Observing the Sun using a home-made "solar-shield"

  • Math Heijen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 1:34 AM
      I have been observing the Sun for over a year now, using the Coronado PST and TAL 100RS
      (combined with the Baader Herschel Wedge). One of the problems I noticed during all the
      observing sessions was getting a good view of the Sun while you are sitting in the direct
      sunlight. I used to put a black T-shirt over my head, but I can tell you, you feel like your head
      starts to melt within a few minutes.

      I created a sort of "solar-shield" from Styrofoam, and it works very well for me. For a full
      report and some images of the construction (and the Sun in white light and H-alpha) follow
      this link:

      http://www.backyard-astro.com/blog/index.php/weblog/2006_07_27/

      Enjoy!

      Math