Re: [Wanna be Astronomers] Re: Why I Ask Tons of Questions (was: Sun Brightness)

  • Devyani Haldipur
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      Ask away John - we're all learning with you. :)

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
        There are certainly cyclic variations in SOlar output - at about 0.1 percent level - correlated with the Sunspot cycle. SOme believe that at the time of the Maunder minimum it could have been about 0.5 percent less.

        Some long term variation studies have concluded that in historical times the sun couldn't have been much dimmer than it is at activity minimum.

        Rathna

        Over the past 1,000 to 2,000 years, has the trend been for the sun to
        be slowly getting brighter, dimmer, or pretty much staying the same?

        -- John

      • Carl S
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
          Somewhat related - I read an article a few days ago (can't remember
          where) that said that the earth was dimming due to aerosal particles
          and dust.

          Carl

          --- "Dr.N.Rathnasree" <rathnasree63@...> wrote:

          > There are certainly cyclic variations in SOlar output - at about 0.1
          > percent level - correlated with the Sunspot cycle. SOme believe that
          > at the time of the Maunder minimum it could have been about 0.5
          > percent less.
          >
          > Some long term variation studies have concluded that in historical
          > times the sun couldn't have been much dimmer than it is at activity
          > minimum.
          >
          > Rathna

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • pygmando
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
            --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, Carl S <crshuby@y...>
            wrote:
            > Somewhat related - I read an article a few days ago (can't remember
            > where) that said that the earth was dimming due to aerosal particles
            > and dust.
            >
            > Carl
            >
            > --- "Dr.N.Rathnasree" <rathnasree63@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > There are certainly cyclic variations in SOlar output - at about
            0.1
            > > percent level - correlated with the Sunspot cycle. SOme believe
            that
            > > at the time of the Maunder minimum it could have been about 0.5
            > > percent less.
            > >
            > > Some long term variation studies have concluded that in historical
            > > times the sun couldn't have been much dimmer than it is at
            activity
            > > minimum.
            > >
            > > Rathna

            Hi John:
            Excellent question. We have only been able to measure the suns
            brightness quite recently. The visible spectrum is only a small
            part of the suns radiative power with most coming from soft uv, had
            uv,X-ray, cosmic rays and gamma rays.
            We know that when the sun rotates around the galaxy it has to pass
            near or through areas of heavy dust commonly called arms. Our record
            of ice ages show that these dusty conditions build up quite slowly
            with brighter conditions coming on relatively fast giving us massive
            flooding.
            SOHO has pictures of dark matter falling into the sun which like a
            bonfire vaporizes the material or if of large amounts would cool off
            the sun. The suns outer surface is 5800 degree while sun spots which
            begin as depressions are measured at 4000 degress.
            Joe