Are Black Holes 2 Dimensional?

  • hiq_3000
    Message 1 of 3540 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi everybody! I'm new to this club, but I'm very
      interested in Astronomy and any related topic. Right now I'm
      reading the book "Black Holes and Baby Universes" by
      Stephen Hawking, and it made me think more in detail
      about black holes. They suck in everything from close
      to the event horizon and the matter goes in past the
      point of no return. After that it "disappears" from our
      space-time. Now my question is: Are black holes 2
      Dimensional, because they apperently suck everything in only
      from one side. What happens to the matter approaching
      the black hole from the opposite (back) side of the
      black hole? Any comment or theory to these two
      questions is appreciated! Thank you.
    • jefftibb
      Message 3540 of 3540 , Mar 13, 2002
        The SEDS site has a short list of Messier
        Marathon locations where people will congregate to count
        the Messier Objects.<br><br>If you would like to join
        a group and do it check out this