Re: [Wanna be Astronomers] SpaceX Plans Mars Colony of 80,000 Settlers

  • Glenn A. Walsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
      With all due respect, I have some concerns regarding actual settling on the surface of Mars. I think a large space station orbiting Mars, which would rotate to create artificial gravity, would be highly preferable in the beginning. People could commute to the Martian surface for exploration, mining, or other commercial purposes during the day, and commute back to the station at the end of the day.

      My concern is the effect on the human body of people living 24/7/365 in an environment with a much lower gravity. I am even more concerned that, with thousands of people on Mars, procreation is inevitable. A fetus on Mars would likely develop as if Martian gravity was natural to them. It is quite possible that a person born on Mars could never even visit the Earth, as their body could not handle the much greater gravity of our planet.

      Until we can invent a true "Star Trek-type" gravity, which can be implemented on the surface of Mars, I think it would be very unwise for people to spend 24/7/365 on a planet with such a low amount of gravity.

      gaw

      Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
      Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
      Electronic Mail - < siderostat1989@... >
      SpaceWatchtower Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >
      SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
      < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
      Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >
      Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >
      Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
      * Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
      < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
      * Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
      < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
      * Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
      < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
      * Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
      < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
      * Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
      < http://garespypost.tripod.com >
      * Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
      < http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >
      * Public Transit:
      < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
        Those of us who are also Transhumanists are very interested in questions like this.  In fact, at the International Space Development Conference (ISDC) in San Diego next May, we'll be having someone talking about asteroid living and how the gravity will effect us.  What do we do?

        Karen