Re: Hunger Games Miniature Games?

  • Kyle Adams
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
      > How would you 'drag' other tributes in a battle?

      Well,if you move within range of multiple tributes, it would make sense to add them into the battle (I was assuming the use of multiple boards).
      Almost all the fights in the book involved more than two people.
    • Michael Taylor
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2 9:29 AM
        > Yeah, I thought about that too - and I've seen some very cool ideas for replacing paper record keeping with something like that (http://webpages.charter.net/dervel/Full%20Thrust%20Star%20Wars.pdf).
        >
        > But I can't imagine creating 24 custom cribbage board! ;)
        > > Cribbage board :)

        In the end I punted.

        I'm having Staples laminate 24 of these: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/471067/outdoor-survival

        And I bought thumb tacks and seperated them into blue, red and white to punch into the laminiated cards!

        Thanks for the idea! ;)

      • Michael Taylor
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2 9:32 AM

          > > How would you 'drag' other tributes in a battle?
          >
          > Well,if you move within range of multiple tributes, it would make sense to add them into the battle (I was assuming the use of multiple boards).
          > Almost all the fights in the book involved more than two people.

          That's my current thinking. Only if you have a long-ranged weapon (10") can you stay 'out of a battle'. Otherwise, if you are within 6" you are in the battle whether you like it or not.

          Of course, you can try to run away, but Movement requires a Random table roll (so that you can't just have an endless chase!).

          I'd rather avoid a second board, but depending on how it plays it may be necessary.

        • Mr K or Professor
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 7 4:56 PM
            ok... I saw the movie!
            lets see what you got before I start my own design!

            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10 10:57 AM
              The movie is not bad - but the books are better!

              Okay, I decided to start with the Outdoor Survival game. It's got all of the elements needed for surviving in the wilderness.

              It also has a system that means the figures would move somewhat 'randomly' solving the problem of having every figure just make a bee-line for each other. The Perfect Intelligence problem in miniature games - every player can see every other figure, but the tributes wouldn't be able to.
              http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1511/outdoor-survival

              The I found that someone had done 'Advanced' rules for Outdoor Survival. This was even better. It added equipment - which will match both the Cornucopia supplies and the Silver Parachutes.

              Just treat the 'Plane explosion' as the Cornucopia Bloodbath - ie, the longer you stay in the Cornucopia, the greater the chance you have of being massively injured or killed, but the better chance you have of getting better equipment.
              http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/704950/advanced-rules

              Now, since I was already going to make custom playing cards for the Hunger Games, that were 90% similar to the cards that we done for Advanced Outdoor Survival, I went ahead and made those cards:

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Forest and Desert Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Swamp and Mountain Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Equipment and Character Cards
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Forest and Desert Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Swamp and Mountain Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Equipment and Character Cards
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Forest and Desert Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Swamp and Mountain Encounter Deck
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan...

              2012-04-08

              Advanced Outdoor Survival Equipment and Character Cards
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advan... http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advanced-outdoor-survival-forest-and-desert-encounter-deck-jf3o4cc8g3ml
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advanced-outdoor-survival-swamp-and-mountain-encounter-deck-00p1awo92z1v
              http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/advanced-os-equipment-deck-92cqn964p5q5

              Tonight I'll modify these slightly (basically put a Hunger Games back on them!) and add the additional equipment needed - weapons, silver parachutes, etc.

              But I'd love to hear if you go in a different direction!

              > ok... I saw the movie!
              > lets see what you got before I start my own design!

            • Peter Cobcroft
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 10 7:02 PM
                I love artscow :)

                Also, there are very rare exceptions to cases where the movies are better
                than the books. I was just telling my wife two days ago - that the ideal
                format for turning something into a movie is a short story, not a book.
                Short stories more often have a climax at the end, and give leeway for the
                screenplay writers to add elements. Whereas with books it's always
                chopping things out and displeasing the fans of the book.

                The only reason books are more popular for adaptations is because they tie
                in to a larger market of fans than short stories do. It's all down to
                money and not creativity.

                Homepage: http://www.curufea.com

              • Michael Taylor
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 11 11:46 AM

                  > I love artscow :)

                  I do too! I'm addicted! It's cheaper than printing and going to Staples!

                  > Also, there are very rare exceptions to cases where the movies are better
                  > than the books.

                  I'd say both Kick Ass and in some ways John Carter are better movies than books!

                • Mr K or Professor
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 11 2:39 PM
                    I did really like the John Carter movie.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 11 2:44 PM
                      Mike,

                      After you do your Hunger games miniatures you should use the
                      same system as a base to do a 10-20 years in the future aftermath
                      survivalist apocalypse USA scenario.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 16 10:19 AM

                        But it turns out that the system used in the Advanced Outdoor Survival variant works just as well so it was actually easier to use it as is.
                        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/704950/advanced-rules

                        Actually, the Hunger Games world is like already!

                        But like you were saying, I'm not good at painting, so a requirement for me is pre-painted miniatures! Luckily, Hunger Games has those! ;)
                        http://hungergamesdwtc.net/2012/02/gallery-2427-hunger-games-mini-figurines/