Hello! I'm New.

  • James Dawson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2009
      Hello Washington Vegans!

      I just recently moved here from California and as far as being a vegan is concerned, I really feel like a fish out of water. I live in a very small town on the north border of Whitman county. The people of course are wonderful, but I feel like I'm in an even less-than-vegan culture than I was before.

      I've been a vegetarian for 33 years, a vegan off and on during that time, and have been what I call a "99% vegan" for I guess 5 or 6 years (I'm not actually counting). Here's a link that explains a little about that:

      http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96870&highlight=#96870

      I'm rather on the "outer fringes", as I'm an animal-rights libertarian:

      I never was very much of an activist, but especially in the new small town I now live in, I prefer to keep a very low profile as far as my unconventional beliefs and practices are concerned. I want to maintain friendly relations with my neighbors and not make them feel threatened.

      I look forward to reading more of your forum..

      When I lived in California, most Chinese restaurants eagerly declared they had a vegetarian menu in their Yellow Pages ad, and on their actual menues. Likewise, restaurants of many other cuisines. But there's nary a mention in the Yellow Pages ads here, and I was recently impatiently rebuffed when I politely inquired at one Asian restaurant whether they had a vegetarian selection. It looks like I'm not in Kansas anymore!

      Any vegan ZINESTERS out there? Here's one more link and I'll let you go:

      www.wemakezines.ning.com/Profile/JamesNDawson

      Any vegans or vegetarians in Colfax, Rosalia, St. John or the surrounding area?  Just wondered if I was the only one.

      Many thanks for creating this forum.

      James N. Dawson