Old Apple Tree - Tacoma - Pt. Townsend

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      =============
      Portland Marathon Report
      I made it! 42K on this volkssport-sanctioned marathon - how I trained,
      prepared, and walked.
      http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa100101a.htm

      Volks-Ware is donating a percentage of proceeds from our Volkssport USA
      Shirts and patches to The New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief
      Fund.
      For more information see our main page and click through to our selected
      shirts. http://volks-ware.com And, don't forget, we have those pink
      "Extreme Walker" shirts supporting Wendy's donation to the Avon 3-Day
      Walk breast cancer research program. Giving back is what it's all about!
      ============

      OCTOBER 6 (SATURDAY) OLD APPLE TREE FESTIVAL WALK Vancouver WA
      SANCTION NO: NW01/057
      SPONSORS: Vancouver USA Volkssporters Vancouver-Clark Parks & Rec
      LOCATION: Old Apple Tree Park East of I-5 on Columbia WY Vancouver WA
      START TIME: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm
      FINISH TIME: 4:30 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5 km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (1+) Walk on city sidewalks and park trail. Start at the Old
      Apple Tree Festival (the Northwest’s oldest apple tree), along the
      Columbia River, the Mayor’s Grove of Heritage trees, and the. new Mill
      Plain Extension. Suitable for strollers and wheelchairs.
      AWARD: Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must register
      carry, and return a start card.
      HATPINS: Hatpin is $2.50
      PRE-REGISTRATION: None
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water, restrooms and refreshments at start/finish. Pets
      are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for leash,
      and cleanup laws.
      MORE INFO: Barbara (360) 573-6048 or Romana (360) 891-9411
      DIRECTIONS: I-5: Exit #1A (SR14/Camas.). Take first exit (Columbia Way).
      RIGHT at first light onto Columbia Shores Blvd. RIGHT onto Columbia Way.
      Follow Volkssport signs to parking.

      OCTOBER 6 (SATURDAY) NATIONAL VOLKSSPORT MONTH WALK Tacoma WA
      SANCTION NO:
      NW01/060
      SPONSORS: The Over-the-Hill-Gang Volkssport Club
      The Centre at Norpoint
      New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: The Centre at Norpoint 4818 Nassau Ave Tacoma WA
      START TIME: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 4:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5 km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (2+) Walk on sidewalks and gravel/dirt path with one short hill
      and several gradual inclines through new neighborhoods in Northeast
      Tacoma. The route goes past the Northshore Golf Course with views of Mt
      Rainier and Puget Sound. The 5km route has one short incline. Suitable
      for strollers. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
      AWARD: AVA National Volkssport Month patch is $6.00. 50 AVAILABLE. NO
      REORDERS. Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must
      register, carry, and return a start card.
      HATPIN: None
      PRE-REGISTRATION: Must be postmarked by October 3rd. Make check payable
      and mail to: TOTHG Volkssport Club PO Box 23057, Federal Way WA 98093
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at start/finish and checkpoint. Pets
      are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for leash
      and clean up laws.
      MORE INFO: Jack Maxcy (253) 927-4580 or Dean Puckett (253) 927-5772
      DIRECTIONS: I-5:Exit#142B (SR161/Puyallup). Continue 5 miles on S 348th
      St as it changes names several times until it becomes Northshore Blvd.
      LEFT on Nassau Ave. Immediately turn RIGHT into parking lot. Start point
      will be inside the entrance on the right side of building.

      OCTOBER 6 - 7 KINETIC SKULPTURE WALK Port Townsend WA
      SANCTION NO: NW01/058
      SPONSORS: Olympic Peninsula Explorers Volkssport Club
      New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: Jefferson County Community Center Lawrence & Taylor
      Port Townsend WA
      START TIME: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 4:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5 km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (3) Walk on city sidewalks and beach during the Kinetic Skulpture
      weekend. Strollers may have difficulty. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
      AWARD: "B" awards are $4.00. Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are
      welcome but must register, carry, and return a start card.
      HATPIN: "B" hatpins available
      PRE-REGISTRATION: None
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at start/finish. Pets are permitted
      but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for leash and cleanup
      laws.
      MORE INFO: Frances Johnson (360) 732-4623
      E-mail: frjohnson@...
      DIRECTIONS: SR104 from Hood Canal Bridge. RIGHT at SR19 (Port Townsend).
      SR19 becomes SR20 2½ miles south of Port Townsend. LEFT on Kearney.
      RIGHT on Lawrence. Jefferson County Community Center is on the corner of
      Taylor and Lawrence. FROM KEYSTONE FERRY: LEFT at light after exiting
      ferry. RIGHT on Kearney. RIGHT on Lawrence.

      OCTOBER 13 (SATURDAY) CLYDE FEUERBORN MEMORIAL WALK Goldendale WA
      SANCTION NO: NW01/092
      SPONSORS: Tri-Cities Windwalkers
      New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: Ekone Park Goldendale WA Klickitat County
      START TIME: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 3:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles)
      TRAIL: (1+) Walk on sidewalks past the most photographed house in the
      state and 20 other historic homes dating back to mid 1880’s with views
      of Mt Hood and Mt Adams. Suitable for strollers and wheelchairs.
      AWARD: Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must register,
      carry, and return a start card.
      HATPIN: Bluebird hatpin is $3.00
      PRE-REGISTRATION: None
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at start/finish and along the route.
      Pets are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for
      leash and cleanup laws.
      This walk is dedicated to Clyde Feuerborn, a charter member of
      Tri-Cities Windwalkers, who died of a heart attack last November at the
      age of 75.
      MORE INFO: Mel Hayward (253) 848-5360 or Mona Bauman (509) 735-2304
      DIRECTIONS: I-90 Eastbound: Exit #110 (I-82 / US97 / Yakima). Follow
      US97 to Goldendale. I-90
      Westbound: Exit #220 (US395/Tri-Cities). Take US395 to Tri-Cities.
      Follow I-82N to Toppenish then
      US97 to Goldendale. I-84: Exit 104 (US97). North on US97 to Goldendale.
      12 miles. Look for orange
      Volkssport signs.

      OCTOBER 14 (SUNDAY) SQUAK MOUNTAIN WALK Issaquah WA
      SANCTION NO: NW01/083
      SPONSORS: Four- Plus Foolhardy Folks
      New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: Squak Mountain State Park Issaquah WA
      START TIME: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 3:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 11 km (6.8 miles)
      TRAIL: (4+) Walk up steep hiking and horse trails through thick forest
      with an elevation gain of 2000 feet to a panoramic viewpoint. "On a
      clear day" views from Mt. Baker to Enumclaw and Lake Sammamish to the
      Olympic Mtns. Not suitable for strollers or wheelchairs.
      AWARD: A 2¼" x 2¼" multicolored patch of the Bullitt homestead
      fireplace, designed by Dorman Batson, is $5.50 pre-registered and $6.00
      day of event. 50 AVAILABLE. NO REORDERS. Credit only is $2.00. Free
      walkers are welcome but must register, carry, and return a start card.
      HATPIN: Hatpins are $2.50 and $3.00.
      PRE-REGISTRATION: Must be postmarked by October 6th. Make check payable
      and mail to: Four- Plus Foolhardy Folks, 2101 SW Sunset Blvd, Apt #D301,
      Renton WA 98055-6103
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at start/finish ONLY. CARRY WATER.
      Pets are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for
      leash and cleanup laws.
      MORE INFO: Mary Mantzarinis (425)-228-3058 or Linda Todd (425) 235-4680
      DIRECTIONS: I-90: Exit #15 (Renton/SR900W.) Eastbound RIGHT/westbound
      LEFT and follow SR900
      (Renton-Issaquah Rd) 4 miles to May Valley Rd. LEFT 2½ miles to State
      Park Entrance on LEFT.
      I-405: Exit#5 (Sunset Blvd NE/Issaquah/SR900E). Northbound
      RIGHT/southbound LEFT on Sunset Blvd NE. Follow SR900 5 miles to May
      Valley Rd. RIGHT and continue as above.

      OCTOBER 20 (SATURDAY) SULLIVAN PARK/CENTENNIAL TRAIL WALK
      Spokane WA SANCTION NO: NW01/035
      SPONSORS: Lilac City Volkssport
      Association New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: Sullivan Park 1901 N
      Sullivan Road Spokane WA START
      TIME: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 3:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5
      km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (1+) Walk on paved country roads and Centennial Trail from
      Sullivan Rd to Barker Rd with views of the Spokane River. Suitable for
      strollers and wheelchairs. AWARD: Seventh in a series of eight with a
      Volkssporting into the Future theme for 2001, a pie wedge picture on its
      own that forms a total picture with all eight awards is $4.00. Credit
      only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must register, carry, and
      return a start card. HATPIN: "B" hatpins available PRE-REGISTRATION:
      Must be postmarked by October 10th. Make check payable and mail to:
      LCVA, 4254 E 22nd Ave, Spokane WA 99223 MISCELLANEOUS: Water and
      restrooms at start/finish and checkpoint. Pets are permitted but NOT in
      building(s). Owners are responsible for leash and cleanup laws. MORE
      INFO: Geri Odell (509) 534-7056
      DIRECTIONS: I-90: Exit # 291B (Sullivan Road) Eastbound LEFT/westbound
      RIGHT. LEFT at first light across Spokane River into Sullivan Park.
      Signs will be posted.

      OCTOBER 20 (SATURDAY) SPANAWAY PARKS WALK
      Spanaway WA SANCTION NO: NW01/088
      SPONSORS: Daffodil Valley Volkssport Association
      LOCATION: Sprinker Recreation
      Center 14824 S C Street
      Spanaway WA
      START TIME: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 4:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5
      km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (2) Walk on road shoulders and dirt trails with a few hills
      through Bresemann Woods, Spanaway Park, Enchanted Island, and along
      Spanaway Lake to the Exchange Tavern, the oldest functioning tavern in
      the state. Suitable for strollers. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
      AWARD: "B" awards are $3.00. Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are
      welcome but must register, carry, and return a start card. HATPIN:
      Exchange Tavern hatpin is $3.00. PRE-REGISTRATION: None MISCELLANEOUS:
      Water and restrooms at start/finish. Water at checkpoint(s). Pets are
      permitted, but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for leash and
      cleanup laws.
      MORE INFO: Nancy Wittenberg (253) 537-1168 E-mail: nancyw@...
      DIRECTIONS: I-5: Exit #127 (SR512/Puyallup). Take SR7 (Pacific
      Ave./Parkland exit). RIGHT on Pacific Ave S. RIGHT on Military Rd S to
      Sprinker Recreation Center. SR 167S to SR512 to SR 7 exit (Pacific
      Ave/Parkland). LEFT on Pacific Ave S. Continue as
      above.

      OCTOBER 20 -21 MONTESANO AUTUMN WALK
      Montesano WA SANCTION NO: NW01/076
      SPONSORS: Sea-Tac Volkssport Club
      LOCATION: Montesano High
      School Montesano WA
      START TIME: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 6:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5
      km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (2) Walk on sidewalks and road shoulders through this scenic
      historic county seat; past the refurbished county building, grand old
      homes with lots of flowers and autumn leaves. Suitable for strollers.
      Wheelchairs will have difficulty. AWARD: "B" awards available. Credit
      only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must register, carry, and
      return a start card. HATPIN: A leather autumn leaf is $3.00.
      PRE-REGISTRATION: None MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at
      start/finish. Pets are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are
      responsible for leash and cleanup laws. MORE INFO: Pat Ellison (253)
      863-5388 or Dorman Batson (253) 927-2495
      DIRECTIONS: I-5: Exit #104 (Aberdeen/Ocean Beaches). Follow US101 to SR8
      to Montesano exit. RIGHT on Main St. RIGHT on E Spruce. LEFT on Church
      St. to start point. Park in any of several lots around the
      school.

      OCTOBER 20 -21 MONTESANO/LAKE SYLVIA
      WALK Montesano WA SANCTION
      NO: NW01/084 SPONSORS:
      Sea-Tac Volkssport Club
      LOCATION: Montesano High
      School Montesano WA START
      TIME: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm ]
      FINISH TIME: 4:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5
      km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (2+) Walk on dirt trails through the woods around Lake Sylvia.
      Lots of quiet and color around this bucolic lake. Strollers will have
      difficulty. Not suitable for wheelchairs. AWARD: "B" awards available.
      Credit only is $2.00. Free walkers are welcome but must register, carry,
      and return a start card. HATPIN: A leather autumn leaf is $3.00.
      PRE-REGISTRATION: None MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at
      start/finish and checkpoint(s). Pets are permitted but NOT in
      building(s). Owners are responsible for leash and cleanup laws. MORE
      INFO: Pat Ellison (253) 863-5388 or Dorman Batson (253) 927-2495
      DIRECTIONS: I-5: Exit #104 (Aberdeen/Ocean Beaches). Follow US101 to SR8
      to Montesano exit. RIGHT on Main St. RIGHT on E Spruce. LEFT on Church
      St. to start point. Park in any of several lots around the
      school

      OCTOBER 27 - 28 TRICK OR TREAT REMLINGER FARM WALK
      Carnation WA SANCTION NO: NW01/018
      SPONSORS: Emerald City Wanderers Volkssport Club
      Remlinger Farm New Balance Shoes
      LOCATION: Remlinger Farm 32610
      NE 32nd Carnation WA
      START TIME: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
      FINISH TIME: 4:00 pm
      DISTANCE: 10 km (6.2 miles) 5 km (3.1 miles)
      TRAIL: (1+) Walk on dirt trail on Snoqualmie Valley Railroad Trail and
      along river. Continue on sidewalks through downtown and residential
      areas. Jogging strollers will not have difficulty. Not suitable for
      wheelchairs.
      AWARD: A standing 10" metal and wood witch is $6.00. First in series of
      four. 50 AVAILABLE. NO REORDERS "B" awards available. Credit only is
      $2.00. Free walkers are welcome, but must register, carry, and return a
      start card. HATPIN: A leather witch head is $3.00. PRE-REGISTRATION:
      Must be postmarked by October 19th. Make check payable and mail to
      Emerald City Wanderers, c/o Conde Holt, 15822 NE 106th Ct, Redmond WA
      98052 MISCELLANEOUS: Water and restrooms at start/finish and in park.
      Pets are permitted but NOT in building(s). Owners are responsible for
      leash and cleanup laws. Come in costume to be eligible for special
      prizes. One pair of New Balance Shoes will be given away. Watch for
      "ghouls" with goodies. MORE INFO: Conde Holt: (425)-883-6099
      DIRECTIONS: I-405: Exit #14 (SR520E) to Redmond. RIGHT on Redmond -Fall
      City Rd (SR202) 8 miles. LEFT on Tolt Hill Rd to Fall City-Carnation Rd
      (SR203) and turn RIGHT. LEFT on NE 24th to parking area. I-90: Exit #22
      (Preston/Fall City Rd) to Fall City (4 miles). Cross bridge. LEFT on
      SR203 (5 miles) to NE 24th and RIGHT to parking area. Distance includes
      walk from upper parking area: Validation required at start point.