Re: New Telescope

  • fidl_yard
    Message 1 of 3540 , Apr 1, 2001
      diffusenebula,<br><br>My binoculars cost a little
      over $200, but that was around 1980, although I don't
      think you will have to spend much more than that today.
      Don't go much over 7-power (not more than 10x) if you
      plan to hand-hold them. It's really hard to hold them
      steady; the higher the magnification the more difficult
      it is to hold them on an object because your field
      of view is reduced and any movement is greatly
      exaggerated. If you are going to use them exclusively on a
      tripod it doesn't matter, but the lower power glasses
      are much more versatile. Also I wouldn't recommend a
      smaller objective lens diameter than 50mm because you
      need the light gathering power that you get from the
      larger objectives. On the other hand, the larger the
      objectives, the heavier the instrument so I think that 7X50
      is about the best compromise. <br><br>Charles
    • jefftibb
      Message 3540 of 3540 , Mar 13, 2002
        The SEDS site has a short list of Messier
        Marathon locations where people will congregate to count
        the Messier Objects.<br><br>If you would like to join
        a group and do it check out this