Orion Nebula

  • T Haley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello Group, I took this image last night. It is a 5+ minute image
      take with my Canon Rebel XT DSLR, 2" T-adapter on my Celestron 80mm ED
      f/5 refractor mounted piggyback and tracking on my 8"Meade LX200 f/6.3
      SCT, and Manually guided using a Meade DSI guide Camera. In this image
      you find part of NGC1981 at the top, with NGC 1975, NGC 1973, NGC 1977
      to it's south, then M42, M43, and in the far south and bottom of the
      image is NGC 1980. I like this image through the C80mm ED rather than
      my 8" SCT because of the rich wide field image, that shows the
      nebulousity very nicely. With my SCT I can only get M42, and M43 in
      the image. I have included the information below as reference to how
      the image was taken, I have found that a 10 minute exposure, while it
      shows more of the gas/dust cloud it overexposes the trapizium and
      ruins the image IMO. I find a 5 or 6 minute exposure is a good amount
      of exposure time. This is a single image with no stacking and very
      little post-processing in PhotoShop 7.0.

      File Name Image_0420.JPG
      Camera Model Name Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
      Shooting Date/Time 10/30/2006 4:47:16 PM
      Tv (Shutter Speed) 1
      Av (Aperture Value) 0.0
      ISO Speed 800
      Image Size 3456x2304
      Flash Off
      Color Space sRGB
      File Size 7549 KB
      Owner's Name Tracey Haley

      Angular Separation 1.24'00" (1.3999degrees)
      Right Ascension 05 : 35.4 (h:m)
      Declination -05 : 27 (deg:m)
      Distance 1.6 (kly)
      Visual Brightness 4.0 (mag)