noobs guide

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
      good getting-started guide:
      http://www.pctechtalk.com/view.php?id=1176
    • chris_smith_canada
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2003
        --- In waste-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "tantlerur42" <yahoo_spam@h...>
        wrote:
        > I managed to get the command-line version of the WASTE server
        > compiled and running without too much difficulty. What I'm
        > working on now is building a GUI around the server and
        > getting the Key Generation "wizard" built for first time users.

        Is there any notable functionality difference between the server
        version, and simply running a single instance of the program?

        You can insecurely bypass the startup by storing the passphrase.

        You can skip the profile dialogue by using one install per
        identity.

        The only major problem I've seen to date is WASTE's insistence
        on recalling IP addresses to re-open on a restart, when recalling
        host names would be more appropriate. Although is may seen like
        a non-issue, restarts after a shutdown may want to reconnect.
        In today's dynamic DNS environs, I have no trouble keeping a
        consistant name:ipaddr relationship pointed at my router where
        there is a single open port, but it only works if the other
        nodes look for me by name.

        If the server dealt with that problem, it would be quite helpful.

        Actually, the patch I could envision for the client would be to
        draw "trial names" NOT from the recalled 'open addresses' box,
        but from the "please open this" drop down. The data is on the
        same dialogue box, and should be readily accessible. Such a change
        would also interoperate with original instances, and also keep
        WASTE from tromping impolitely across older ip addresses when it
        really ought to know better.

        ...chris