Re: [Wanna be Astronomers] New to group

  • Dave Adalian
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
      Always trust your good, old buddy Wikipedia to have an answer.  Here's their definition of UT:

       Universal Time (UT) is a timescale based on the rotation of the Earth. It is a modern continuation of the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), i.e., the mean solar time on the meridian of Greenwich, England, which is the conventional 0-meridian for geographic longitude. GMT is sometimes used, incorrectly, as a synonym for UTC. The old GMT has been split, in effect into UTC and UT1.

      Here's the original article, which is much lengthier:

      And, here's an explanation of UTC (aka Zulu Time):

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
        Thanks Carol!

        North Bay, huh?  I'm in Central Cal...a little south of Fresno.

        I have been watching Mars over the past couple of weeks...and can find a few of the constellations on my own.  Yes, looking at the sky is much more fun than reading the books - hehehe.

        Vicky

        Carol Widger <c.twig@...> wrote:
        Hi Vicky!

        "  I'm in Pacific Time Zone (California.)"

        Me too, in the SF North Bay area!

        "11/2   New Moon (lunation 1025) occurs at 1:25;

        The new moon occurs at 1:25. then starts waxing (getting bigger) In a few days, you will see a sliver .

         the asteroid 3 Juno is stationary at 20:00"

        Someone else should help as to where you'd find it. , Stationary means its not going anywhere, apparent (to the eyes).

        Even when I 'think' I understand what is being said, seeing these things in writing makes my brain spin - and I've always believed myself to be a somewhat intelligent woman...

        Get out of the books, and go look at the sky!
        Pick out one small area, maybe a group of constellations, cruise it, and make notes on a map. Go back in later and look them up. Tonight, Try Taurus and Aries- The Pleaides, Haiades, note where you see double stars, or little blobs, and find out later what you were looking at. Note the color of the stars, Look up their names.
        Look at Mars!
        Then go back to the books and learn what you were looking at.

        I was introduced to this last May, and since then I've seen some amazing things through binoculars and telescopes that make me want to learn more.  Unfortunately, my 'teacher' lives near Atlanta, GA - and even though he tries, it's hard to accurately describe what I'm looking at over the phone well enough for him to tell me what it is I'm actually seeing when he's looking at a three-hours older sky.

        The Sky is the same. Just look farther to the east, and have star map handy. Have him pick out something overhead, and you can see it in the east. I.e. if He's watching Mars this week, it will be in the zenith(directly overhead) at midnight.At 9 PST it will be about halfway up in the east Aries.

        Cheerio and clear skies tonight!
        Carol

        Follow the Cloud

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Victoria Walters
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
          Thanks Jeff,

          So, when it reads "New Moon (lunation 1025)" is the 1025 refering to 10/25?

          I will purchase the book you recommended - and do so via the link to Amazon you suggested.

          Vicky

          Jeff Tibb <jefftibb@...> wrote:
          Vicky,

          These times are all listed as Universal Time or UT. That is the time
          in Greenwich, England and you will have to adjust each reading to
          match your local time.

          I live in the Central Time Zone and I need to subtract 6 hours from
          Universal to have the events match up with Central Standard Time.
          During Daylight Savings Time, I only need to subtract 5 hours.

          You will of course now need to subtract eight hours and seven during
          PDT. Remember that the event will occur one calendar day earlier for
          you as well if it happens at a time less than 8:00 UT. So keep the
          date straight too.

          A lunation is that moment in time when a true 'New Moon' occurs. The
          Moon goes from shrinking in size (old moon) to all dark at this hour.
          It is of course too close to the Sun looking from the Earth for us to
          see it at all at this time.

          This will occur at 10:25 UT - so for you it will be 2:25AM.

          Juno will 'stand still' means that the Earth will 'catch up' to Juno
          in its orbit and pass it at this time. For Earth based observers this
          means that Juno will be exactly opposite the Sun in the sky att hat
          time. It will rise at sun set and set at sun rise.

          It also will appear to more backward in its path over a few weeks as
          we pass it relative to the stars behind it. This is
          called 'retrograde motion' and is due to how much closer to the Earth
          it is than the stars and as we pass it, it will appear to change
          direction but that is just due to our position being in motion as it
          Juno's.

          And what Carol said: Look into some books. One I always recommend
          is "40 Nights To Knowing the Sky" by Fred Schapf.

          OH, let me plug the AAVSO now. This great professional - amateur
          astronomical society has done great research for 100 years now and
          you can help them by linking to anything you buy from Amazon.Com by
          first going through their link. That gives AAVSO 5% of the proceeds
          to continue their work.

          Link here:
          http://www.aavso.org/aavso/support/amazon.shtml

          Click the link and simply shop on Amazon as you normally would. All
          prices remain the same and you get to help scientific research at the
          same time...

          Jeff

          --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, Victoria Walters
          <vikilee2004@y...> wrote:

          > Thanks Carol!

          > So, in light of that - would you interpret the first entry on the
          November Astronomy Calendar?  I'm in Pacific Time Zone (California.)

          > "11/2   New Moon (lunation 1025) occurs at 1:25; the asteroid 3
          Juno is stationary at 20:00"

          > Even when I 'think' I understand what is being said, seeing these
          things in writing makes my brain spin - and I've always believed
          myself to be a somewhat intelligent woman...

          > I was introduced to this last May, and since then I've seen some
          amazing things through binoculars and telescopes that make me want to
          learn more.  Unfortunately, my 'teacher' lives near Atlanta, GA - and
          even though he tries, it's hard to accurately describe what I'm
          looking at over the phone well enough for him to tell me what it is
          I'm actually seeing when he's looking at a three-hours older sky.

          > Vicky
          >
          > Carol Widger <c.twig@v...> wrote:
          > Hi Vickie!

          > You can't learn if you don't ask questions!

          > Such as: How do you read an Astronomy Calendar? What is UT time?
          >

          > UT is universal time, the time in Greenwich observatory , in
          England. If you live in the States, subtract 5 hours for EST, 6 hours
          for CST, 7 hours for MST, and 8 hours for PST.

          http://www.heavens-above.com/

          > Register, plug in your location, and there it is. You can even set
          it for a time or date in the future, to plan ahead for an evening...
          > Once you register, you can set it to remember you. I have found
          this site very valuable, especially when the weather is iffy, and the
          viewing window is short. Grab a map and run!

          > If you have a Palm, or other PDA, there are simple starmaps to
          download that are very helpful....

          > Don't forget to look up at midnight! Mars will be at opposition
          tonight, and straight overhead. Get out the scope or binoculars, and
          have a party!
          > Hope that helps!

          > Carol

          > 38.11N, 122.57W

          > Science kits Science education Astronomy gift Astronomy magazine
          Astronomy telescope Astronomy star name

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Follow the Cloud

          > ---------------------------------
          >  Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

          Follow the Cloud

        • Jeff Tibb
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
            Thanks for supporting AAVSO! I buy all my books and
            DVD's through that link now.

            The 1025 refers to 10:25 AM - Universal Time I believe
            as the New Moon happens today.

            So subtract 8 hours from that and you will have your
            local (PST) time of 2:25AM.

            === message truncated ===
          • Dave Adalian

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hi Dave!  I didn't realize you were part of this group.  Butch suggested that I look for astronomy interest groups on Yahoo...I did...and found this one to join.

                Vicky

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Hey, I'm just north of Fresno.

                  Know of good places to get astronomy fixes and equipment, and gatherings?
                • Victoria Walters
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                    A recent Internet search led me to a group in Tulare, which is south
                    of where I am...and even further south from you.

                    --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "quintaxica"
                    <kinetica@e...> wrote:

                    > Hey, I'm just north of Fresno.
                    >
                    > Know of good places to get astronomy fixes and equipment, and
                    gatherings?

                  • Jeff Tibb
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                      The Sky & Telescope website has an active directory of
                      clubs nationwide.

                      You can also make contact with the Astronomical League
                      which is the parent organization for most clubs and
                      they too can steer you in the right direction.

                      I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in
                      astronomy to visit with your local 'real life'
                      astronomy club. They are usually very friendly and
                      knowledgable and can help you get started in the right
                      way. (ie. Don't spend a lot of money right away! Visit
                      with folks who know things first.)

                      --- Victoria Walters <vikilee2004@...> wrote:

                      > A recent Internet search led me to a group in
                      > Tulare, which is south
                      > of where I am...and even further south from you.
                      >
                      > --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "quintaxica"
                      > <kinetica@e...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey, I'm just north of Fresno.
                      > >
                      > > Know of good places to get astronomy fixes and
                      > equipment, and
                      > gatherings?

                    • Dave Adalian
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                        For Fresno astronomy gatherings, try this:

                      • douglaswheelock@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 5, 2012
                          Hi all,
                          My name is Doug and live in Nottinghamshire UK, have had an interest in astronomy for many years but have never done anything about it until now. Recently purchased a basic telescope 50mm with 500mm focal range, starting off with basic equipment until i gain more experience and then will invest in better upgrade or put an offer in for hubble. Anyway thats the intro over with and look forward to taking part in the group..