Re: [water-rockets] Chute deployment

  • Steve Jahr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
      Whalen, Brian wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > I've tried to develop a speed flap release for my 4' FTC rocket with chute
      > recovery, which is very similar to what most use on the larger 2L rockets.
      > The problem I've had is the 18" round trash bag chute, when folded and
      > inserted into the 6" deep area of the FTC, above the top bulkhead, gets
      > stuck and will not fall out on it's own at apogee.
      >
      > As a solution I've put a minimally inflated party balloon in bottom of this
      > chute area, then stuffed the chute in on top of it, then added the nose
      > cone, and speed flap strap. This has worked successfully to "pop" the chute
      > out after the speed flap opens and recover under a canopy, but only once.
      > The other two times resulted in the nose separating properly at apogee, but
      > no chute deployment (chute stuck in top of FTC again). If I inflate the
      > balloon more, the nose cone is hard to keep on with the strap and speed flap
      > without deployment very early in the flight.
      >
      > I don't see any mechanism to push your chute out on the latest bright yellow
      > rocket, so I assume it is supposed to be pulled out as the nose cone falls
      > off? Also, are you using a garden nozzle for your FTC's, or open mouth for
      > launches?

      The trick is to wrap the parachute up tightly with the shroud lines.
      I have a fairly large and bulky 18" nylon parachute I made before I
      knew any better. I pull it into a point from the center, fold it into
      a 2" length starting with the center/tip and progressing to the end
      using a zig-zag folding process. Finally I wrap the shroud lines very
      tightly around the outside. This drops in and out of FTC. I use a
      TT deployment mechanism with a very light spring and it pops right
      out.

      You can also add some baby powder to make the chute slide in/out
      easier, although I have not been doing this lately.

      Now that I have a couple successful deployments on it, I am going to
      have to post some pictures of my third generation VDTT. I have
      shrunken it *substantially* compared to the first generation.

      Steve Jahr
    • sjjcwatkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
        I've been wrocketing for a little over a year now and have progressed
        to adding a chute. I'm having problems with deployment. I've tried
        the "let the nose cone 'fall' off at apogee". My wrockets tend to lawn
        dart straight up and straight down, so that didn't work. I then tried
        the compressed ballon method I saw on the antigravity site. I couldn't
        get that to work either although I still have some tinkering to do with
        it.

        Any one have some ideas that actually work? I've had a few too close
        calls not to have a recovery system. (1 of my first wrockets flew over
        the house behind mine and lawn darted 3 feet from a car). Luckily they
        tend to stay in my yard now.
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
          The speed flap by Dave Jonson is the best way to start. They almost
          always work and are easyish to build and get working. After that if
          you want something relyable you will have to spend a few pennys for
          an altimeter.

          Try the air speed flap first, it does work very well once you get it
          setup.

          http://dogrocket.home.mindspring.com/WaterRockets/chute.html

          Richard.

          --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "sjjcwatkins"
          <sjjcwatkins@...> wrote:

          > I've been wrocketing for a little over a year now and have
          progressed
          > to adding a chute. I'm having problems with deployment. I've
          tried
          > the "let the nose cone 'fall' off at apogee". My wrockets tend to
          lawn
          > dart straight up and straight down, so that didn't work. I then
          tried
          > the compressed ballon method I saw on the antigravity site. I
          couldn't
          > get that to work either although I still have some tinkering to do
          with
          > it.
          >
          > Any one have some ideas that actually work? I've had a few too
          close
          > calls not to have a recovery system. (1 of my first wrockets flew
          over
          > the house behind mine and lawn darted 3 feet from a car). Luckily
          they
          > tend to stay in my yard now.

        • David G Leatham
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
            From: "Richard" <torwind@...>

            After that if
            you want something relyable you will have to spend a few pennys for
            an altimeter.

            I thought it's getting so easy to build wrockets that lawn darts are to be avoided when trying to save those pennyful altimiters.... cams etc.

            But then, there's beginning to be alot of success using foam and sacrificial fuselage segments to save payloads as well. I still have a viable cam left over from when I tried the helicopter stuff. Only 2 fins opened, but the ftc uselage and 2 long fins formed a fairly slow descending configuration. It does use an airflap deploy as well to attempt releasing the fins. http://wrockets.trib-design.com/index.php?project=DAVIDL&page=helio

            Helio1 was launched with an onboard cam and the launch was captured from the ground as well. I need to redo the vid for quicktime, but links to both vids can be found hidden amonst the verbage.... You can view at least how an airflap released a finset realtime in a .wmv format.

            dl