Orting Walk and Bike - Woodland

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2008
      April 5, 2008 (Saturday) Orting Walk and Bike
      Start 8am-1pm
      Finish by 4pm
      Orting Foothills Trail Walk 14km (8.8 miles), 7km (4.4 miles) or 21km
      (13.2 miles) rated 1
      Walk as far as you want starting on the newest section of the paved
      Foothills Trail towards the Meeker trailhead and return. The 14km
      continues to the McMillin trailhead. The 21k to the town of Orting.
      WA St. Challenge: Pierce County; BR/RV/HR AVA: RA RH EUR NAC
      Orting Foothills Trail Bike 21km (13.4 miles), 30km (19 miles) or 44km
      (27 miles) rated 1
      Bike as far as you want starting on the newest section of the paved
      Foothills Trail towards the Meeker trailhead and back to the McMillin
      trailhead and return. The 30km continues to the Patterson Road
      trailhead, the 44k to the town of South Prairie before returning.
      Helmets required.
      WA St. Challenge: Pierce County; BR/RV/HR AVA: RA RH EUR NAC
      Start/Finish: Snowshoe Evergreen, 10800 block Orting Hwy, Orting, WA
      I-5: exit 127 SR512 towards Puyallup. Continue past Puyallup as SR512
      becomes SR167. Stay in right lane and exit onto US410 towards Sumner.
      Take 2nd exit SR163 towards Orting approx. 2 miles. Snowshoe Eergreen
      will be marked with orange volksmarch signs.
      Contact Nancy Wittenberg 253-841-0580 or email n_wittenberg@...
      Click here for directions

      4/6/2008 Woodland
      City and State: Woodland WA
      Host Club: Border Crossers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km 1
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: 404 Davidson Ave, Woodland
      Grange. Follow I-5 to Exit 21. From the South, turn left under the
      freeway to downtown - follow signs to start/finish. From the North,
      follow service road to Goerig St and turn right. Follow to downtown and
      follow signs to start/finish.
      Event Description: The walk is flat on paved road or graveled dike road.
      Start Times: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Contact: Sam Korff , (503 ) 728 - 0400
      E-Mail Contact: korffs@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Route will pass a tulip field in bloom and then up onto the
      dike to return. ESVA meeting will be hosted at the Grange Hall.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: hard Pets: Yes Restrooms: Yes

      ======================
      WalkWashington Sponsors - MORE EVENTS BELOW!

      10 Tips for Walking to Work
      http://walking.about.com/od/pedestrians/a/walktoworktips.htm

      Join WALKING ADVENTURES INT’L as we journey through YELLOWSTONE & THE
      ROCKIES this June!
      While you’re considering the different travel options for this coming
      summer, please keep in mind that we’re nearing the 2ND DEPARTURE for our
      Yellowstone & the Rockies Adventure (June 4-18, 2008)!
      Share the Adventure with us as we:
      - Trek the Oregon Trail at Scottsbluff National Monument
      - Marvel at Devil’s Tower, the massive, monolithic remnant of stone
      amidst the beauty of Wyoming’s Black Hills
      - Join in at the Bar J Chuckwagon Ranch dinner and show, complete with
      cowboy humor, great cowboy music, and filling round-up dinner fare
      - Wonder at the geothermal power of Yellowstone on the Old Faithful
      Geysers and Hot Pools Walk
      - Admire the panorama of the Grand Teton Mountains
      - Breathe the rare air of Rocky Mountain National Park and enjoy nonstop
      Rocky Mountain vistas as we drive Trail Ridge Road at over 12,000 feet
      in elevation – and so much more!
      Also included on this Adventure are 11 AVA-sanctioned walks, including
      the CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL WALK – it’s an unforgettable experience shared
      with over 10,000 walkers from South Dakota and around the country!
      For more details, take a look at our online brochure Yellowstone & the
      Rockies and call or email Debbie or Dani SOON at 1.800.779.0353 or
      danielle@... to save yourself a spot!
      http://www.walkingadventures.com/
      <a mailto:danielle@...>danielle@...</a>

      Gift Ideas from Volks-Ware
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/gift.htm
      Aloe-based Moisturizers, Sunscreen for Athletes, and the Best Insect
      Repellent
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/aloe.htm
      Exerstrider Walking Poles – We Ship for Less!
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/exerstrider.htm
      See you at the Vancouver Discovery Walk Festival!!!
      =============================

      April 12, 2008 NW Tulip Trekkers 20th Anniversary Walk
      TWO WALKS - 5/10 and 11 km and BRATWURST BBQ
      Sanction Numbers: 79750, 79752
      April is Tulip Time in the Skagit Valley! While our walks won't have you
      tiptoeing through the tulips, you should plan to take a drive around the
      tulip fields or visit the other tulip festival activities including the
      fabulous Kiwanis' Salmon BBQ in Hillcrest Park (11am- 7pm daily)! For
      more information visit www.tulipfestival.org
      Come help the Trekkers celebrate their 20th Anniversary. We have two
      great walks during the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. The bratwurst will
      be on the grill during lunchtime.
      Not an AVA or Tulip Trekkr Member? Come join us anyway and share in our
      fun, fitness and fellowship!
      WALK ROUTES:
      Town Walk: Rated 2+ (3A) 11 km. WA State Challenge: Park, River. Walk
      through residential areas, along the Skagit River and through downtown
      Mount Vernon past shops and restaurants.
      Skagit College Walk. Rated 1+ (1A) 10 km. WA State Challenge: Cemetery,
      College, Monument, Bridge, Park . Walk through residential neighborhoods
      and parks as well as the Skagit Community College campus.
      Registration: Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1515 E College Way, Mount Vernon
      Start Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
      Finish: 4:00 p.m.
      Award: Credit only is $3.00. Free walkers are welcome, but must
      register, carry, and return a start card. Free "B" patches to all
      registered children under 12 years old and all 1st time walkers.
      Everyone is Welcome to Walk!
      Anniversary Celebration. Join us for our 20th Anniversary Celebration
      from 11 am-2 pm. We'll have the bratwurst on the grill and lots of
      trimmings.
      Directions: I-5 to Exit 227, College Way, East.. From the south turn
      right, from the north turn left onto College Way. Church is on the left.
      More Information: Marie Weltz, rmweltz@..., 360-424-7490
      Miscellaneous: Water and restrooms are available at start/finish and
      along the route. Pets are not permitted in buildings. There will be
      food/refreshments available at checkpoints, festival locations and in town.
      http://www.nwtrekkers.org/20th_Anniversary.html

      4/19/2008
      City and State: Redmond, Washington WA
      Host Club: Interlaken Trailblazers Volkssport Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 6K, 10K 1
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: Redmond Elementary School
      16800 NE 80th Street, Redmond. SR 520 exiting at end to Redmond Way.
      Left on Redmond Way, right on 166th Ave NE to school parking lot at
      right of school.
      Event Description: Walk on sidewalks through historic Redmond with its
      many sculptures, past the District Courthouse and onto the Sammamish
      River Trail to Marymoor Park/Clise Mansion on National Historic Register
      Start Times: 9AM - Noon
      Contact: Sue Black , (425 ) 747 - 3484
      Event Website: www.ava.org/clubs/interlaken/index.htm
      E-Mail Contact: scblack@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: medium Pets: Yes Restrooms: Yes
      Event Special Classifications
      Courthouses in the USA
      Riverwalk America
      Native American Culture

      April 20, 2008 VOLKSSPORT AT SPOKANE RIVER RUN
      Sanction No.: 80090
      SPONSORS:
      Lilac City Volkssport Association
      Mountain Gear
      Vasque
      GSI Outdoors
      LOCATION: Seven-Mile Bridge at Riverside State Park
      CHALLENGES: Riverwalk, Extreme Distance, Trails, Spokane County
      START TIMES:
      50K - 8:15 am
      25K - 8:45 am
      5K - 9:10 am
      10K - 9:45 am
      FINISH TIME: 5:30 pm
      TRAIL: All four distances are on mainly single track dirt trails (99.9%
      dirt, some rocks, roots, and possibly mud). The course winds through
      thick pine forests set against basalt cliffs and finishes along the
      roaring Spokane River. This trail is not suitable for strollers or
      wheelchairs.
      MISCELLANEOUS: Water, food and restrooms are available at Start/Finish.
      Water and restrooms are found throughout the course. Pets are not
      permitted on the trail.
      RATING: 50K/4+, 25K/2+, 10K/2+, 5K/2+
      AWARDS: None
      HAT PINS: $2.00
      REGISTRATION: Participants must register for the Spokane River Run
      either on line at spokaneriverrun.com or through forms in the event
      brochure. After picking up your River Run packets come to the LCVA
      booth at River Run on Sunday, April 20, 2008, register and pick up a
      start card.
      DIRECTIONS: I-90 eastbound to Exit 280 (Maple Street), cross Maple
      Street to Walnut, turn left (north) on Walnut, cross the Maple Street
      Bridge to Northwest Blvd, turn left, Northwest Blvd becomes Assembly,
      follow to Nine-Mile Road, right on Nine-Mile Road to Seven-Mile, turn
      left and follow River Run signs to airstrip and parking (approximately 2
      miles).
      I-90 westbound to exit 280A turn right on Walnut and follow as above.
      MORE INFO:
      Jim Buchholz 208 765-3160, JBUCHHOLZ53568@...
      http://lilaccityvolks.org/riverrun.aspx

      4/19/2008 - 4/20/2008 - Walk Our Spring in Central Washington Hike
      Start Location: Ginko Petrified Forest State Park (just off I-90 in
      Vantage, WA)
      Start time: 8am-noon
      Finish by: 4pm
      Distance: Route 1: 13K; Route 2: 11K
      Contact: Mike Stephens (253) 840-5073
      Walk #1: Hell’s Kitchen 13K rated 4+
      The Trail: Starts at the State Park Museum. The walk drops down into
      the Rocky Coulee then follows old jeep trails through Hells Kitchen up
      to the old Ginkgo Forest Interpretive Center. The trail weaves through
      the best preserved portions of the fossil Ginkgo Forest before returning
      down to the museum. Total elevation gain is about 1000 feet. Treated
      as 4+ because some of the old jeep trail is real huff and puff and the
      hill over to the interpretive trails is very uneven.
      State Park Walk Extreme: EXTREME TERRAIN Washington State Challenge:
      Grant County
      Walk #2: Fossils Walk 10/12/20K, rated 3+ or 4+
      The Trail: Starts at the State Park Museum then drops into the Rocky
      Coulee. The trail next goes up the faced of the lava flowers
      overlooking the Columbia River. There are magnificent views of the
      Columbia River Gorge and the Hole in the Wall. Walk amongst fossil
      remnant of Ginkgo trees. Half of the walk is on animal trails and half
      is on old jeep trails, all in the state park. Total elevation gain is
      about 950’.
      State Park Walk Extreme: EXTREME TERRAIN (12K or 20K) Washington State
      Challenge: Grant County
      Awards & Fees: A 100% embroidered multicolored patch in our traditional
      club diamond shape will be available at the walk for $7.50. All four
      patches from our events in 2008, our 20th anniversary year, will have
      gold borders. Credit only is $3.00. Free participants are welcome but
      must register and return a start card. Only 50 patches are available
      and there will be no reorders. To pre-register for patch, use this
      form and mail in time to be received by Apr 17.
      Miscellaneous: Bring you own water — there will be water only at the
      start/finish. Restrooms at the start area and the interpretive center.
      Lodging is available in Ellensburg, 30 miles to the west. Removal of
      fossil wood is a misdemeanor. Pets OK. Snakes possible if it’s a warm day.
      Directions: From west or east I-90, exit at Vantage (exit 136). Turn
      North one mile through Vantage to the State Park entrance on the right.
      Parking in designated spaces in the parking lot or along the old
      highway into Rocky Coulee.
      http://www.walkhappy.com/fourplusclub/upcomingwalks/upcoming_index_files/page0002.htm

      April 25-26-27: Discovery Walk Festival, Vancouver, WA USA
      12th annual - Come Walk, Bike, Swim!
      Group rates available - half the regular price!
      http://www.discoverywalk.org
      The 12th annual International Vancouver Discovery Walk Festival invites
      you to three days of non-competitive walking events, entertainment, and
      meeting walking friends from around the world.
      The Discovery Walk Festival, Vancouver USA is a yearly walking festival
      sponsored by International Walk Fest Club and the City of Vancouver,
      Washington to foster international friendship and community fitness. The
      event is sanctioned by the IML Walking Association as part of their
      program of annual walking events around the world.
      The Discovery Walk Festival is also sanctioned by the IVV for volkssport
      credit toward lifelong achievement awards (Sanctions NW08-78018, 19, 20,
      21, 22, 23).
      Location and Hotel: Registration, start and finish are at the Hilton
      Hotel, 301 W. 6th St., Vancouver, WA, 98660. Swims will be at the Hough
      Pool, 1801 Esther St, Vancouver WA 98660, with shuttle provided.
      Along the Walk: All trails will be clearly marked with arrows, and maps
      provided. Checkpoints along the walking routes each 5-6 kilometers (3
      miles) provide water, snacks, restrooms, and a first aid kit. Walkers
      and bikers should carry their own water bottle to use between
      checkpoints. Selected checkpoints will be next to a restaurant/snack
      bar. The Clark County Amateur Radio Club provides communication support.
      200 community volunteers provide event support.
      All Ages Are Welcome: Children under 12 years of age are FREE. Each
      group of children must be accompanied by an adult registered for the
      event. Pets must be leashed and "scooped" and are not allowed inside
      buildings. No pets will be allowed on the Sunday 32K, or 21K trails due
      to the bus shuttle. All participants must register and sign the waiver.
      New Walker Packets are available for $5.00 to get our new friends
      started in the IVV Individual Achievement Award program.
      Registration and Fees
      Cost is $10 per person per walk, bike, or swim. Team discount available
      for teams of 10 or more people at $5 per event. Children age 12 and
      under are free, each group of children must be accompanied by an adult
      registered for the events. You can register at the event, online, or by
      mail. Registration fee includes awards, IVV Credit and IML Credit. All
      participants, including children, receive the awards and credit; there
      is no credit-only category. Registration is not refundable. IVV credit
      is given for all events and for distances walked or biked. Swimmers may
      earn 2 IVV credit stamps by doing the swim twice, for no additional fee.
      Record Books for both IVV and IML will be available for purchase. IML
      Walking Association credit is earned by completing at least 20K each day
      on Saturday and Sunday. IML achievement medals and country bars will be
      available for sale to those achieving award levels.
      Pre-registration: Registration by mail must be postmarked by Apr. 15.
      Online registration is open through Apr. 18. After those dates,
      register at the event.
      You may register at the event
      Registration is open at the Hilton Hotel Friday Noon - 6 pm and on Sat.
      & Sun. from 6:30 am - 12pm.
      Awards
      Mayor's Walk: All receive a Mayor's Walk award.
      Bike and Swim: Finishers receive a medal.
      Saturday and Sunday Walks: All receive the Discovery Walk award series:
      years 1, 4, 7, and 10 is a medal with pins to attach years 2, 3, 5, 6,
      8, 9, 11, 12. If walking both days you receive a certificate the second
      day.
      Marathon: In addition to the Discovery Walk award, marathon finishers
      receive a patch and certificate.
      Try-Athlon: Receive a Try-Athlon patch for completing a walk, bike, and
      swim.
      Team Discount Registration and Awards: Teams of 10 or more are eligible
      for the team rate of $5 per event. Teams must register together by mail,
      online or at the event. Teams may register or pick up their start cards
      at the Group Registration Table.
      Social Activities
      Friday: Opening Ceremony 3:45 pm.
      Saturday and Sunday: Entertainment throughout the day. Food and drink
      available in the hotel snack bar and next door at the Vancouver Farmers
      Market.
      Closing Ceremonies: 3 pm Sunday.
      SCHEDULE
      FRIDAY, APRIL 25: Mayor's Friendship Walk
      Presented by Cascade Heart
      Opening Ceremony 3:45 pm.
      Start times: Anytime 4 - 6 pm. Finish by 9 pm.
      Enjoy an easy 5 or 10 km walk seeing historic and scenic areas of Vancouver.
      SATURDAY, APRIL 26: Walks
      Presented by Realvest
      Choose your distance - Marathon 42K, 32K, 21k, 11K or 6K. Trail rated 2
      (moderate) on paved surfaces with some hills. The 6K and 11K are
      suitable for wheelchairs and strollers. The walk visits Vancouver parks,
      greenways, and neighborhoods. Runners/racewalkers should start at the
      end of their start period and carry their own water and snacks.
      Schedule:
      42K & 32K: start 7- 7:30 am, finish by 4 pm.
      21K start 8-9 am, finish by 4 pm.
      6K/11K start 8 am-12 pm, finish by 4 pm.
      Family Fun 6K Walk: Presented by Southwest Washington Medical Center: a
      special 10 am start time for our 6K (3.8 mile) route includes fun stops.
      SUNDAY, APRIL 27: Walks, Bikes, Swims
      Presented by Veolia Water
      Choose your distance - 32K, 21K, 10K or 6K. Trails rated 2 (moderate)
      on paved surfaces with some hills. The 32/21K distances will include a
      bus shuttle – no dogs allowed on the bus. The 6K and 10K are suitable
      for wheelchairs/strollers. The bike routes tour the western areas of
      Vancouver. Helmets required, some rental bikes available. Two 300 meter
      swims in the afternoon at Hough Pool (shuttle provided).
      Schedule:
      32K: board shuttle bus 6:45 – 7 am, finish by 4 pm.
      21K: board shuttle bus 7:45 – 9 am, finish by 4 pm.
      6K/11K start 8am-12 pm, finish by 4 pm.
      25K/50K Bike start 9 am - 12 pm, finish by 4 pm.
      Swims start 1:30-3:45 pm, finish by 4 pm.
      Closing Ceremonies: 3 pm
      Directions
      Traveling South on I-5: Take I-5 into Vancouver, Washington. Take the
      City Center exit (Mill Plain). Turn right on Mill Plain Turn left on
      Columbia. Hotel is on the corner of 6th and Columbia.
      Traveling North on I-5: Take I-5 through Portland and over the I-5
      Bridge. Take the second exit (#1B) after the bridge, following the City
      Center signs. Follow the signs to 6th St. and turn left on 6th St. Hotel
      is on the corner of 6th and Columbia.
      Parking: Pay for parking at Park and Go lots: bring change for the
      parking machine.
      Registration form and online registration available at:
      http://www.discoverywalk.org
      Discovery Walk Festival
      PO Box 2009, Vancouver, WA, USA 98668
      Tel. Toll Free US/Canada: 1-877-269-2009
      Tel. International 1-360-718-2449
      Fax 1-360-397-0484
      Email: info@...
      Web: http://www.discoverywalk.org

      Subscribe to The Northwest Pathfinder
      Full event information for Washington and Oregon events, bimonthly - 6
      issues a year.

      The Northwest Pathfinder MAILING FORM
      $12.00 USA / $15.00 Foreign Mail ~ in US Dollars
      Allow up to EIGHT WEEKS for FIRST ISSUE

      PLEASE PUT ME ON The Northwest Pathfinder MAILING LIST:

      9-digit Zip: ____________

      Make check/money order payable to Northwest Pathfinder and mail to:

      Northwest Pathfinder
      PO Box 3332
      Albany, OR 97321

      (This form sent by the WalkWashington@yahoogroups.com email list)