Re: Recap

  • jefftibb
    Message 1 of 3540 , Jun 6, 2001
      Jim,<br><br>Your analysis of the ORV vs SRE looks
      quite interesting. I will need to spend more time with
      it than I have so far in order to understand it. It
      is much more straight forward looking than it was in
      the past.<br><br>However it now seems that you are
      attempting to eliminate the entire supernova light curve
      discussion based upon the unavailability of angular data. I
      don�t feel that this needs to be done for a number of
      reasons:<br><br>1) This discussion about angular data should
      probably be entered under one of two previous objections.
      Either objection 1 � What is being observed is not
      actually a Type Ia SNe.<br>Or Objection 4 � The sample of
      Type Ia SNe observed locally is not a representative
      sample of Type Ia.<br><br> This is because your
      objection here seems to assume that these are unique events
      and not subject to standard Type Ia analysis. The
      only reason to search for angular data would be to
      establish a distance which is substantially different from
      what is assumed by the Standard Cosmological Model. If
      these objects are in fact far closer than assumed and
      this can be proven by other methods, then we have a
      new objection or a major problem with the Standard
      Model. Not seeing such evidence I think we should
      continue on with the discussion of objections 1 and 4 as
      previously stated.<br><br>2) There are other ways of
      determining whether an object fits the standard model of a SN
      Type Ia without knowing its distance before hand. I am
      willing to begin discussing this information with you at
      this time if you think we should go there next. As I
      have said previously I was planning on making sure
      that we had agreed on a framework for discussion
      first. If we have reached an agreement on a framework
      then I would be ready to begin substantive discussion
      on one of the objections previously
      outlined.<br><br>3) You have stated that we should ��not have the
      paradigm leading the discussion�� However to throw out all
      of the data which is based upon one set of
      assumptions and can not be verified by another set of
      assumptions is to do exactly that. It would be however to
      allow a static universe to rule unchallanged until such
      measurements were taken. It is my belief (unprovable at this
      time by me) that the reason no such angular data was
      recorded was because the light sources acted as �point
      sources�. At the distance involved, it would be impossible
      to record any angular data. I am however confident
      that the teams would be able to record the angular
      data for the galaxies in which these events
      occurred.<br><br>So based upon the preceding reasons I do not feel
      that we should shelve our discussion on SNe Type Ia
      and the evidence they present for light curve
      stretching.<br><br>One thing that you said at the end of your note
      underlines for me how important this work is.<br><br>You
      said:<br>�� saying it has such and such a shift, therefore it
      must be at such and such a distance leads to folly.
      ��<br><br>One of the possible benefits of this research would
      be a confirmation (or denial) of the straight line
      relationship between red shifting and speed of recession.
      Therefore to shelve discussion of such research when there
      seems to be a realistic possibility that it will yield
      a confirmation (or denial) of the basic assumption
      used for long distance measurement would seem to be a
    • jefftibb
      Message 3540 of 3540 , Mar 13, 2002
        The SEDS site has a short list of Messier
        Marathon locations where people will congregate to count
        the Messier Objects.<br><br>If you would like to join
        a group and do it check out this