Non-Inertia-Feedback-Thermofluidic-Engine (NIFTE)

  • hstierhof
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2005
      Non-Inertia-Feedback-Thermofluidic-Engine (NIFTE)

      Hello warmairers,

      let me report on a new thermodynamic engine invented by
      Thomas.C.B.Smith (Cambridge University).
      Mr.Smith gave a performance and a demonstration on his engine on the
      12th ISEC in Durham.
      The engine is a phase change engine, so it's not a Stirling engine.
      It works on a Rankine cycle,
      using a liquid piston, but in difference to former liquid piston
      engines it works on very low delta T
      and it has no resonance acting in it, so no inertia is needed to
      restart the cycle.

      Mr.Smith uses a special liquid, which he keeps as a secret, but for
      me it looks like ether,
      methylalcohol or even alcohol may do it (or better the liquid of the
      Drinking Bird).

      See the rough drawing BasicNIFTE.bmp in the folder NIFTE in our
      files section.
      Here a diaphragm is mounted between the working liquid and the
      water, as in Smith's model
      engine the two liquid were seperated only by their physical
      behaviour (specific weight).

      The engine works as following:
      At start the liquid's level in the heater/cooler chamber (right) is
      higher than in the drawing.
      the heater heats up the liquid partly and vapourises it > pressure
      rises and the liquid's level
      (surface) gets pressed down (left)(and so water is pumped out from
      the pump chamber).
      The pressure also acts on the liquid's level(surface) in the
      heater/cooler chamber, but
      because of the narrow passage, only a little amount can flow back
      (to the left).
      If then the liquid's level falls below the heater fins, no more
      liquid is boiled.
      The walls of the tube and the cooler fins cool the gas and so the
      gas condenses.
      Because it condenses, it sucks back the diaphragm (sucks in water)
      and the level of
      the liquid rises in the tube and rises slower(!) in the
      heater/cooler chamber. The liquid will
      rise up high in the left tube. The liquid's level will rise in the
      heater/cooler chamber, too >>
      >> until it has flooled to a significant height at the heater. Then
      the boiling of the gas
      makes the pressure rise again...and it starts all over!
      Mr.Smith showed, that adjusting the narrow passage, the frequency of
      the engine
      can be modified, although its speed is far below 60 strokes a minute
      (more like 15 strokes
      a minute).
      Mr.Smith claims an efficiency of 1.7%. I think this is very high for
      such an engine, so we
      have to test this, isn't it ?

      Hubert