Constellation Corner Coordinates

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2012
      I am creating a 3D plot of thousands of stars in Google Sketchup and I would like to also create polygonal cones for all the constellations. Although it is easy to get RA/D coordinates of the stars for each of the constellations, I can't find the coordinates of the edges of the constellations.

      Is there an on-line source that lists the corners of each of the constellations? I can get close by using Google Sky but I much rather find a web page that I can create a text file from. I've searched and searched with lots of different key words and have had no luck.

      And greetings everyone from a new member. I'm getting back into astronomy as I get closer to retirement.
    • Markie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
        Not sure if the following links contain the data you are looking for because, although I understand what you are trying to do, my knowledge of maths and astronomy is limited.
        I apologise in advance if you already checked these sites out.
        Maybe there are links or references to the data you are looking for on the sites.

        Scroll down for Table, charts and TXT files of boundaries.

        Example chart showing Andromeda Constellation boundary from IAU (International Astronomical Union) web page.
        Andromeda Boundary

        Scroll well down to table of co-ordinates.

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          Thanks!!!!!!!!!
          The constellation location files in the link has the coordinates of each corner. I tried one out and it works perfectly. Now I just have to copy all 88 of the text files to an excel file to calculate the X,Y,Z coordinates from the RA/Dec numbers. It's the same as the calculations I did for all the stars so its just a copy/paste.

          Thanks again.