Re: [Wanna be Astronomers] Re: newbie question about LST & the Meridi

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Gregg,

      Got it figured out......read, re-read, re-read again, parsed the words, drew lines and circles.

      Now all I need is clear skies.....Michigan doesn't allow (seemingly) cloudless night skies for Nov-Mar.

      Happy New Year!

      Kim

      On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Gregg <starryskyn@...> wrote:

      When you say you were "unable locate Cygnus", what does that mean?
      You could not find a chart for it, or you could not spot it in the
      sky? Everything I try for 20h41m LST shows Deneb on the meridian for
      my location on Sept 20th at 9PM, and Cygnus stretching away towards
      the southwestern horizon.

      --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, Kim <junk1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Gregg,
      >
      > I'm sure my charts & software are correct (S&T Atlas and Sky6) so
      it must be
      > in my interpretation of the printed word, something common among
      new folks
      > I'll guess.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      >
      > Kim
      >
      > On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Gregg <starryskyn@...> wrote:
      >
      > > My sky chart for December 24th at 2:10PM local time, shows
      20H41m RA
      > > will cross the meridian. Then Deneb of Cygnus is on the meridian.
      > > The LST for that date and time is 20H41m.
      > > I don't think you are looking for Cygnus and Deneb on the correct
      > > chart. While Orion's belt is on the celestial equator (DEC 0*),
      > > Deneb at DEC +45* and Cygnus is north of that.
      > >
      > > --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com<wannabeastronomers%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "kim.morgan86" <junk1@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In a astronomy tutorial it's said if you know the Local Sideral
      > > Time,
      > > > you can go to an Atlas (Sky Chart), find the meridian, and
      locate a
      > > > constallation that has the approximate RA of the LST. It chose
      > > Orion
      > > > as an example. Worked like a charm. At LST of 06:xx you can
      > > clearly
      > > > see Orion's belt. So far, so good.
      > > >
      > > > Now I take and advance to LST of 20:xx. Using the same logic I
      > > should
      > > > be able to locate Cygnus (Deneb at RA 20:41) at the meridian ---
      > > > right? Since I'm posting this issue you can surmise I was unable
      > > > locate Cygnus.
      > > >
      > > > Where am I falling off the proverbial dock?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for any help.
      > > >
      > > > Kim Morgan

    • Dave Adalian
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Lines and circles?! You're starting to sound like an astrologer! Good luck with your stargazing and happy New Year!

        Same to everyone else and clear skies in '09!

        -- Dave