RE: [Wanna be Astronomers] Silly Question?

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2004
      Hi,

      Does anyone have an interest in meteorites and in particular searching
      for them. I am just after some advice as to whether a metal detector is
      a useful tool and if so are there particular features that I should look
      out for. I know it's a bit of a needle in a haystack hobby but it will
      give me something to do while walking the dog!!

      Thanks

      Dawn
      Essex
      ENGLAND
    • Rick M
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
        Hello Dawn,
        Have never tried it but have wanted too, I have seen programs
        where the folks used metal detectors for this very purpose,since most
        all meteorites contain metals of one kind or another it should work
        great for finding things under the surface, not sure what you should
        look for in one though, basically something comfortable and not to
        heavy, good luck with the hobby,one never knows,sure sounds like fun
        so let us know when you find the big one,though as you say it may be
        a needle in the hay stack.
        =====
        Rick M
        my astronomy & atm pages
        http://ca.geocities.com/starman_962
      • Haroldo Val de Lobo
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
          Not silly, not silly, but where is the question? That's the true needle...
          Hugs!

          Rick M <starman_962@...> wrote:

          Hello Dawn,
          Have never tried it but have wanted too, I have seen programs
          where the folks used metal detectors for this very purpose,since most
          all meteorites contain metals of one kind or another it should work
          great for finding things under the surface, not sure what you should
          look for in one though, basically something comfortable and not to
          heavy, good luck with the hobby,one never knows,sure sounds like fun
          so let us know when you find the big one,though as you say it may be
          a needle in the hay stack.
          =====
          Rick M
          my astronomy & atm pages
          http://ca.geocities.com/starman_962

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/1.XolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!

        • Dawn
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
            Message
            Thanks guys - the sales dept at the metal detector store had never been asked this either. I found some good sites with meteorites and meteorwrongs!! That helped alot for visual clues. The problem that I think I will come across is that most meteorites contain iron and most detectors discriminate against iron as that tends to be what most junk is made of. I saw a program recently where some guy has become a millionaire finding and selling meteorites. I'll remember you two for responding if I get lucky!!

            Dawn