They also have
                a basking spot and bridge to go under.

                Jane

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2002
                  At 08:33 PM 1/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Dear Red:
                  >
                  >As always, your advice is greatly appreciated...
                  >
                  >I will start to feed the babies twice a day. Also,
                  >with the one that isn't eating, I noticed that it ate
                  >a few bits when he thought I wasn't areound. Hopefully
                  >that is what he has been doing. He is still the
                  >weakest one of the three, but I'm hopeful that things
                  >will get better (keep your fingers crossed).

                  you may want to put this one by itself for a time. It may be intimidated

                  >I do have a plastic plant in the tank. I know that
                  >there are only certain live plants you can put in with
                  >turts, but I wasn't sure which ones...? They also have
                  >a basking spot and bridge to go under.

                  Look for floaters
                  water hyacinth, azolla, anacharis, to name a few common ones.