Re: [Wanna be Astronomers] Theoretical Position of Barbarossa

  • appiusclaudiuspriscus
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 8 11:15 AM
      Thanks for your input!

      --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, pygmando <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "appiusclaudiuspriscus"
      > <appiusclaudiuspriscus@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not an expert on telescopes. I know dark, clear skies are
      > > increasingly rare. I recall that Tombaugh used a 13" with time
      > > exposures, c. 1930 near Flagstaff, for his ecliptic search down
      > mag
      > > +17. I also know that the 2003 USNO-B catalog taken from plates
      of
      > > big Schmidts, only goes to +20.9.
      > >
      > > Barbarossa should move about 10"/day retrograde, now, near
      > > opposition. Good luck!
      > >
      > > - Joseph C. Keller
      > Depending on far you are from the sun the temperature may be too
      > low to be seen in a telescope. When measuring COBE bolometers are
      > used which can detect ultra infra-red.
      > You could look at that data to see movement. At 10"/day your orbit
      > time is @ 360 years.
      > The other method would to hope that it passes by a bright stellar
      > object where it would cast a shadow.
      > Joe

    • appiusclaudiuspriscus
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 17 9:36 PM
        To: Dr. Robert L Millis, Director, Lowell Observatory, and Principal Investigator, Lowell
        Deep Ecliptic Survey

        c/o Dr. Marc W. Buie, Astronomer, Lowell Observatory (with readily found email address!),
        and Investigator, Lowell Deep Ecliptic Survey

        cc: ********; and, messageboard, Dr. Tom Van Flandern (www.metaresearch.org)

        ********* March 16, 2007

        Open letter to the Director of the Lowell Observatory

        Dear Sir:

        Like Prof. Lowell, I studied Mathematics at Harvard College (B. A., cumlaude, Mathematics,
        1977). The essential details of my recent work on Prof. Lowell's Planet X are posted, to Dr.
        Tom Van Flandern's "www.metaresearch.org" messageboard, under the name, "Joe Keller",
        in the thread "Requiem for Relativity". (I use Dr. Van Flandern's messageboard as an
        alternative to "ArXiv.org".)

        Planet X, which I have named Barbarossa, appears at

        RA 11h 18m 03.2s Decl -7deg 58' 46" on the La Silla sky survey Red plate
        SERC.ER.DSS2.713 dated January 31, 1987. Possibly there is a second appearance of
        Barbarossa at

        RA 11h 14m 36.0s -7deg 32' 17.5" on the Blue plate SERC.J.DSS1.713 dated May 8, 1983.

        Assuming a circular orbit and making first order approximations to correct for Earth
        parallax, Barbarossa has period 2640 yr. and is 191 AU from the sun. Accordingly, the
        resonances of the orbital periods of the outer planets have discrepancies which advance
        prograde with periods

        Jupiter:Saturn 5:2 2780 yr
        Saturn:Neptune 6:1 2180 yr
        Jupiter:Uranus 7:1 -5970 = -2985 * 2 yr (retrograde)
        Uranus:Neptune 2:1 4380 = 2190 * 2 yr
        Saturn:Uranus 3:1 1190 = 2380 / 2 yr.

        I discovered Barbarossa on February 15, 2007 as a sequence of statistical artifacts in the
        USNO-B1.0 catalog. I informed the U. S. Naval Observatory on February 21.

        I first saw the La Silla Red image of Barbarossa on March 4, and realized on March 5 that it
        is Barbarossa. By comparison with the four nearest cataloged stars, Barbarossa's Red
        magnitude is about +17.3. A 6% Red albedo would imply 46,000 mi diameter. Barbarossa
        might be either a giant planet or a cold brown dwarf.

        I realized yesterday, March 15, that the above La Silla Blue image is Barbarossa, which is
        dim in Blue. The pattern seen on this Univ. of Strasbourg "Aladin" image depends on one's
        monitor setting. At its best, it shows Barbarossa as a lean-to adjoining a nearby star with
        a separate USNO-B catalog number. It shows a moon of Barbarossa's (I've named the
        largest & next-largest moons, Frey & Freya) as a disjoint dark pixel 3" toward azimuth
        245. From my drawing of the best image obtained (Prof. Lowell drew lines on Mars; I draw
        pixel boxes), I estimate this moon to be 1.7 magnitudes dimmer than Barbarossa.

        The Red La Silla image shows no disjoint moon, nor any star near enough to confuse.
        Thorough computer search found the best fit for three points of light, was to have a moon
        1.2 magnitudes dimmer than Barbarossa, 2.5" away at azimuth 275; and another moon
        1.6 magnitudes dimmer 2" away at azimuth 75. Thus the Barbarossa system consistently
        appears parallel to the ecliptic. Furthermore the best fit for one point of light, lay outside
        the darkest pixel box, indicating either multiple sources or quickly varying magnitude. As
        a gravitationally bound body subject to Poincare instability, Barbarossa hardly can rotate
        appreciably during these 1 hr exposures.

        In 2002 at a Physics and Astronomy conference, cosmic ray expert Ian McDiarmid
        disparaged the statement that cosmic rays would be readily detected by ordinary
        photographic materials onboard airplanes [let alone at 7800 ft at La Silla]. A Kuiper Belt
        Object would leave a streak of this length, but even then, the magnitude would suggest
        another Pluto or Sedna.

        By great-circle extrapolation, with a rough correction for Earth parallax, Barbarossa's
        March 10, 2007 position is

        RA 11h 27m 10s Decl -9deg 18' 58".

        Alternatively, my statistically-derived greatest-likelihood great circle, estimates the
        Declination at this RA as

        Decl -9deg 05' 46" (for RA 11h 27m 10s)

        The greatest-likelihood great circle goes through this point with slope -7.35 arcminutes
        Decl per minute of RA.

        Sincerely,
        Joseph C. Keller, M. D.