video camera

  • rubenlaan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      I'm pleased I found the on-board video camera George uses and demos in one of his webpages (http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/day79.htm#newcam) for really cheap (U$ 19,95) and FREE shipping!

      I ordered one immediately! Deal extreme is a fun website for other stuff too (I have no affiliations with this site... but I'd just mention it...)

      Cheers
      Ruben
    • George
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Ruben,

        Wow, great find. That is an excellent price considering it is free shipping. You will still need to get a memory card for it though. The deal was just too good to pass up, I just placed an order for one to keep as spare. I wonder what the catch will turn out to be? :)

        Thanks Ruben,

        - George

        --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "rubenlaan" <rubenlaan@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I'm pleased I found the on-board video camera George uses and demos in one of his webpages (http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/day79.htm#newcam) for really cheap (U$ 19,95) and FREE shipping!
        >
        > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32022
        >
        > I ordered one immediately! Deal extreme is a fun website for other stuff too (I have no affiliations with this site... but I'd just mention it...)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Ruben

      • rocketsinbrighton
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2010
          > Wow, great find. That is an excellent price considering it is free shipping. You will still need to get a memory card for it though. The deal was just too good to pass up, I just placed an order for one to keep as spare. I wonder what the catch will turn out to be? :)

          With DealExtreme and similar sites based in China the commonest catch is that your goods may take a long while to get to you. Prepare to be patient...
        • Mike Passerotti
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
            http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/04/michigan.rocket.man/index.html?hpt=T2

            Interesting news story.  Why?  I think there is a good lesson to be learned about rocket experimentation.  If only the world would move toward hydro rockets instead of pyro.  At least you can avoid the burn unit.

            Mike
          • escapehatch@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
              I suppose the tricky thing would still be that the casing might fail. To propel a weight as big as a man you'd need a BIG rocket and HIGH pressure. If the thing went 'BANG', even though you wont get burned, you might still get injured; even badly injured. Odd things can happen. Dont forget that in the USA, every year, some 30,000 people actually have to go to A&E because of 'incidents' involving their underwear. If a pair of flannel knickers can put you in a hospoital, what could 150 psi do?
              Having said that, I think it's a GREAT idea. No, after you....

              Bruce

              --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, Mike Passerotti <mikepasserotti@...> wrote:

              > http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/04/michigan.rocket.man/index.html?hpt=T2
              >

              > Interesting news story. Why? I think there is a good lesson to be learned about rocket experimentation. If only the world would move toward hydro rockets instead of pyro. At least you can avoid the burn unit.
              >

              > Mike

            • George
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
                Hi Guys,

                I received the camera today. It was around 9 days delivery and it did come from Hong Kong. I guess we are on this side of the Pacific so the delivery time wasn't unusual.

                I've only had a short play with it, and it is definitely the cheaper clone of the MD-80. The body is plastic and not alloy, but in some respects that's good because the whole camera weighs 20grams instead of the 39grams for the MD-80. So if you are trying to save every last gram it is a good option. It is a little bigger than the original.

                Costing only $20 including delivery I wasn't expecting much of a picture quality and indoors it was slow and poor. But when I took it outside the video quality wasn't bad at all and reasonable frame rate too. I still need to fly it to see how it performs during actual flight. You will need a micro SD card though as it didn't come with one. I just used the one from my MD-80.

                With the normal set of 3 mounting clips it also came with a USB cable and a little Mains to USB plug-in charger which was a good deal I thought. I can use the charger to charge the original MD-80 camera too.

                It does have the time stamp permanently on the video, but there is no firmware update that I could find to turn it off.

                All in all it is a reasonable camera for people starting out with cameras on their rockets.

                The packaging is funny though ... in big letters on the front it says, "World's Smallest Voice Recorder" .... hee hee ... because the MD-80 is smaller and claims to be the world's smallest video recorder. :)

                - George
              • Edward
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010

                  George,

                  This link might help you with the time stamp issue.  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167050

                  I think there is a file in the root directory that you can edit with the time you want it to start at.  Hope that helps.

                  Ed

                  --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "George" <air.command@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Guys,
                  >
                  > I received the camera today. It was around 9 days delivery and it did come from Hong Kong. I guess we are on this side of the Pacific so the delivery time wasn't unusual.
                  >
                  > I've only had a short play with it, and it is definitely the cheaper clone of the MD-80. The body is plastic and not alloy, but in some respects that's good because the whole camera weighs 20grams instead of the 39grams for the MD-80. So if you are trying to save every last gram it is a good option. It is a little bigger than the original.
                  >
                  > Costing only $20 including delivery I wasn't expecting much of a picture quality and indoors it was slow and poor. But when I took it outside the video quality wasn't bad at all and reasonable frame rate too. I still need to fly it to see how it performs during actual flight. You will need a micro SD card though as it didn't come with one. I just used the one from my MD-80.
                  >
                  > With the normal set of 3 mounting clips it also came with a USB cable and a little Mains to USB plug-in charger which was a good deal I thought. I can use the charger to charge the original MD-80 camera too.
                  >
                  > It does have the time stamp permanently on the video, but there is no firmware update that I could find to turn it off.
                  >
                  > All in all it is a reasonable camera for people starting out with cameras on their rockets.
                  >
                  > The packaging is funny though ... in big letters on the front it says, "World's Smallest Voice Recorder" .... hee hee ... because the MD-80 is smaller and claims to be the world's smallest video recorder. :)
                  >
                  > - George

                • George
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                    Hi Edward,

                    Thanks for that, I was wondering how to set the time so I gave it a go and it worked. :) One of the guys (krusty) on the Australian Rocketry forum posted a really good link to lots of good information on these types of cameras here:

                    http://chucklohr.com/808

                    Looks like a lot of people are collecting information on these cameras and trying to hack them. It looks like the hardware is very similar in a lot of these cameras. The MD80 clone looks like it is closest to the #3 camera in the list above.

                    No one has been able to remove the date stamp yet for type #3 but have had success in type #1. http://chucklohr.com/808/#100103-1-update . One technique that was also mentioned to try to eliminate it by post processing the video. Here:  http://chucklohr.com/808/#DateTimeRemoval

                    I've installed the Logoaway filter they mention for VirtualDub, and it seems to work fairly well, but the blur is still a little annoying. This is a general filter however, and I think it should be possible to do a better job since we know a little bit more information about the time stamp format.  I'll have a go at trying to write a better filter for VirtualDub that is specific for this kind of time stamp from these cams.

                    Cheers

                    - George

                    --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <freqster@...> wrote:

                    > George,
                    >
                    > This link might help you with the time stamp issue.
                    > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167050
                    > <http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167050>
                    >
                    > I think there is a file in the root directory that you can edit with the
                    > time you want it to start at. Hope that helps.
                    >

                    > Ed
                    > --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "George" air.command@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Guys,
                    > >
                    > > I received the camera today. It was around 9 days delivery and it did
                    > come from Hong Kong. I guess we are on this side of the Pacific so the
                    > delivery time wasn't unusual.
                    > >
                    > > I've only had a short play with it, and it is definitely the cheaper
                    > clone of the MD-80. The body is plastic and not alloy, but in some
                    > respects that's good because the whole camera weighs 20grams instead of
                    > the 39grams for the MD-80. So if you are trying to save every last gram
                    > it is a good option. It is a little bigger than the original.
                    > >
                    > > Costing only $20 including delivery I wasn't expecting much of a
                    > picture quality and indoors it was slow and poor. But when I took it
                    > outside the video quality wasn't bad at all and reasonable frame rate
                    > too. I still need to fly it to see how it performs during actual flight.
                    > You will need a micro SD card though as it didn't come with one. I just
                    > used the one from my MD-80.
                    > >
                    > > With the normal set of 3 mounting clips it also came with a USB cable
                    > and a little Mains to USB plug-in charger which was a good deal I
                    > thought. I can use the charger to charge the original MD-80 camera too.
                    > >
                    > > It does have the time stamp permanently on the video, but there is no
                    > firmware update that I could find to turn it off.
                    > >
                    > > All in all it is a reasonable camera for people starting out with
                    > cameras on their rockets.
                    > >
                    > > The packaging is funny though ... in big letters on the front it says,
                    > "World's Smallest Voice Recorder" .... hee hee ... because the MD-80 is
                    > smaller and claims to be the world's smallest video recorder. :)
                    > >
                    > > - George

                  • George
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                      Hi guys,

                      I've had a quick go at writing the VirtualDub filter tonight to remove the date from the video and to see if it is worth pursuing further.  Here is a pic of the before and after:

                      I think I'll spend a bit more time working to eliminate the rest of the artifacts by doing more blending and interpolation. I'm yet to test the filter over the full range of likely backgrounds so we'll see how effective it is. The other thing I noticed is that some frames are missing the time stamp all together in the original video. The result is a flicker of the time stamp on the video. This could be used for a second temporal filter that copies the background from adjacent frames that don't contain the time stamp. This won't eliminate all the dates, but the above filter could be used to remove the others. The adjacent frames may work since the background does not change much between frames. (mostly :) )

                      If the filter works effectively, I'm happy to make it available (including source) to who ever wants it.

                      - George

                      --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "George" <air.command@...> wrote:
                      One technique that was
                      > also mentioned to try to eliminate it by post processing the video.
                      > Here: http://chucklohr.com/808/#DateTimeRemoval
                      > <http://chucklohr.com/808/#DateTimeRemoval>
                      >
                      > I've installed the Logoaway filter they mention for VirtualDub, and it
                      > seems to work fairly well, but the blur is still a little annoying. This
                      > is a general filter however, and I think it should be possible to do a
                      > better job since we know a little bit more information about the time
                      > stamp format. I'll have a go at trying to write a better filter for
                      > VirtualDub that is specific for this kind of time stamp from these cams.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > - George

                    • John Knutson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                        That's really cool.  Now if they could just get high speed video in that form factor :-)

                        -John Knutson

> [...]

                        > too. I still need to fly it to see how it performs during actual flight.
                        > You will need a micro SD card though as it didn't come with one. I just
                        > used the one from my MD-80.
                        > >
                        > > With the normal set of 3 mounting clips it also came with a USB cable
                        > and a little Mains to USB plug-in charger which was a good deal I
                        > thought. I can use the charger to charge the original MD-80 camera too.
                        > >
                        > > It does have the time stamp permanently on the video, but there is no
                        > firmware update that I could find to turn it off.
                        > >
                        > > All in all it is a reasonable camera for people starting out with
                        > cameras on their rockets.
                        > >
                        > > The packaging is funny though ... in big letters on the front it says,
                        > "World's Smallest Voice Recorder" .... hee hee ... because the MD-80 is
                        > smaller and claims to be the world's smallest video recorder. :)

                      • George
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 18, 2010
                          Hi Guys,

                          I've been working on the filter a little more this week that attempts to remove the date from the video from these little cameras. There have been filters done before namely the logoaway one (http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/ladocs301/logoaway.html ) but it is a more general filter. Here is a video of the logoaway filter at work:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw7SNooD8w

                          This is the next iteration of the filter I'm working on:

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQU98TzyzY

                          I still need to tweak it a little more though especially against the blue sky. The filter should work with video from other similar cameras. Next I'll need to test how well it works on actual in-flight videos.

                          Here is a useful mod for the MD-80 clone:

                          Because it is difficult to see the status LEDs in sunny conditions, you can open the case (unscrew the 4 little screws) and use a Dremmel tool or file to cut away a part of the case exposing the LEDs. They are actually quite bright underneath. Normally the LEDs just shine through the microphone grill. Here are some photos of the results:

                          When you remove the tiny screws the camera easily swings open:
                          http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp0I25JI/AAAAAAAABL0/ThR_fe8uK4c/s800/CIMG2539_s.jpg

                          Remove a part of the case with a Dremmel. It's right next to the mic.
                          http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp4afIkI/AAAAAAAABL4/gAEZEhBf_hM/s800/CIMG2543_s.jpg

                          Now you have much Brighter LEDs to see what mode the camera is in.
                          http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30PqFJZpeI/AAAAAAAABL8/Fm6bFt7DM0Q/s800/CIMG2550_s.jpg

                          - George
                        • Edward
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 18, 2010
                            The filter looks like its coming along nicely George. I haven't taken any onboard video yet but I think I could do without the timestamp. I use Adobe Premiere for my video editing. I will have to see if I can find a filter like yours.

                            Ed

                            --- In water-rockets@yahoogroups.com, "George" <air.command@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Guys,
                            >
                            > I've been working on the filter a little more this week that attempts
                            > to remove the date from the video from these little cameras. There have
                            > been filters done before namely the logoaway one
                            > (http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/ladocs301/logoaway.html
                            > <http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/ladocs301/logoaway.html> ) but
                            > it is a more general filter. Here is a video of the logoaway filter at
                            > work:
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw7SNooD8w
                            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw7SNooD8w>
                            >
                            > This is the next iteration of the filter I'm working on:
                            >
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQU98TzyzY
                            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQU98TzyzY>
                            >
                            > I still need to tweak it a little more though especially against the
                            > blue sky. The filter should work with video from other similar cameras.
                            > Next I'll need to test how well it works on actual in-flight videos.
                            >
                            > Here is a useful mod for the MD-80 clone:
                            >
                            > Because it is difficult to see the status LEDs in sunny conditions, you
                            > can open the case (unscrew the 4 little screws) and use a Dremmel tool
                            > or file to cut away a part of the case exposing the LEDs. They are
                            > actually quite bright underneath. Normally the LEDs just shine through
                            > the microphone grill. Here are some photos of the results:
                            >
                            > When you remove the tiny screws the camera easily swings open:
                            > http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp0I25JI/AAAAAAAABL0/ThR_fe8uK4c/s8\
                            > 00/CIMG2539_s.jpg
                            > <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp0I25JI/AAAAAAAABL0/ThR_fe8uK4c/s\
                            > 800/CIMG2539_s.jpg>
                            >
                            > Remove a part of the case with a Dremmel. It's right next to the mic.
                            > http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp4afIkI/AAAAAAAABL4/gAEZEhBf_hM/s8\
                            > 00/CIMG2543_s.jpg
                            > <http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30Pp4afIkI/AAAAAAAABL4/gAEZEhBf_hM/s\
                            > 800/CIMG2543_s.jpg>
                            >
                            > Now you have much Brighter LEDs to see what mode the camera is in.
                            > http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30PqFJZpeI/AAAAAAAABL8/Fm6bFt7DM0Q/s8\
                            > 00/CIMG2550_s.jpg
                            > <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3qKRAyOVcs8/S30PqFJZpeI/AAAAAAAABL8/Fm6bFt7DM0Q/s\
                            > 800/CIMG2550_s.jpg>
                            >
                            > - George

                          • George
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                              Hi guys,

                              I've uploaded the timestamp filter for VirtualDub into the forum's Files folder. It is called timestamp.vdf
                              To install it all you have to do is copy it to the \plugins folder of the VirtualDub install directory.
                              To use it just load the raw video from the camera into VirtualDub and then go into Video | Filters dialog and click "Add" ... scroll down and select "Timestamp Remover". You can then change the parameters as necessary. They default to the MD-80 settings.

                              It's still in Beta, but I have been using it for a number of videos now, and seems to work okay. I'd be happy to get feedback from others on how well it works/doesn't work on their videos if they decide to give it a go. I'd like to try it on video from similar cameras as well. Source code is also available.

                              In the following video are a few on-board video sequences where I have used the filter:

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQMostlynw

                              Cheers

                              - George