Groundhog Day Walk

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      ==============
      Keeping Your Ears Warm
      Items to keep your ears cozy - from hats to bands to Buffs and Earbags.
      Yes, we're having a heat wave - but winter is still here!
      http://walking.about.com/library/gg/aatpears.htm

      Look for Volks-Ware at the Vancouver Discovery Walks in April. Specialty
      items are: "All American Walker" shirts and Jewelry for the
      Outdoorswoman.
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/walkusa.htm
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/jewelry.htm

      =======
      Event Change Announcements:
      Check this URL for the latest
      http://www.mdvolks.org/event_status.htm

      Groundhog Day 10KM Jaunt AT2002-0315
      Saturday, February 2, 2002
      City, State, Country: Cabin John, MD, USA Host Club: Seneca Valley
      Sugarloafers, AVA 419
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 KM, Trail rating 1+. There is a shorter
      option available.
      Start place address: C & O Canal Towpath- Seven Locks, Carderock
      Recreation Area, Cabin John, MD
      Start times: 10:30-11:00 A.M. (PLEASE NOTE START TIMES). Finish by 2:00
      P.M.
      Event description: Easy walk on the C&O towpath upstream from Carderrock
      to Lock No. 16 and return. Relatively flat natural surfaces except for
      short, rocky patch near Lock 15. Suitable for strollers but not
      wheelchairs. This is a very scenic walk along the Widewater section of
      the canal.
      Award and fees: Our walk is free. If you wish to receive IVV credit for
      the walk, you must pay $2.00 There is no specific award for this event.
      A variety of "B" awards will be available. IVV credit and "B" award is
      $4.00. Pick your award on the day of the event. IVV achievement record
      books will be for sale. Insert cards will be available at no charge.
      Directions: From MD and Washington, D.C.: Take Capital Beltway (I 495)
      outer loop going southwest toward Virginia. Just before the Potomac
      River, take exit 41 in MD, west onto Clara Barton Pkwy. After 1 mile,
      cross overpass into Carderock Recreation Area* (Exit parkway to right.
      Turn left onto overpass. Proceed ahead into park.). After passing under
      C&O Canal, turn right (west) and continue to last parking lot. Please do
      not park on road shoulders. Use alternate parking lots if necessary.
      From Virginia: Take Capital Beltway (I 495) inner loop going Northeast
      toward Maryland. Immediately after crossing the Potomac River (use
      rightmost lane on bridge), take Exit 41 west (Left fork as road splits)
      onto Clara Barton Parkway. After 1.2 miles from Exit 41, cross overpass
      into Carderock Recreation Area and proceed as above*.
      Contact: Jim Hathaway (301) 229-1356, or Stan Forster (301) 530-8173
      Email contact: hathawayjd@... or desta2@...
      Comments: Water and restrooms are only available at the Start/ Finish
      Point. Water will not be available except in the restrooms at the Start
      Point. Pets are allowed, but must be leashed at all times. This walk
      will be held regardless of the weather unless conditions cause sponsors
      to close the trails for safety reasons.

      McLean Community Center Event No: AT 01 - 404 Date(s): Saturday,
      February 9, 2002
      City, State: McLean, Virginia Host Club: Virginia Volkssport
      Association
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km and 5 km, Rated 2
      Start place address: 1234 Ingleside Avenue, McLean, Virginia. Tel: (703)
      790-0123
      Start times: Between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Event description: The trail is on sidewalks and side streets through
      residential areas of McLean, as well as park and recreation areas.
      Award and fees: Awards from previous Virginia events will be available.
      The fee for IVV credit and an award is $3.00 to $4.00. The fee for IVV
      credit only is $2.00.
      Directions: From the Capital Beltway (I-495) to Exit 11A (Rt 123 North,
      Chain Bridge Road, McLean) in Virginia. Follow Rt 123 to McLean. After
      crossing Old Dominion Drive (5th traffic light - Charley's Restaurant on
      right), take the first LEFT, Ingleside Avenue. The Community Center is
      on the left in the second block. Parking is available in the Community
      Center parking lot or in the small Community Park parking lot at the end
      of Oak Ridge Avenue between the Library and the Community Center.
      Contact: Fred or Nancy @ (703) 631-8512 Email contact: Fred/Nancy
      Comments: Pets must be leashed at all times and owners are responsible
      for cleaning up after their pet. Pets are NOT allowed inside the
      start/finish. No littering please. Restrooms and water will be
      available at the start/finish. Water and candy will be available at the
      check point(s). This event will be held in all reasonable weather
      conditions. If in doubt, call.

      02/14/2002 - 02/16/2002 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2002/0319
      Start: HYATT REGENCY AT THE INNER HARBOR, BALTIMORE, 10KM
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Write for more information to:
      7905 OMEGA CT
      KINGSVILLE, MD 21087
      Contact: BILL SIMMONS (410) 592-8440

      Atlantic Regional Conference
      Williamsburg, VA
      March 14-17, 2002
      http://ava-atlanticregion.tripod.com/conf/index.html

      I regret to announce that the walk (AT 02-405) that the Gator
      Volksmarsch Club had scheduled for 9 Mar 02 for the Outback in
      Chesapeake, VA, has had to be cancelled. We ran into some difficulties
      beyond our control at that location which prevented us from using that
      site for a walk. We attempted to locate an alternate walk site, but we
      found nothing that would allow us to put on a quality event.
      Accordingly, we have decided to cancel the event.