Live Video of DSOs via the Web

  • astrochannels
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2006

      We're currently in the advanced stages of betatesting live video feeds of deep space objects. So far, the experience has been both difficult and astounding.

      This is live video of the objects themselves via satellite. Depending on who and how many come to the showing will more or less drive the night's exploration itinerary. But we do plan to stop on M51, M101, M8, M17, M20, M16, M27, M57 and M33 (roughly in that order). The reason we're stopping all these "old familiars" is because we know this group knows what these look like through various scopes and ancillary equipment and can make comparisons to their own views, captures and photographs.  The next showing is tonight, Wednesday night the 27th, starting time roughly 02:30 UT (8:30 MDT). Current status will be refreshed upon any changes from 7:00 MDT on.

      If you're interested, please go to www.astrochannels.com and register. We require the brief registration information only to issue instructions by email and to get a head count to plan ahead for the number of participants. The first 150 persons to register will be issued the appropriate login information. Here are a couple of video samples of what we're able to do. These are MPEGs so you should have a player installed to play them, but work fine with Windows Media Player.

      The Lagoon Nebula:

      http://astrochannels.com/m8.html

      Wild Duck Cluster. This one is fun because it has something "unidentified" flying through it:

      http://astrochannels.com/m11.html