Mud Turtle

  • April Zeeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi,
      I am new to the group and am wondering if anyone has any really good
      information on mud turtles. The more information I find, I think he
      might be either a Sonoran or a Yellow. I have no idea. I am not new
      to turtles and tortoises as I have 10 Russian torts, 2 juvenile
      Eastern Box turtles, a pair of 3-Toed box turtles, 2 hatchling
      easterns, 2 hatchling 3-toeds, a C. amboinensis, and now Wilber my
      mud of sorts. He is set up in a nice shallow tank and is enjoying
      himself, I think. He also has a very good appetite.

      Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

      April
    • Frank E.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        I would bet it is a Yellow Mud. Shallow tank
        and healthy appetite sounds like a good combo.
        In my experience, Yellows like to bask more than
        any other Muds. So, I would provide it with
        a nice piece of driftwood, or other haul-out area.
        They are quite carnivorous, and accept commercial
        pellets readily. I think the eyes of the Yellow
        Mud make it a very unique species. The Sonorans
        also have the same eyes, but I have never kept
        any. Good luck... I bet your troop of torts
        is a sight to see... I have one Russian, and she
        is my pride and joy.

        Frank

        The Earth does not belong
        to us,
        We belong to the Earth.

        Send a cool gift with your E-Card
        http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
      • vtdlk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          I have 4 hatchling mud turtles; the mothers appear to be subrubrum (common
          muds). Do they bask only very little? These are eating mainly live
          bloodworms currently, but, I do not want to lose them trying to change a
          food source to pellets.

          from David near Detroit

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
            I have not seen Eastern Muds do much basking.
            Of course, there are always exceptions, as they are
            all individuals. Keep feeding the bloodworms, while
            occassionally offering pellets or such. I use
            bloodworms for babies, until they "turn the corner."
            This is when they suddenly decide to eat other
            items. You can also try slivers of white-meat
            chicken or turkey. Small snails are also relished.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
              I am doing all of this, as well as the snails (colony started).

              from David near Detroit

              They appear to be thriving. Dumb luck? .... or following advice? Their
              40-gal. fish tank is not only a guppy sanctuary but an overwintering-holding
              tank for water plants.