Explosion of virtual universities in Third World countries

  • Arun-Kumar Tripathi
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25 1:52 AM
      Greetings WAOEs,

      With many interesting hyperlinks, an interesting piece to think over the
      issues of DL and VU!

      The details about "African Virtual University" can be read at
      <http://www.avu.org> Please point your browser to
      <http://www.avu.org/uf/communique.htm> read about the Communique at Vice
      Chancellors Conference, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya and other
      issues!

      > FIRST-RATE ED FOR THIRD WORLD
      > Issue: Distance Learning
      > Malaysia, India, Kenya and other developing countries are looking
      > towards virtual universities to train workers for the high-tech jobs of the
      > new millennium. Because virtual universities are cheaper than setting up
      > traditional institutions, international development agencies like the World
      > Bank are eager to jump on the global classroom bandwagon. "We'll see an
      > explosion of virtual universities in Third World countries. It will be a
      > way to leapfrog ahead," predicted Shola Aboderin, chief academic officer of
      > the African Virtual University, an online institution created and managed
      > by the World Bank. Many countries are drawn to distance learning by the
      > fact that their existing educational systems cannot accommodate the vast
      > numbers of students looking for a college education. In Nigeria, for
      > example, only one-fourth of qualified students can get into college,
      > because there are not enough universities in sub-Saharan Africa.
      > Resource-strapped nations like India and Malaysia are attracted to the
      > relatively low cost of online education, both for the students and
      > the universities. "A very good Internet infrastructure costs a lot of
      > money up front, but when you amortize it per student over the years, it
      > makes sense," Aboderin said. She admits that virtual education is not
      > "the magic bullet," but argues that its potential is too important to
      > ignore.
      > [SOURCE: Wired, AUTHOR: Lakshmi Chaudhry]
      > <http://www.wired.com/news/print/1,1294,21434,00.html>

      Kind Regards
      Arun K. Tripathi