Olney

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      8/2/2008 Olney, MD
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5km/10km 1+
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: BJ Pumpernickel's 18169 Town
      Center Dr, Olney, MD 20832 - 301-924-1400. Olney Rise & Shine Walk.
      DIRECTIONS: From SOUTH: Take Beltway I-495 to Georgia Ave (Rte 97) North
      to Spartan Ln (approximately 10 miles from I-495). Right on Spartan
      Lane; cross Rt 108. Immediately turn LEFT into Olney Town Center. BJ
      Pumpernickels Restaurant is at the far end of shopping center next to
      movie theaters. From NORTH: Take I-70 to Georgia Ave (Rte 97) South to
      Rte 108. LEFT onto Rte 108 to Town Center Drive. Immediately turn LEFT
      into Olney Town Center. BJ Pumpernickels Restaurant is at the far end of
      shopping center next to movie theaters.
      Event Description: Trail: Rated 1+, offers a 10km course with 5km & 6km
      options on city streets, sidwalks & natural surfaces. We are fortunate
      to have permission to walk through the scenic grounds of Brooke Grove
      Retirement Community as part of the 10km walk. Restrooms, food & water
      are available near the Start/Finish. Water & candy will be provided at
      checkpoint. It is advisable to carry extra water in the summertime.
      Please use sunscreen & wear protective hat. However, a significant
      portion of the walk is along shady lanes but some of the trail will be
      in full sun. Pets on leash are permitted on trail but NOT inside the
      Start/Finish or any building at Brooke Grove. Wheelchairs may experience
      difficulty on natural surface areas. "B" awards are free; sorry no "A"
      awards this time.
      Start Times: Start: 7 am - 9 am; Finish by 12 Noon
      Contact: Jackie Johnson , (301 ) 977 - 6870
      Event Website: www.sugarloafers.org
      E-Mail Contact: gammie0612@...
      Awards and Fees: B Award
      Strollers: hard Wheelchairs: hard Pets: Yes Restrooms: Yes

      ==========================
      WalkMaryland Sponsors - MORE EVENTS BELOW!!!

      Ban Cell Phones While Walking?
      http://walking.about.com/b/2008/07/31/ban-cell-phones-while-walking.htm

      SAVE THE DATE!
      Celebrate the wonderful privilege of travel with Walking Adventures as
      we look toward our 20th Anniversary in 2009!
      YOU’RE INVITED to a FREE afternoon of Food, Fun, and Fellowship! Join us
      for our 2009 Adventure Preview! Click here for more details: 2009
      Adventure Preview.
      SEATTLE AREA: Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:00 to 3:30 pm Community Center
      at Mercer View
      PORTLAND AREA: Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:30 am to 2:00 pm Museum
      of the Oregon Territory
      RSVP REQUIRED!! SPACE and FOOD are limited!
      Contact Debbie or Dani to RSVP or for more details at 800 779 0353 or
      fun@....
      To view our UPDATED 2009 WALKING ADVENTURE SCHEDULE, check our homepage
      at www.walkingadventures.com!

      Newly Arrived Items from Volks-Ware!
      Pro Sport SPF 30 Sunscreen for Walkers and Hikers – Stays on All Day
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/aloe.htm
      So Many Trails… So Little Time T-shirts – New Colors
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/funshirts.htm
      Dr. Hoy’s Pain Relief Gel – For After Long Walks and Hikes
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/drhoys.htm
      =============================

      8/16/2008 Dorsey's Search Village Center Ellicott City MD
      Host Club: Columbia Volksmarch Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10km/05km 2
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: Dorsey's Search Village
      Center, Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott CIty/Columbia, MD 21042 From
      Baltimore, MD, takes I-95 South. From Washington D.C., take I-95 North.
      From Interstate 95 take Exit 38 (MD Route 32) west towards Columbia for
      1.5 miles. Exit onto Route 29 North (Exit 16) and proceed approximately
      5 miles to MD Route 108 West (Exit 21) towards Clarksville. Turn right
      off Rte 108 at the first light onto Columbia Road. Turn right at the
      second light onto Dorsey Hall Drive. Enter the Dorsey Hall Village
      Center at the second entrance on the right. Park in the village center.
      Event Description: Trail is through the Columbia Village of Dorsey's
      Search. It will be along asphalt pathways and sidewalks.
      Start Times: 7:30 am to 9:00 am
      Contact: Tony Willoughby , (410 ) 290 - 3777
      Event Website: www.geocities.com/walkcolumbia
      E-Mail Contact: walkcolumbia@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Suitable for strollers but not wheelchairs. Pets are allowed
      but must be leashed.

      8/17/2008 Buddy Attick Park on Crescent Road. Greenbelt, MD.
      A sunrise walk to honor Sir: Ralph Edwards on his Birthday.Greenbelt MD
      Host Club: Great Greenbelt Volksmarchers, Inc.
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5K/10K
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions:
      Contact: John R. Holloman , (301 ) 937 - 3549

      8/19/2008 Alexandria VA
      Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club, Inc.
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5K/10K 1+
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: Kate Waller Barrett Branch
      Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria VA 22314 DIRECTIONS: From the East
      or West via I 95/I 495 (Capital Beltway): Take Exit 177B (US-1
      North/Alexandria), the first exit west of the Wilson Bridge. Continue
      north on US 1 for about 10 blocks (0.8 miles) to Queen St. (2 blocks
      past King St.). Turn RIGHT on Queen St. for 2 1/2 blocks. The Library
      will be on your left. From the North via the George Washington Memorial
      Parkway: Take the GW Parkway into Old Town Alexandria. Continue on what
      now is called Washington St. for about 8 blocks from the first traffic
      signal at Slater's Lane to Princess St. Turn RIGHT on Princess St. You
      will be one block north of the library, which is on the far side of a
      large parking lot to your left. Street Parking: You can usually find
      parking along the streets, especially on blocks north and east of the
      library. Check signs carefully to determine how long you can legally
      park and whether you might be in a zone that must be cleared during rush
      hour. Lot Parking: Please note that we have been unable to make
      arrangements to use the parking lot behind the library and the Wachovia
      Bank on the same block. You therefore should not park in that lot. If
      you choose to park in any other lot, you may be subject to ticketing
      and/or towing.
      Event Description: This is one of a set of evening walks that consist
      of 10 KM (6.2 miles) trails with shorter 5 KM (3.1 miles) or 6 KM (3.8
      miles) options along residential sidewalks and park trails in Old Town
      Alexandria. Trails will explore various neighborhoods, wander beside the
      Potomac River, and meander up hills that overlook Old Town. Trails are
      rated 1 and 1+, with moderate hills. Trails are mostly on pavement,
      although short segments may be on natural surfaces. Trails should be
      suitable for strollers, although wheelchairs may encounter some
      difficulty. For more detailed information about each month's trail,
      please check with the information contact. Written instructions and maps
      will be provided for each walk. Trails will not be marked.
      Start Times: 4:30-5:30 PM, finish by 8:30
      Contact: Steven Arnett , (443 ) 292 - 4650
      Event Website: www.pollow.com/wdcavc/
      E-Mail Contact: steve.arnett@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Start between 4:30 and 5:30 PM; finish by 8:30 PM.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: medium Pets: Yes Restrooms:
      Yes

      8/23/2008 Augustoberfest FEST Tent Hagerstown MD
      Host Club: Piedmont Pacers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 Km / 6 Km 1+
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: At the FEST Tent, which is
      opposite the parking deck. The parking deck is located on N. Potomac
      St., 1/2 block South of Franklin St. (US-40 West) and 1/2 block north of
      Washington St. (US-40 East). Potomac St. is ONE-WAY going South. The
      "Augustoberfest" FEST Tent will directly across Potomac St. from the
      parking deck. FROM THE EAST: Take I-70 West to EXIT 32B (US 40), exit
      and proceed approx. 3.2 miles to Potomac St., which is just past
      Mulberry St. and Locust St., in that order. Turn Left on Potomac. Go 1/2
      block to parking deck on right ($5.00 all day) and Fest area on left. On
      street meter parking is FREE. FROM NORTH, SOUTH & WEST: Take I-81 to
      EXIT 6 (US 40 East) towards Hagerstown, which is Washington Ave. ONE WAY
      eastbound. After going through an underpass cross Walnut St, Prospect
      St., Jonathan St. to the Public Square at Potomac St. FEST TENT is 1/2
      block to the left. On street meter parking is FREE., the parking deck
      cost $5.00 all day. To reach the Parking Deck, continue to Locust St.,
      turn left to Franklin St. and turn left on Potomac St. to parking deck
      on right. Fest area is on left.
      Event Description: Two trails are offered, a 10 Km and a 6 Km. Walk,
      jog, or run at your own pace. Walk the trails a second time for distance
      credit for no additional fee.
      Start Times: 8:00 am - 12:00 Noon, Finish by 3:00 pm
      Contact: Jerry Baugher , (301 ) 829 - 3685
      Event Website: www.angelfire.com/md2/pacers/index.html
      E-Mail Contact: JGBaugher@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: The trails are on sidewalks and roadsides through the city of
      Hagerstown. You will pass by stately homes, churches built in the late
      1700 to 1800's, the City Farmers Market, over the dry bridge, the
      historic Hager House Museum, through City Park, Washington County Fine
      Arts Museum, Miller House, The Mansion House Art Gallery and the Welcome
      Center. The trails are user friendly to wheelchairs and strollers though
      some difficulty may be encountered where there are curb cuts.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy Wheelchairs: easy Pets: No Restrooms: No
      Event Special Classifications
      Cemetery Stroll
      Courthouses in the USA
      Railroad Heritage