The Future of Manned Spaceflight (A Virtual Panel Discussion)

  • John C. Snider
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Folks,

      I recently coordinated a "virtual panel discussion" with three science
      fiction luminaries - Geoffrey A. Landis, M.M. Buckner and Adam Roberts -
      to discuss NASA's plans for a return to the moon, and humanity's near-
      term prospects for exploration of the solar system. I don't post here
      often, but I thought you might be interested...

      http://www.scifidimensions.com/Mar07/mannedspaceflight.htm

      Thanks!
      John
    • pygmando
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "John C. Snider"
        <editor@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > I recently coordinated a "virtual panel discussion" with three
        science
        > fiction luminaries - Geoffrey A. Landis, M.M. Buckner and Adam
        Roberts -
        > to discuss NASA's plans for a return to the moon, and humanity's
        near-
        > term prospects for exploration of the solar system. I don't post
        here
        > often, but I thought you might be interested...
        >
        > http://www.scifidimensions.com/Mar07/mannedspaceflight.htm
        >
        > Thanks!
        > John
        Hi John:
        Any private firm that has had the disasters that Nasa has had
        would be bankrupt. The space station that is a money black hole
        with any future payoff doubtful and the possiblity that a sun
        flare could kill all the occupants plus the fact we CANNOT go there
        after the shuttle is scrubbed.
        In the 50s when we developed missiles we set goals letting all the
        private firms send in propposals. In new developements you get a 5-10%
        success rate.
        To go to mars with people you have to go over 750kms
        the velocity of the solar wind, You need a plasm engine using
        the ionized hydrogen and helium elements. The ions go out 40,000 miles
        where you reach a turbalent barrier where temps reach a million
        degrees.
        Joe