Fwd: Picked from Malaysia Today

  • mylias
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008

      June 30, 2008

      It is a misguided perception that refuge can only be sought when one is detained under preventive laws. Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim's earlier statement which criticized the Turkish Embassy and the Ambassador for having allowed Anwar to seek refuge in its premises is devoid of any legal basis.

      The Foreign Minister commented that Anwar did not qualify for any sort of international or diplomatic protection as he is being sought for criminal investigation. Such an irresponsible statement must not go unchallenged.

      Firstly, the fact remains that , Anwar is an innocent man and has not been convicted of any offence. Todate, the allegation remains to be a police report. He has yet to be called for investigation.

      Secondly, Anwar has openly informed and had in fact issued a press statement to notify the public of his whereabouts. Certainly, that in no way reflects his intention of running from the law. In fact, Anwar has mentioned that he would immediately leave the Embassy should a complete assurance of his safety be given by the Malaysian government.

      Article 1 of the Geneva Convention 1951, as amended by the 1967 Protocol, which has formed part of the corpus of customary international law has defined a refugee as:

      "A person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.."

      Anwar's call for categorical assurance of his safety is legitimate. Hitherto, he has received several death threats and that clearly ought not to be brushed off lightly. Furthermore, in 1998, Anwar was nearly beaten to death in custody, whilst under detention for trumped-up charges of corruption and sodomy. There is no guarantee that history will not repeat itself, especially considering Anwar's triumphant return to politics which earned him the wrath and ire of the powers that be and the recent series of events which confirmed past suspicions of a tainted judiciary and a corrupted police force. One must not discount the highly shocking revelations of the Lingam tape, Datuk Ian Chin's confession and the Altantuya murder case.

      Anwar had also emphasized that he has recently acquired new evidence which points to the direct involvement of the present Attorney-General and Inspector General of Police in fabricating evidence during the 1998-1999 Anwar Trials. There remains the obvious great risk of implicating such high-profile individuals, each responsible for the implementation of the law, of which Anwar is subjected to. In having knowledge of the latest evidence in Anwar's possession, it would not logically be in the best interest of the Attorney-General nor the Inspector-General Police to ensure that Anwar's trial is fair and free or that his personal safety is guaranteed.

      Most importantly, the existence of assassination threats is enough evidence to show that he is hardly neither safe nor secure. Failure by the Prime Minister himself to unequivocally guarantee his safety would only mean that his fears are justified.

      Providing refuge is far from "meddling in internal affairs". It is fulfilling an obligation. International law is replete with evidence that gross violation of human rights, which include being beaten whilst in custody, constitutes torture. In fact, even if assuming he is subsequently charged, he is entitled to remain and not be expelled from Turkish grounds, should the government fail to provide adequate security or assure him of a fair and just trial. The ban on refoulement, which again is customary international law has also been included in Article 3 of the United Nations Convention Against Torture 1984 where it is stated that "no State Party shall expel, return ("refouler") or extradite a person to another State where there are substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture".
      It is not without sound reason that the premises of the Turkish embassy remain inviolable under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961. The Malaysian government must respect Turkey's sovereign right to provide safety and protection to a person seeking refuge in its premises or even to grant political asylum if it so wishes. It would be a clear insult to assume that the embassy did not consider the facts and legal reasons to support its actions under International Law.

      Migration or seeking refuge in order to avoid persecution and torture is not an act of "running away" from the law. Rather, it is to run into the arms of law, as one seeks justice and fairness. If we were to look at history, even the prophet Muhammad s.a.w had left Mecca for Medina, with the assistance of the Ansars as political persecution had resulted in gross violation of human rights and widespread torture. Injustice must not be condoned, it must be condemned.

      As reiterated by Anwar, the issue of paramount importance is safety, which thus far is of no guarantee. The past speaks volume of what Anwar is expecting, and clearly one cannot blame him if he expects the worst.

      YUSMADI YUSOFF
      Member of Parliament Malaysia
      Balik Pulau
      Chairman, Strategy & International Affairs Angkatan Muda KeADILan (AMK)

      --
      visit my blog at http://when-i-m-65.blogspot.com

      or http://17606.leisureaudiosales.com/retail.cgi
    • Mohammed Tamin Abdul Halim
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
        Yes...., The Article 1 of the Geneva Convention 1951....., does say as below:-

        "A person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for
        reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular
        social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his
        nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to
        avail himself of the protection of that country....."

        But, Anwar is not hiding in a foreign Embassy because of ANY of the
        above. This coward is hiding because someone is accusing him of
        sodomising that someone's backside !!!!

        Why doesn't he (Anwar) just go after or confront that someone - Face
        To Face and in a Gentlemenly manner, and ask that someone why did he
        had done so - in reporting such so-called 'Lies' - instead of hiding
        like a child (perhaps waiting for the CIA covert 'black ops' forces to
        'extract' and save him) in some foreigner's home!?

        Instead, he (Anwar) is too quick to accuse the conspiracy of perhaps
        The Police, The AG, The BN government, The UMNO party and even The
        Deputy Prime Minister and God knows who else he might point his finger
        to - except HIMSELF! And besides he (Anwar) offers no proof
        whatsoever that there are forces out to frame him. Why don't he just
        stick to and focus on the issue of the accusation of the lad -
        Shaifull is it? Please dont't deflect the issues here.

        The people just want to know whether he really 'main buntut' somebody
        or not? People are not interested in conspiracy issues here!

        In fact, the 9-11 (Sept. 11 tragedy) conspiracy issue is by far, a
        bigger story than a mere 'conspiracy' against Anwar. And yet, not
        many are willing to discuss the 9-11 issue! So, why must we waste
        time on this so-called conspiracy against him?

        Mind you, he has left Pak Lah alone on this issue, though!
        Ironically, why do we ask? Unlike 10 years ago, he was quick to blame
        Dr. Mahathir of conspiring in putting him into jail !!

        How long will it take for the general masses to understand and see the
        great 'lakonan' in this guy !?

        I just hope that the Muslims (especially in Malaysia) will perform the
        Solat & Doa Istikharah on this Anwar guy, just to find out for
        themselves whether he is really a FRAUD or not!

        Wassalam,

        (suratcyber@...)

        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM, mylias <mylias@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > an act of "running away" from the law. Rather, it is to run into the arms of
        > law, as one seeks justice and fairness. If we were to look at history, even
        > the prophet Muhammad s.a.w had left Mecca for Medina, with the assistance of
        > the Ansars as political persecution had resulted in gross violation of human
        > rights and widespread torture. Injustice must not be condoned, it must be
        > condemned.
        >
        > As reiterated by Anwar, the issue of paramount importance is safety, which
        > thus far is of no guarantee. The past speaks volume of what Anwar is
        > expecting, and clearly one cannot blame him if he expects the worst.
        >
        > YUSMADI YUSOFF
        > Member of Parliament Malaysia
        > Balik Pulau
        > Chairman, Strategy & International Affairs Angkatan Muda KeADILan (AMK)

      • Mat Kamil Awang
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
          Maybe the writer thinks that Anwar is covered under this Article 1 of
          the Geneva Convention 1951 due to "membership of a particular social
          group" which in the writer's opinon that Anwar is a homosexual?

          On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Mohammed Tamin Abdul Halim
          <suratcyber@...> wrote:
          > Yes...., The Article 1 of the Geneva Convention 1951....., does say as
          > below:-
          >
          > "A person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for
          > reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular
          > social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his
          > nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to
          > avail himself of the protection of that country....."
          >
          > But, Anwar is not hiding in a foreign Embassy because of ANY of the
          > above. This coward is hiding because someone is accusing him of
          > sodomising that someone's backside !!!!

        • buhairi yaakub
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
            MasyaAllah!!!Bawak beristighfar banyak2...jgn kita jugak terlibat menuduh dan menfitnah...besar dosanya tu.Dosa kepada Allah boleh mintak ampun dgn Allah...dosa sesama manusia nak kena mintak ampun kpd tuan punya diri.

            There is big possibility that this new accusation is POLITICALLY motivated...orchestrated by some people who are afraid losing power to Anwar.By hook or by crook, they have to get rid of him...becoz too much at stake if they lose the power to Pakatan Rakyat and Anwar. This accusation is nothing new as it happened before 10 years ago and Anwar had been ACQUITED AND FOUND NOT GUILTY from the same previous charges before.

            As such, Anwar is entitled to be offered protection by Turkish embassy or any other foreign embassies for someone being POLITICALLY oppressed.

            The truth will prevail...Wallahua'lam.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
              Saudara Buhairi;

              He escaped due to techicalities with 2-1 judgement. the reason for the
              overturn is the conflicting dates. But ALL 3 judges of the opinion
              that the SODOMY occured.

              Please read the judgement yourself. Do nto just rely on words of mouth.

              In this episode also whatever happens Anwar has the most to gain. He
              is banking on the public not to believe this accusation and he also
              could not get 30 MP to defect. He is desparate and the only way to get
              his way is to get the public to revolt or demonstrate. With the the
              current government will fall.

              So I do not care whether he really sodomized or not but the what I am
              sure is I do not want Anwar to be PM of Malaysia. I do not need to
              minta ampun to Anwar, but he need minta forgiveness from me for making
              me almost lose my home (thru his prescription accodring to IMF
              recommendation) during the 1997-1998 economic downturn.

              Another thing is, if you read properly my reply I did not say Anwar is
              a homosexual buat I wrote was QUESTION "Maybe the WRITER thinks Anwar
              is a homosexual?"

              Janganlah kita taksub sangat sehingga buta kan mata dan buta kan hati
              sampai apa yang ditulis pun tak dapat di baca dengan betul.

              Sekian.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
                Ini the exact wordings daripada Federal Court panel of 3 judges on 24
                Spetember 2004

                " Even though reading the appeal record, we find EVIDENCE TO CONFIRM
                that the appellants were involved in homosexual activities and we are
                more inclined to believe that the alleged incident at Tivoli Villa did
                happen, sometime, this court, as a court of law, may only convict the
                appellants if the prosecution has successfully proved that the alleged
                offences as stated in the charge, beyond reasonable doubt"

              • buhairi yaakub
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Sdr Mat Kamil;

                  My thousand apologies if I misread or misunderstood your statement when you mentioned the statement : "Maybe the writer thinks that Anwar is covered under Article 1 of the Geneva Convention 1951 "due to membership in particular social group" which in writer's opinion that Anwar is a homosexual?". If you did not mean to accuse Anwar of sodomy thru that statement...Alhamdulillah.Once again my sincere apologies.

                  Regarding the judgement in Anwar's previous case,don't we think that the 3 judges did have balancing act to do. While they know with their conscience that they have no case and no proof of sodomy against Anwar, they had to (or were instructed to) give some face to the people who had been accusing Anwar of sodomy all the while since his sacking.Afterall, now we know that through V.K Lingam royal commission of inquiries, it was proven that we do not have independent judiciary.Some people(in power) could even pre-dictate the judgment on behalf the judge.So..it is not surprising for the judges to make that judgements.But anyway...Alhamdulillah...the judges still had the courage to use their conscience to decide that the prosecution failed to prove Anwar guilty that time.Then, how can we say someone is guilty when there is no proof of his guilt.In fact, if you read thru the judgement, one of the judges did pointed out that, he believed there was an element of conspiracy/fabrication involved.

                  Anyway, Insyaallah kita sentiasa berdoa agar mata dan hati kita dapat melihat kebenaran...menilai setiap pendapat(termasuk dari yg dituduh dan menuduh) dan tidak hanya taksub kepada pendapat satu pihak dan propaganda media arus perdana sahaja.Semoga Allah tunjukkan kebenaran..the Truth Will Prevail ..Insyaaallah!!Maaf jika ada terkasar bahasa.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Saudara Buhairi;

                    Apology accepted, no harm done. I prefer to let the justice takes its
                    course. One way or another, I do not care whether Anwar involved in
                    sodomy or not .... but I keep myself informed from both sides of the
                    stories and I keep my personal opinion to myself. One thing for sure,
                    I am dead set on not having Anwar as my PM.

                    In the case of Lingam, the conclusion made by the royal commission was
                    based on "possibility" it was not based on "beyond reasonable doubt".
                    The Judgement from the 3 judges on Anwar's case was based on "beyond
                    reasonable doubt" therefore the conviction was overturned. Whereas, on
                    Lingam case infront of the Royal Commission was concluded that "it is
                    a possibility that TDM was influenced".

                    Therefore we cannot equate the two findings/judgement as on par or on
                    the same standard.

                    Thanks
                    Kamil