[Wanna be Astronomers] Re: Mars

  • blackstar7us
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Tibb <jefftibb@y...>
      wrote:
      > Greg,
      >
      > Come on out here to the southern plains where we are
      > suffering through a drought.
      >
      > It's clear here every day and every night, but it is
      > also 100 degrees every day and the grass is getting
      > crunchy.

      Well its not in the 100's here but hight 90's,with all this rain,I
      hope I don't have to tell you how hot it is here.Its a two shirt
      place... And August is hotter than July,why we might have to go to a
      three shirts a day,wooo.I've been out in your neck of the woods,so to
      speak,once,its the only time we had to spray water on the AC to get
      it to cool the house down.Your area is dry heat.But your nights cool
      down a bit,which takes the edge, off a little...Our night cool down
      some watt,but its still a wet heat here.Our winters are better,why we
      sometime wear shorts here,a good trade off.
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 28, 2003
        I took my little scope out last night and took a nice look at Mars. I
        could see some black features on Mars but little detail. But I was
        happy enough that I could actually see some features on Mars.

        I haven't posted here in quite some time so...I posted something!
      • starman2017
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 29, 2003
          --- In wannabeastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <Cygnus81@a...>
          wrote:
          > I took my little scope out last night and took a nice look at Mars.
          > could see some black features on Mars

          At least that shows that the dust storm people here feared might
          spoil their observations hasn't yet happened.

          but little detail. But I was
          > happy enough that I could actually see some features on Mars.
          >
          > I haven't posted here in quite some time so...I posted something!
        • Kipperkid
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 29, 2003
            > I haven't posted here in quite some time so...I

            Me Either,
            Had a great night last week. I work nightshift, and am known to have a love
            of things astronomical by my workmates. One of them has a 60mm refractor,
            that belonged to his father or uncle, that I fixed for him a month or so ago
            (loose focuser and miss matched eyepieceholders). He has only used it in the
            day time to look at the landscape. He was asking if he could see " Any
            stars" with his telescope, so I gave him an idea of what was available to
            him. He was absolutely astounded by what he might see. I've also had others
            asking if I had been looking at Mars lately and what I could see, (as well
            as loonies asking if I was going home to Mars, or if the little green men
            were coming, and the perennial favourite "do you think man has REALLY walked
            on the Moon??") So I told this guy to bring in his scope, I also brought in
            mine (10" dob). We were rewarded with a beautiful night. The whole shift of
            10 got to see Mars, with detail in both scopes, Also took in the Moon, a
            couple of bright clusters and my favourite public party piece Omega Centuri.
            Just before the shift finished four of us went back out and caught a lovely
            view of Saturn, although we couldn't make out any divisions in the rings, it
            is still great to hear peoples first reaction to seeing things that I have
            become accustomed to.
            I now have one guy who wants to build a scope (grind the mirror and
            everything) with me over the summer (Southern) and three others who want to
            know where to get/buy a telescope and which is a good one to get.
            Hopefully going to get a fine night tonight, I haven't had a clear night
            since before Mars was at its closest. Tonight the Astro society (
            http://www.astronomynz.org.nz/ ) I belong to is having a Mars viewing night
            for it's members.
            Wish us well. Roger. G. (New Zealand)
          • MGC
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 19, 2008
              Any one got any info, or may have seen Mars
              lately.

              I came across a note on a bulletin board
              recently that it's at it's closest approach
              in centuries.

              The report claims it will appear as large
              as the moon.

              I find that exceedingly hard to beleive.

              However, I have not had a chance to get out and look.
              Fate would have it, I'm away on business and
              in a major metropolitan enviroment.
              Where you can barely see the sun, half the time.

            • Jeff Tibb
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 19, 2008
                I was wondering when this old email would re-surface!

                Some of us in our (real life astronomy) club were just discussing it a week ago and we thought maybe just maybe it had finally been put to rest. I guess not.

                You are correct to be suspicious of such things.

                In 2003 Mars made its closest known approach in human history.

                There was a note that floated around which was kind of poorly worded that stated that if you looked through a telescope (and I do not recall the specifications) then Mars would appear as large in the eyepiece as the moon does in the sky to the naked eye.

                Mars will never be as big in our sky as our moon, and the close approach of 2003 is long a memory but somehow this note finds a way to resurface every year....

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 19, 2008
                  Mars currently is setteing in the west just before sunset:
                  For more info on that "e-mail"

                  see:
                  http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/07jul_marshoax.htm
                  Ron

                  > Any one got any info, or may have seen Mars
                  > lately.
                  >
                  > I came across a note on a bulletin board
                  > recently that it's at it's closest approach
                  > in centuries.
                  >
                  > The report claims it will appear as large
                  > as the moon.
                  >
                  > I find that exceedingly hard to beleive.
                  >
                  > However, I have not had a chance to get out and look.
                  > Fate would have it, I'm away on business and
                  > in a major metropolitan enviroment.
                  > Where you can barely see the sun, half the time.

                • Dave Adalian
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 19, 2008
                    It's the ol' 2003 Mars hoax.  Usually it comes in email form.  Read about it here:

                    But, you can see Mars this week (and all the other planets, by the way), just not very well since Mars is headed to the other side of the sun at the moment.  Read my latest astronomy column for the details.

                    -- Dave

                    Any one got any info, or may have seen Mars
                    lately.

                    I came across a note on a bulletin board
                    recently that it's at it's closest approach
                    in centuries.

                    The report claims it will appear as large
                    as the moon.

                    I find that exceedingly hard to beleive.

                    However, I have not had a chance to get out and look.
                    Fate would have it, I'm away on business and
                    in a major metropolitan enviroment.
                    Where you can barely see the sun, half the time.

                  • Artist/Author Charles Brown
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 19, 2008
                      Jeff your note hit a chord with me-mars in 2003 was when my love for astronomy really resurfaced- I am an artist by profession and spent the summer on my roof mesmerized by it and painting it every night. Hopefully you wont think this is spam but if you want to check out my art wanted website link below you can see one of the paintings there. Mars with a full bloody moon and shooting stars all around!!!! Thanks-CBrown

                      VIEW MY ONLINE ARTISTS' PORTFOLIO AT  www.ArtWanted.com/artistcbrown
                      and preview and purchase my two artistic and poetic manifestos at http://stores.lulu.com/novelistcbrown
                      THANKS!!!

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 20, 2008
                        Hi Jeff

                        I too was left completely confused by such an email some time ago.

                        Maybe the sender meant that if you magnified Mars to be as large as naked eye moon, you would see about the same degree of detail on Mars as naked eye picks up on Moon.

                        Maybe.

                        Ali

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 20, 2008
                          During the close approach of 2003, Mars, when magnified at 100 times in a telescope, appeared to be the same size as the full moon appears to the naked eye.  It was very, very cool.

                          When people read that in the media all they got out of it was "Mars is going to be as big as the full moon!" and the hoax was born.  Now, five years later, it still refuses to die.

                          -- Dave

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 22, 2008
                            Thanks Dave

                            Ali

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 8, 2012
                              I was trying to get in between clouds, and a Vail of light clouds set in with the moon blocking detail and small turbulence for this imaging secession about a 2 to 3 over 10.
                              On the first shot of that night shows the southern polar region starting to develop (I think), but a poor night with the clouds refracting the moon's light a tough time.

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/42637403@N06/6910678882/in/photostream

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/42637403@N06/6909971096/in/photostream/

                              Joe Rome – Austin Texas
                            • Michael Heim, KD0AR
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 8, 2012
                                Joe, your mars images are incredible!

                                I've been following your technique and increasing the capture speed and although I'm nowhere near as fast as your Flea, my Mars images have improved.  What I did the last time I photographed Mars was to go with a 240X320 frame and upped the frame rate to 30 fps, my max with the cheapie webcam.  quality increased tremendously.  I tried the same thing on Saturn last night, but Saturn is so much dimmer, I couldnt get enough light using both barlows.  My last Mars image is here:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/32416606@N05/6867840120/in/photostream

                                I'm just using a 6" newt, so considering that, I think that if the object is bright enough, that is the way to go with it.

                                Michael Heim, KD0AR
                                Chief Engineer WWGY, WKST, WJST
                                New Castle, PA

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 8, 2012
                                  I am amazed you can get away with two barlows, and your image is outstanding for a 6" scope, you had very good focus and collimation.  Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of at all.  Very good work.

                                  I am in Austin, Texas and had 2 8+ nights in the last three years, jet stream kills me.  Here is a shot from one of those nights, you will have to read the description below the image.

                                  Joe Rome