Re: [watershipdown] Concerning my site idea

  • Jophiel
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
      "If you had been around for any length of time, you'll remember
      www.watershipdown.org - sadly now vanished into history it seems. A nice
      comprehensive WD website from the same chap who created this group. And it
      had web forums. And they went months without any new postings at times. And
      THAT was on probably the best domain name you could choose for a web forum."

      Hey, that site does sound familar ;)

      Believe it or not, I still read this list even though I haven't contributed
      in forever. I've just been really busy and, honestly, have previously said
      most of what I felt I wanted to say about Watership Down. For those who
      remember and are curious, what happened to WD.org was a simple matter of a
      site host's billing error that they couldn't bother to help get resolved
      combined with my computer dying on me, leaving the original site's files on
      its hard drive. I have since slaved the old hard drive into my "new"
      *cough* computer and when the domain name came up for re-registration, I
      renewed it though I haven't shopped around for a new host or anything. I
      refuse to put it on a free hosting site simply because I hate banner ads and
      the sort and while I understand the fact that someone has to foot the bill,
      I don't want them on my site.

      Anyway, I welcome anyone to start a forum or whatnot if that's what blows
      their probverbial dress up. However this list has been going on for years
      now so obviously people like it. To give credit where credit is due, I
      didn't start this list, I took the reins when its original founder (who's
      name I don't remember, shame on me, but is on the old WD.org files) decided
      he didn't have time to moderate it. E-mail has the obvious benefit that
      it's easily accessible and doesn't require waiting on a site to load. To
      restate what was said, the old WD.org forums were pretty vacant; I only kept
      them up because the forum hosting was free and it didn't hurt anything to
      have them there.

      I really should get WD.org back up and running -- with all modesty, it was
      probably the best source of all things Watership Down and it's a shame to
      have it gone. I've intended to do so a few times, but I'm a busy single
      parent and it's just never been a priority. Special and heartfelt thanks to
      those list moderators who've kept things up and running in my absence. To
      restate what was always the simple rules: we keep things polite and civil
      and friendly here. Had the tone not been becoming increasingly hostile, I
      may not have said a word. However there's no excuse for anyone to get so
      worked up about a e-mail list or people's opinions on a book -- and that's
      all Watership Down is, special though it may be (ok, so it's a book and a
      movie *wink*) -- that we can't all act like mature and civil people. Part
      of what made my absence so easy to maintain is the fact that this list has
      pretty much ran itself and required no intervention as long as everyone
      behaved themselves and respected others which, thankfully, is pretty much
      the case. I ask that you keep it that way; if you do respect the work,
      surely you'd agree that no good comes from acting hostile on a list devoted
      to it. Thank you all and thanks more so for continuing to keep this list
      interesting and informative for the past three years.

      -- J. Verzak, List owner
    • Robert Browning
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
        To Jeff:

        OMG YOU'RE ALIVE??!!!1!!1!!!! ;)

        *staples you to the ground* Stay!

        Now to be slightly more serious *pokes* get wd.org back up. If paying for
        hosting is an issue, or just finding hosting, e-mail myself and the other
        moderators and we can figure something out.

        Bye for now,
        Thrugg, Otter, Pinewood

      • Mad Melko
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 27, 2002
          and jeff...if you want any help getting it up, i can
          help. i know some place with cheap hosting, like 3.95
          a month.

          good times

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • garysteinweg@juno.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 28, 2002
            On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:19:07 -0700 (PDT)
            Mad Melko <madmelkor@...> writes:
            > and jeff...if you want any help getting it up,
            > i can help.

            What the . . .
          • Mad Melko
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 29, 2002