Cherry Blossom Walks Everywhere

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      ==============
      Walking Logs - Trackers
      Log your walks with these daily, weekly, monthly printable or bound
      journals and an Excel spreadsheet.
      http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blhowtrack.htm

      Volks-Ware: Clothing and Gear for Walkers and Hikers
      http://volks-ware.com
      Just Ordered: Volkssport USA "Color in the States" shirts including a
      new women's cut tank top
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/vw4.htm
      Order now for best selection.

      ========
      Victoria International Blossom Walks
      Victoria, Canada April 12-14, 2002
      http://www.victoriainternationalblossomwalks.ca
      Three days of IVV-sanctioned walks with distances from 10K to 42K.
      Canada's International Marching League walk.
      Toll Free: 1-877-488-WALK or 1-877-488-9255

      Discovery Walk Festival - Vancouver, WA April 19-21, 2002
      http://www.discoverywalk.org
      Three days of IVV-volkssport walking, biking, swimming with distances
      from 5K to 42K
      Free health and fitness seminars featuring Rob Sweetgall who has walked
      across the USA 7 times, and others. The USA's International Marching
      League walk.
      Toll free phone: 877-269-2009
      Email: info@...
      ========
      Event Change Announcements:
      Check this URL for the latest
      http://www.mdvolks.org/event_status.htm

      April 6-7, 2002 Columbia Volksmarch Club AVA-264 Presents a Spring
      Weekend Walk in Ellicott City and Oella, Maryland AT02/316
      5-km trail rated 2 10-km rated 3 Walk in Two Historic Mill Towns:
      Ellicott City, the seat of Howard County, was founded in 1772 by the
      Ellicott brothers, who built a flour mill on the Patapsco River. The
      town is the site of the nation's oldest surviving railroad terminal, and
      its Main Street (formerly the National Road) is lined with shops and
      restaurants. Oella, across the river in adjacent Baltimore County,
      grew up around the oldest textile mill on the east coast, built in 1808.
      The Benjamin Banneker Historical Park marks the site of this native
      son's home. SPONSORED BY: The Columbia Volksmarch Club (AVA 264).
      SANCTIONED BY: The American Volkssport Association (AVA), a member of
      the International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV), promoting leisure
      sports in the interest of family health, recreation, fun and
      companionship.
      DISTANCE: This is one event with one trail giving distance options of
      5 km, and 10 km. The trail rating for the 5-km walk is 2. The trail
      rating for the 10-km walk is 3.
      TRAIL DESCRIPTION: The 5km trail has some hills and goes through
      historic Ellicott City. It is primarily on sidewalks but significant
      portions are on side streets with no sidewalk. While strollers may do
      this trail, it is not recommended for wheelchairs. The 10km continues
      into Oella to include streets with no shoulders that wind through the
      small historic town of Oella, the natural trails of Banneker Park, and
      the converted rails-to-trails of the old Oella Trolley route. This trail
      is not recommended for strollers and is not suitable for wheelchairs.
      START/FINISH: The Roger Carter Recreation Center, 3676 Fells Lane,
      Ellicott City, MD
      START TIMES: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Must be finished by 4:00 p.m.
      REGISTRATION and FEES: There is no pre-registration for this event. The
      participation fees are: IVV Credit only: $2 Award and IVV Credit: $6 B
      Award (from previous event) and IVV Credit: $3. There is no fee to walk
      the trail without receiving the IVV credit.
      AWARD: TBD
      CONDITIONS: The event will be held during all reasonable weather
      conditions, including rain. Littering along the trails is prohibited.
      County laws require that all pets must be leashed. ELIGIBILITY: All are
      welcome to participate without charge, but must register at the start.
      Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult throughout the entire
      trail. PROCEDURE: Each participant will be issued a start card. It
      must be carried on the walk and presented for validation at each
      checkpoint. Only one start card will be validated per participant. Start
      cards must be turned in at the Finish Table after completing the event.
      Only those participants with a properly validated start card will be
      eligible for the Event Award and/or IVV Credit. The trail may be walked
      two times per start card on the same day at no additional cost.
      WATER and REFRESHMENTS: Water and rest rooms will be available at the
      start and finish point. A checkpoint at the Oella country general store
      will have water. There are many eating opportunities on Main Street in
      Ellicott City.
      DISCLAIMER: Neither the Columbia Volksmarch Club, nor its sponsors,
      shall be liable for accidents, theft or material damage. Every
      reasonable effort will be made to make this a safe, enjoyable and
      memorable event.
      INFORMATION: Call (410) 313-8499 for more information.
      DIRECTIONS: From the North: From the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), take
      Exit 16, I-70 West toward Frederick. Follow I-70 for about 4.5 miles and
      take Exit 87-A, Rt. 29 South toward Columbia. Follow directions "From
      Route 29" below.
      From the South and East: From I95, take Rt. 100 West toward Ellicott
      City (exit 43B). At end of Rt. 100, Take Rt. 29 North toward Ellicott
      City. Follow directions "From Route 29" below. (The trip from I-95 and
      the Washington Beltway (I-495) takes about 30 minutes.)
      From the West: From I-70 take Exit 87-A, Rt. 29 South toward Columbia.
      Follow directions "From Route 29" below.
      From Route 29, Follow Rt. 29 to the Rt. 40 East, Ellicott City exit.
      Exit Rt. 29 and follow Rt. 40 East to traffic signal at Rogers Avenue.
      Turn RIGHT on Rogers Avenue and follow for 1/2 mile to intersection of
      Rogers Avenue and Court House Drive. Keep LEFT and follow Court House
      Drive pass by next RIGHT into the Howard County Office Complex (OLD
      START POINT). Bear RIGHT just past Complex on Ellicott Mills Dr. The
      Start/Finish point is at the Roger Carter Recreation Center which will
      be on your left. Parking is available in a free public parking lot just
      past the Roger Carter Center and on Eillicott Mills Dr. above the Roger
      Carter Center.

      Bethesda, MD (Kenwood Cherry Blossoms) AT2002/329
      Saturday, April 6, 2002
      City, State, Country: Host Club: AVA- 0419, Seneca Valley
      Sugarloafers
      Distance and Trail Rating: The trail is 10 km, rated 2. Suitable for
      strollers and wheelchairs. A 5km option which goes through the cherry
      blossoms requires driving to a different starting point.
      Start place address: The Shops at Sumner Place, 4701 Sangamore Rd.
      Bethesda, MD 20816, lower parking lot.
      Start times: 8 AM to 1 PM. Finish walk by 4 PM Event description: Walk
      on the Capitol Crescent Trail and city streets. The plan is to have the
      cherry blossoms in full bloom..
      Award and fees: Our walk is free. If you wish to receive IVV credit for
      the walk, you must pay $2.00. A variety of "B" awards will be available.
      IVV credit and "B" award is $4.00
      Directions: Washington Beltway (495) to exit 39, River Rd. (MD 190)
      towards Washington. Turn right on Goldsboro (MD 614). Turn left on
      Massachusetts Ave. (MD 396). Turn right on Sangamore Rd. at the
      firehouse.Continue past the Shops at Sumner Place (4701 Sangamore Rd.)
      to stop sign in front of the National Imagery and Mapping Agency. Turn
      left, go 1 block, turn left into the Shops at Sumner Place. Turn
      immediate left into the lower parking lot. Start point is at the
      entrance to the Sumner Place Offices.
      Contact: Jim Hathaway, (301) 229-1356 Email contact:
      hathawayjd@... or desta2@...
      Comments: Pets are allowed but must be leashed at all times during the
      walk. Pets are not allowed in the Sumner Place Offices, but may be
      leashed outside. Only candy will be provided. Refreshments and water are
      available to purchase at the Shops at Sumner Place and along the trail.
      Restrooms are available at the start/finish and along trail.

      Saturday-Sunday, April 6-7, 2002 Cherry Blossom Walk
      Special Security Requirements for the Pentagon: Parking is permitted in
      North Parking (our normal location) for this event. ALL participants 16
      years and older must have a Photo Identification Card that will be
      checked by Government Personnel prior to entry. From the parking lot,
      please follow our markings to the security check point. Event No: AT
      2002 - 0454
      City, State: Arlington, Virginia Host Club: Pentagon Pacesetters
      Distance and Trail Rating: 11 km, Rated 1
      Start place address: Pentagon Athletic Club, North Parking, The
      Pentagon
      Start/Finish times: Between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Event description: The trail is moderately easy, mostly on sidewalks and
      natural improved trails, and has no significant hills. You visit the
      Tidal Basin and Cherry Blossoms. The trail is suited for strollers and
      wheelchairs, but will be crowded.
      Award and fees: There is no award for this event. Participants wishing
      to receive the IVV credit stamp only will be charged $2.00. There is no
      fee for those who wish to participate without receipt of the IVV credit
      stamp. Participants may purchase a t-shirt or patch, designed
      specifically for this event at the Sales table.
      Directions: To reach the Pentagon Athletic Club, follow I-395 in either
      direction to Exit 10 (South) or Exit 10-B (North) and Boundary Channel
      Drive. Stay on boundary Channel Drive until you reach PentagonNorth
      Parking and turn left into the parking lot at our signs. From any other
      direction, follow signs to the Pentagon North Parking.
      Contact: Ron @ (703) 922-1885 or Laurel @ (703) 250-4320 -- between 6:30
      p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Email contact: rparkham@...
      Comments: This is a National Heritage Event and stamp locations will be
      identified at the start. Pets are not permitted inside the Pentagon
      Athletic Club. Our World Famous Wurst and less famous Hotdogs will be
      available.

      WALK THE BEAUTIFUL SEASONS OF MARYLAND -Spring in Historic Savage,
      Maryland AT 2002/331
      April 13, 2002 Savage, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers AVA-190
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5/10 Km Walk Rated 1+
      Start place address: United Methodist Church Faith and Ministry Center
      on the corner of Foundry and Baltimore Streets in Savage, Maryland.
      Watch for parking signs. Overflow parking is available along the city
      side streets, at Savage Park and at Savage Mill.
      Start times: 9 AM. and 12 noon. All walkers must be finished by 3 PM
      Event description: The trail features the Historic Savage Mill, Carroll
      Baldwin Hall, Bollman Truss Bridge, residential areas and Savage Park.
      It will be an easy to follow marked trail on mainly paved surfaces.
      Strollers may negotiate the trail but it is not recommended for
      wheelchairs. A 5-km trail will also be available.
      Award and fees: There is no special award for this event. Awards from
      past events will be available for purchase. A limited supply of pub
      glasses and cutting boards will also be available for purchase. IVV -
      Credit is $2.00
      Directions: From I-95, take Exit 38A, Rt. 32 East, toward Ft. Meade.
      Follow for 1 mile to US 1 South exit. At end of exit, turn RIGHT and
      follow U.S. 1 for a short distance to first traffic signal at Howard St.
      Turn RIGHT onto Howard St. Follow Howard St., which becomes Baltimore
      St., to Foundry Rd. at the walk start/finish.
      Contact: Ruth McCoy 301-317-4549 Email contact:
      remccoy@...
      Comments: Pets must be leashed at all times, and owners are responsible
      for cleaning up after their pets. No littering, please. Water and hard
      candy will be available at the start/finish and at check points.
      Restrooms will be available at the start/finish and along the trail.
      Several restaurants are located in Savage Mill on the walk route.

      Spring Time Walk AT02-0439
      April 13-14, 2002 City, State, Country: Annandale, VA USA
      Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarching Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5/10 KM, Rated 2
      Start place address: Mason District Park, Picnic Shelter, 6621 Columbia
      Pike, Annandale VA Start times: Register between 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
      Finish by 4:00 PM.
      Event description: 10 KM (6.2 miles) trail, rated 2 due to some natural
      surface trails and three noticeable hills, is through the Mason District
      Park, along residential areas, past a golf course, and through Green
      Spring Gardens Park. The trail returns to Mason District Park via
      residential areas and wooded trails. Shorter 5 KM trail, rated 2, is
      also available on request. Trails are suitable for strollers and wagons,
      but not wheelchairs.
      Award and fees: Credit Only event.
      Directions: From I-495 (North or South) in Virginia, take Exit 52B,
      Route 236 East - Little River Turnpike. Follow Little River Turnpike
      about 1.3 miles to John Marr Drive. Turn LEFT at John Marr Drive and
      follow signs to Route 244 - Columbia Pike. You will pass the K-Mart on
      the right. At the light, turn RIGHT (East) on Columbia Pike and follow
      about .8 miles to the sign at Mason District Park. Turn RIGHT into the
      park and follow the Volksmarch signs to the Start Point.
      Contact: Marlene (703)988-0765 Email contact: nelmar@...
      Comments: Restrooms, water and candy available at the Start/Finish, as
      well as the control points on the trail. In case of extreme
      temperatures, it is recommended you carry extra water with you during
      the walk.

      Holmes Run Trail Early Evening Walk AT02-0433
      April 16, 2002 City, State, Country: USA
      Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarching Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5 or 6 KM / 10 KM, Rated 2+
      Start place address: Charles E. Beatley Jr. Central Library, 5005 Duke
      Street, Alexandria VA. Phone (703)519-5900.
      Start times: Start between 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM. Finish by 8:30 PM.
      Event description: The Holmes Run Trail is rated 2+, with some moderate
      hills. Most of the walk is on paved surfaces, although some short
      segments are on natural-surface paths. The trail follows Holmes Run and
      then heads through mixed-use neighborhoods near the Northern Virginia
      Community College Alexandria campus before returning to Beatley
      Library.
      Award and fees: There is no commemorative award for this event. The fee
      for IVV Credit only is $2.00. There is no fee to just walk the trail --
      but you must register and carry a start card.
      Directions: From the SOUTH or WEST via I-395 - take Exit 3 (VA-236/Duke
      Street) EAST - Alexandria. Just past Landmark Center on your left you
      pass beneath Van Dorn Street. Continue EAST on Duke Street for about 1/2
      mile to the 5th traffic light at NORTH Pickett Street. *Be careful as
      the 4th traffic light is South Pickett Street* LEFT at North Pickett
      Street (CVS on the corner). Go about 1/2 block north past the CVS store.
      RIGHT at the Beatley Library sign to enter the parking lot.
      >From the EAST via I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) - take Exit 176 (VA-241/Telegraph Road) NORTH - Alexandria. Continue on Telegraph until you follow a 270-degree ramp around to go WEST on VA-236 (Duke Street). Continue WEST on Duke Street for about 2-1/2 miles, turning RIGHT into the parking lot to the Beatley Library soon after passing the Foxchase Shopping Center on your right.
      Contact: Tom Baerwald (703)765-3128 or Marshall Hansen (301)588-1913.
      WDCAVC, PO Box 3432, Merrifield VA 22116-3432. Email contact:
      baerwald-va@... or Limerick07@...
      Comments: Please remember to bring a flashlight if you plan to walk
      after 7:30 PM. Water is available at the Start/Finish, plus there is
      food and drink available along the trail, but as always it is
      recommended you carry your own water on the walk in case of extreme
      weather or personal cases of dehydration. Littering along the trails is
      prohibited. The events will be held rain or shine. Dogs are allowed but
      must be leashed at all times and cleaned up after by their owner. After
      you complete your walk, please join the Washington DC Area Volksmarching
      Club at our monthly meeting.

      04/27/2002 - 04/28/2002 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2002/0324
      Start: CEDARVILLE STATE FOREST, BRANDYWINE, 5/10KM
      Host Club: Mid-Atlantic Walking Assn.
      Write for more information to:
      5605 ASBURY CT
      ALEXANDRIA, VA 22312-6302
      Contact: Diane Evans 703-354-1735

      04/28/2002 - 04/28/2002 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2002/0325
      Start: AMERICAN LEGION POST 175, SEVERNA PARK, 10KM
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers
      Write for more information to:
      1600 CANANARO CT
      ANNAPOLIS, MD 21401-5618