Vancouver Veterans Walk

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2003
      ===============
      Morning Exercise Helps Sleep
      http://walking.about.com/cs/healthbenefits/a/exercisesleep.htm

      Join us for a "Down Under" adventure of a lifetime! Our walking
      adventure down under has been a favorite of our regular travelers since
      1996, and though we've made fine-tuning adjustments this year, the 2004
      edition contains all of the favorite highlights. One major difference
      is that this adventure is now available in segments. Travelers can
      participate in Australia only (Exclusively Aussie), New Zealand only
      (Completely Kiwi), or combine both into one 22-day down under package.
      An optional pre-tour to Tasmania will also be offered in 2004 that
      explores this fascinating island state of Australia. Warning: the
      history, culture, & scenery of Australia & New Zealand can have a
      hypnotic affect on the visitor. 12 IVV walks included. Space is still
      available on both departures. Contact us to receive a free catalog or
      to register at 1-800-779-0353 or fun@... or visit us
      online at http://www.walkingadventures.com

      Come Shop Early! Gifts for walkers and hikers:
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/gift.htm
      And... Gifts for the guys in mind:
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/giftdad.htm
      And... Here we go with new wicking items...gloves, blister prevention
      socks,etc.
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/wicks.htm

      =============

      VANCOUVER VETERANS PARADE WALK
      Saturday, Nov. 8, 2003
      SANCTION NO: 2003/0104
      SPONSOR: VAEA Walk and Run Club
      LOCATION: VA Medical Center, Bldg D7, 1601 E. Fourth Plain Blvd.,
      Vancouver, WA
      START TIME: 8 am - noon FINISH TIME: 3 pm
      TRAIL: Rated easy 1+, choose 11K or 6K route. On sidewalks and paths
      through historic Vancouver, both distances visit the Veterans Parade and
      Vietnam Memorial Garden.
      For best viewing of the Veterans Parade, 11K walkers should start
      walking at 9:30 am, 6K walkers at 10:00-10:30 am. Strollers OK,
      wheelchairs may encounter uncut curbs.
      REGISTRATION: Register during the start hours. Credit-only $3. Free
      walkers welcome, donation appreciated. Donations go to our
      Compassionate Care Meal Program. No refunds.
      HATPIN: Painted pewter eagle hatpins available $3 each, while supply
      lasts, no re-order.
      BRING YOUR OLD COFFEE MUGS FOR THE VETERANS: Bring clean, un-chipped
      coffee mugs for our veterans to use while they are in our nursing
      skilled care unit.
      MISCELLANEOUS: Please carry a photo ID in case the campus goes to
      Threat Level Orange. In case of the country going to Threat Level Red,
      this event will be canceled. Water and restrooms at start/finish and
      along the route every 3K. Pets are permitted but NOT in buildings.
      Owners are responsible for leash and cleanup laws.
      OTSVA STATE MEETING: Potluck at noon at the VA campus Theater, OTSVA
      meeting at 1 pm.
      MORE INFO: Wendy Bumgardner 503-692-3994, walking@...
      DIRECTIONS: From I-5 northbound or southbound take 4th Plain exit 1-D.
      If southbound, turn left (east) on 4th Plain, if northbound turn right
      (east) on 4th Plain to the stop light at St. Johns/VA Medical Center.
      Turn right into VA Medical Center. At the first intersection, turn left.
      Turn right at the second driveway to the right and park in the big
      parking lot. Register in the atrium of Building D7, the Barnes Rehab
      Center. Bus: C-Tran Bus 25 or 39, bus stop is on Ft. Vancouver Way just
      outside VA entrance.

      ============
      Charity Event - Non-Volkssport - Vancouver Nov. 9
      10th ANNUAL "LYLE'S MYLES" SET FOR NOVEMBER 9;
      RAISING MONEY FOR AN AIDS CLINIC IN AFRICA
      The 10th annual Lyle's Myles is set for November 9, 2003. The fun
      run/walk is a unique event for several reasons. First and foremost,
      Lyle gets to win. Any runner/walker who finishes before Lyle will be
      recognized but is officially disqualified. The distance is also unique
      at 6.9 Kilometers (approx. 4.3 Miles). Each year the event is
      lengthened by 1/10th of a Kilometer as Lyle gets older. Thirdly, you
      may choose how you traverse the course; run, walk, hop, skip,
      rollerblade, you-name-it, or just watch the festivities. There are
      trophies for the fastest disqualified male and female in each of six age
      categories.
      Most importantly, this annual event provides us with an opportunity to
      celebrate our abundance and health and at the same time make a
      difference with a global dilemma. The money raised will go toward an
      AIDS clinic in Africa.
      When: Sunday, November 9 at 2 PM
      Where: 6th and Columbia in downtown Vancouver, WA at the Southeast
      corner of Esther Short Park.
      Registration fee: $25 (more or less according to your capability)
      E-mail: lylesmyles@... and ask for Lyle's Myles information.
      Phone: 360-281-9757
      =====================
      Nov. 15 - Non-volkssport - Charity Walk/Run for Evergreen School
      District Foundation
      Vancouver Fall 5 Mile Run and 5K Walk held on November 15th at 9:00 am
      in Marine Park on the Columbia River is being held in conjunction with
      the ESDF. Entry fees from participants who forfeit their event t-shirts
      go directly to the foundation. The entire walk is on Marine Park trails
      with no vehicular traffic and great views of the Columbia River.
      Registration fees for the walk and run are $10. If you indicate on your
      entry form that you are running for the benefit of the Evergreen School
      District Foundation and do not want your t-shirt, that $10 will go to a
      good cause! Of course if you’d like the t-shirt as well, you can make a
      donation to the foundation by making your check out for more than the
      $10 sign-up fee. We would love to get as many people in the community
      involved as possible so we can have a great fundraiser for the schools!
      Information and Online Registration:
      http://eventmgnt.allsportrunning.com/eventinfo.cfm?eventid=5111
      Info: email cara@..., or call at 360.604.8600 during the
      day and 503.330.6806.
      ===========================

      11/29/2003 - Turkey Trot Walk
      Event Number : 59022 2003/0107 10km
      Start : Mukilteo Community Center, 304 Lincoln Ave., Mukilteo, WA
      Start 9 am - noon, finish by 3 pm.
      Trail rated moderate 2+ 5K/10K Views of Puget Sound.
      Host Club : Evergreen State Volkssport Assn.
      Write for more information to:
      10228 - 29th Street East
      Puyallup, WA 98372-1756
      Contact : Dorothy Steedle, (206) 284 - 7560
      E-Mail: dsteedle@...
      Club Website: http://www.esva.org

      Olympia Christmas Walk 6 Dec
      You are cordially invited to join Olympia's Capitol Volkssport Club in
      our annual Capitol Holiday Walk! This 1+ rated trail starts at the
      Visitors' Center on the Capitol Campus, continues through a decorated
      historic neighborhood, and goes down the boulevard beneath lighted trees
      to the waterfront boardwalk. Christmas carolers will leave the start
      point at 4:30 and travel as a group. With luck, we'll be at the
      waterfront at 6:00 to see the lighted boat parade. And did I mention
      hot, spiced cider at the checkpoint? The trail is suitable for
      strollers and wheelchairs.
      Start time: 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
      Finish time: 9:00 p.m.
      Distance: 5K and 10 K routes
      Start location: Capitol Visitors' Center, Capitol Campus, Olympia, WA
      Driving directions: From I-5, North or Southbound, Exit 105. Follow
      "State Capitol" signs to the Capitol Campus. The Visitors' Center is
      the white building on the SW corner of Capitol Way and 14th. Ample free
      parking available at the visitors' center, on campus and city streets.
      Misc. info: Water and restrooms available at start/finish and
      checkpoint. Pets welcome on the walk, but not in the buildings. Owners
      responsible for complying with leash and cleanup laws. In addition, you
      are strongly advised to carry a flashlight.
      As always, everyone is invited to come early and walk the local
      year-rounds, as well as visit the wonderful farmers' market open
      Saturdays 10-3, and to enjoy the charming shops in downtown Olympia.
      For more info contact Susan Berry at leberry@... or (360)
      491-7266

      12/6/2003 - Walk
      Event Number : 58273 2003/0105 10km
      Start : Lake Boren Park
      Event City: Newcastle
      Start time: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
      Credit only walk is $2.00
      Host Club : Northwest Striders Volkssport Club
      More Details: Click here for directions, ratings, etc.
      Write for more information to:
      4430 S. 263rd Street
      Kent, WA 98032
      Contact : Helene Hedwall, (425) 747 - 2224
      Club Website: http://gowalkingwithnws.org/

      9-digit Zip: ____________

      Make check/money order payable ESVA and mail to:

      ESVA
      10228 ~ 29th Street, East
      Puyallup, WA 98372-1756

      (This form sent by the WalkWashington@yahoogroups.com email list)