Top 10 Walks

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      2007 Year-Round Events
      http://www.ava.org/gen3/data/year_round_events_listings.asp?StShortName=MD

      ====================
      Top 10 Walks
      The votes are in, here are the 10 best Year-Round or Seasonal Walks in
      the USA
      http://walking.about.com/od/trails/a/topten2006.htm

      Join Walking Adventures International next summer for the AVA California
      Convention! June 20 - July 5, 2007 16 days Including 7 AVA walks in
      addition to all Convention walks.
      Next summer's 15th Biennial Convention of the AVA is shaping up to be a
      great event, and Walking Adventures is planning to be a part of it. We
      are offering a motorcoach Adventure that participates in all the
      memorable walking events and special activities of this exciting
      multi-day walking festival. Here's the program in a nutshell:
      * Our motorcoach is with us for the entire 16-day program
      * Start and finish in Portland, Oregon
      * Participate in all walks and activities of the AVA Convention
      Includes walks and sightseeing en route at Oregon's Crater Lake National
      Park, the Rogue River jetboat ride, southern Oregon coastal wonders, and
      Redwoods National Park in California.
      Call 1-800-779-0353 or visit our web site at
      http://www.walkingadventures.com/2007/AVA/ for complete details.

      Get Fit Through Walking in 2007
      Exerstrider Poles:
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/exerstrider.htm
      Timex Pedometer: http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/ped.htm
      Wicking Socks: http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/socks.htm
      ========================

      2/24/2007 to 2/25/2007
      City and State: Baltimore MD
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      74827 Distance and Trail Rating: 10 K, 1+
      74825 Distance and Trail Rating: 5 and 11 Km 1+
      74826 Distance and Trail Rating: 5 & 10 Km 1+
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: DuBurns Arena, 1301 South
      Ellwood Ave From north and south on I-95: Take exit 57 (Baltimore Travel
      Plaza exit) to O'Donnell-Boston St. If you are coming from the wouth you
      will need to be in the far right lane of the Fort McHenry tunnel as Exit
      57 is immediately after the toll plaza. At traffic light for Boston St,
      turn west toward downtown Baltimore. Drive approximately 1 mile on
      Boston to "Du"Burns arena on the right at Boston St and Ellwood Ave.
      Parking is available at the arena and across Boston St in the park
      parking lot. From the north on I-83: I-83 becomes President Street.
      Continue on President about 0.5 miles to Fleet St. Turn left onto Fleet
      for about 1 mile to Boston St. Turn right on Boston for about 1 mile to
      South Ellwood Ave. Parking is available at the arena and across Boston
      St in the park parking lot.
      Event Description: Three walks all starting from the "Du"Burns arena
      with various views of the Inner Harbor, Little Italy, Canton,
      Highlandtown, Fells Point.
      Start Times: 8 am to 1 pm, finish by 4 pm
      Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres , (410 ) 592 - 3171
      Event Website: baltimorewalkingclub.org
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Amenities: Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: medium Pets: Yes
      Restrooms: Yes
      Event Special Classifications: Lighthouse USA, Railroad Heritage,
      Walking Europe in the USA

      3/4/2007 Breakfast Walk, Elk Lodge #2482
      Event Special Classifications: Cemetery Stroll, Railroad Heritage
      City and State: Severna Park, Maryland 21046 MD
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5km - 10km 1
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: Breakfast Walk, Elk Lodge
      #2482 160 Truck House Rod, Severna Park, MD 21146 From I-95, take Rt.
      32 East to Rt. 3/I97. Exit onto I-97 North, toward Baltimore. Take Exit
      10 (Veterans Hwy., Benfield Blvd., Severna Park). At the first traffic
      signal, turn LEFT on Veterans Hwy. to Benfield Blvd. Turn RIGHT on
      Benfield Blvd. and continue for 2.8 miles to Truck House Rd. Turn LEFT
      on Truck House Rd., for 1 mile to Elks Lodge on RIGHT. FROM I-95, take
      Rt. 100 East to Exit 16A (Route 2, Ritchie Hwy). Exit and follow Rt. 2
      for .06 mile to first traffic signal. Turn RIGHT on Jumpers Hole Road
      and follow for 2.5 miles to Earleigh Heights Rd. Turn LEFT on Earleigh
      Heights Rd. for 0.4 miles to Truck House Road. Turn RIGHT on Truck House
      Rd. for 0.4 miles. Elks Lodge is on the LEFT.
      Event Description: The trail is on natural surfaces, country roads, the
      B&A Trail and Kinder Farm Park Trails.
      Start Times: Between 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. finish by 1 p.m.
      Contact: Bill Hassell , (410 ) 437 - 2164
      Event Website: www.ava.org/clubs
      E-Mail Contact: wahasse@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: The Elk's Lodge will be serving a full hot breakfast from 9
      AM to 11 AM the morning of the walk. Volks-prices are $6 for adults and
      $3 for children. Please support our sponsor. The fee for IVV Credit or
      Non-IVV Credit is $3. Children 12 and under (IVV-Credit included ) walk
      for free courtesy of Freestate Happy Wanderers.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy Wheelchairs: medium Pets: Yes Restrooms: Yes

      3/11/2007 Honeygo Run Regional Park
      City and State: Perry Hall MD
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5 & 10 Km 1+
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: Honeygo Run Regional Park
      9033 Honeygo Blvd., Perry Hall, MD 21128. From I-95 going north or
      south; take exit 67B heading West on Rt 43 toward Route 1. Turn right at
      the 1st light (Honeygo Blvd). Go 1.4 miles (just past the footbridge).
      Turn right into Honeygo Run Regional Community Center Drive. Please park
      behind the building; we will be under a pavilion. From the inner loop of
      I-695 take exit 31C (left lane exit only) to 5th traffic light. Turn
      left and go 1.4 miles (just past footbridge). Turn right into Honeygo
      Run Regional Community Center Drive. Please park behind the building; we
      will be under a pavilion. There is no exit from the outer loop of I-695.
      Event Description: The walk goes through the park and neighborhoods in
      the White Hall and White Marsh area. Most sidewalks are accessible by
      wheelchairs and strollers.
      Start Times: 8 am to 12 pm, finish by 3 pm
      Contact: Dave & Lee Peters , (410 ) 668 - 1614
      Event Website: baltimorewalkingclub.org
      E-Mail Contact: leendavep@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Pets are welcome but must be on a leash at all times and
      you must clean up after them.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: medium Pets: Yes
      Restrooms: Yes

      3/31/2007
      City and State: Washington, D.C. DC
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5K, 10K 2
      Start Point Address / Driving Directions: The United States Arboretum
      3501 New York Ave NE
      Start Times: 8:00 AM finish by 4:00 PM
      Contact: John Carolus , (410 ) 224 - 0907
      Event Website: www.geocities.com/aamblers
      E-Mail Contact: jcarolus@...
      Awards and Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Amenities: Strollers: medium Wheelchairs: hard Pets: No Restrooms: Yes

      4/14/2007 - Walk
      Event Number : 77353 10km/5km
      Start : Waverly Elementary School, 10220 Wetherburn Road Ellicott City,
      MD 21042
      Event City: Ellicott City
      Host Club : Columbia Volksmarch Club
      Event Website: www.geocities.com/walkcolumbia
      Write for more information to:
      6887 Garland Lane
      Columbia, MD 21045
      Contact : Karen Dye, (410) 290 - 3777
      E-Mail: walkcolumbia@...

      ========================
      Vancouver Discovery Walk Festival - Vancouver, WA, USA
      April 27-29, 2007
      Walks! Bikes! Swims!
      Extreme Distance!
      http://www.discoverywalk.org

      2007 AVA Walking Convention - Sacramento, CA
      June 23- July 1
      http://www.2007avaconvention.org/
    • Wendy Bumgardner
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2014
        Top 10 Walks in the USA
        Final Results!
        http://walking.about.com/od/top-ten-walks/tp/Top-10-Walks-in-the-USA-2013.htm

        3/1/2014
        City / State: Baltimore, MD
        Event Name: BMoreHealthy Expo
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 98329
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5 K and 10 K - 1A
        the Expo.
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
        Start Times: 9 am to 2 pm, finish by 5 pm
        Location: Baltimore Convention Center, BMoreHealthy Expo
        Start Point / Driving Directions: Baltimore Convention Center, 1 W Pratt
        St, Baltimore, MD 21201 at the corner of Pratt and Charles Streets. The
        walk views the downtown areas of Baltimore through the eyes of a walker!
        It goes through the Inner Harbor and waterfront areas. It will pass the
        unique town houses that comprise Fells Point and Federal Hill. It will
        look at the Oriole stadium and some of the downtown museums and
        commemorative monuments.
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: Dogs are welcome to participate in the walk but are not
        allowed in the convention center. They must be leashed and cleaned up
        after according to city ordinance.
        Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
        Contact: Susan Kenyon (410) 870-6616
        Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
        E-Mail Contact: suethewalker@...

        2014 Atlantic Region Conference
        Three Walks and One Swim
        (also available – Eight Year-Round Walks in Lancaster County)
        DATE: Friday, March 14 – Sunday, March 16, 2014
        SPONSOR: Keystone State Volkssport Association
        START LOCATION: lower level of Lancaster Host Resort, 2300 Lincoln
        Highway East, Lancaster, PA 17201. Registration is on Friday, 9 am - 5
        pm; Saturday, 8 am - 2 pm; Sunday, 8 am to 1 pm. IVV books must be
        stamped by Sunday, 4 pm.
        Walk #1: AVA Event # AT14/96224 5K & 10K Trails, Rated 1A
        Shop ‘Till You Drop Walk – This is the featured walk on Friday, March
        14. This walk starts from the resort and features the two extremes of
        Lancaster County. The first part of the walk is in the commercial,
        tourist oriented Lancaster County, and passes the Rockvale Square
        Outlets and the Tanger Outlets. The second part is along rural roads
        bordered by Amish and “English” farms and homesteads.
        Special Programs: Honoring Our Flag, S.N.O.B
        Walk # 2: AVA Event # AT14/96178 6K & 10K Trails, Rated 1A
        Strasburg Walk – This is the featured walk on Saturday, March 15. After
        registering, you must drive 5 miles to the start at the Strasburg Rail
        Road in Ronks. This walk will pass the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
        and visit the village of Strasburg.
        Special Programs: Fraternal Organizations, Grist Mills, Honoring Our
        Flag, Main Street, National Register of Historic Places, S.N.O.B., Water
        Towers
        Walk # 3: AVA Event # AT14/96390 5K & 10K Trails, Rated 1B
        East Lampeter Walk – This is the featured walk on Sunday, March 16.
        After registering, you must drive 1 mile to the East Lampeter Township
        Community Park. The walk goes on paved trails in East Lampeter Township
        Community Park, Bentley Ridge Apartments and Condominium Development,
        and in the Amish Farm and House Complex. You will pass Amish farms, the
        Willow Hill Covered Bridge, and the American Music Theater.
        Special Programs: Honoring Our Flag, S.N.O.B., Trekking with the Trees
        300m Swim: AVA Event # AT14/96177
        Consider doing the swim event each day
        The indoor pool is open daily from 7 am – 11 pm. Due to insurance
        reasons, only guests of the Lancaster Host Resort may use the swimming
        pool. Therefore in order to do this swim event, you must be a guest of
        the Lancaster Host Resort.
        Saturday Afternoon Activities
        3:00 pm Workshop #1:: ”AVA: Past, Present and Future” (How can AVA help
        clubs and how clubs can help AVA) by Chuck Blische, AVA Marketing Director.
        4:00 pm Workshop #2:: “The Perfect Event” by Bob & Suzanne Wright,
        President, Loudon Walking & Volkssport Club.
        5:00 pm Atlantic Region Meeting.
        Volunteers are needed. If you want to help at the conference, please
        attach a note and let us know when you are available and which jobs you
        are interested in!
        SANCTIONED BY: This event is sanctioned by the American Volkssport
        Association (AVA), a member of the International Federation of Popular
        Sports. This event counts towards the acquisition of IVV Achievement awards.
        PROCEDURE: AVA policy requires that every participant, fee or non-fee,
        sign the insurance waiver and obtain a numbered start card which is
        stamped at control points along the course. At the Finish, the validated
        card is turned in and IVV books are stamped for official credit, if the
        credit fee has been paid. The trail may be walked a second t me on the
        same day using the same start card at no additional cost.
        ELIGIBILITY: Everyone is welcome to participate. Children 12 and under
        must be accompanied by an adult. Walk at your own pace. Runners are welcome!
        REGISTRATION and FEES: IVV credit is $3.00. IVV credit w/ “A” Award is
        $6.00. There will be no refunds. Preregister using the form enclosed
        with this brochure or on the KSVA web site: www.ksva.net
        CONDITIONS: The event will be held regardless of the weather. There will
        be no littering. Wildlife and plant life are not to be disturbed. Pets
        must be on a leash at all times and are not permitted in any buildings.
        AWARD: The “A” Award for each of the three walks is one of the 1” hat
        pins that are featured on the cover of this brochure. We have 100 of
        each hat pin; there will not be a reorder.
        RESTROOMS: Restrooms are available at the start and at least one other
        location on each 10K trail.
        REFRESHMENTS: Water and hard candy will be available at the start/finish
        and checkpoints.
        DISCLAIMER: The American Volkssport Association or its subsidiary clubs
        are not responsible for theft or loss of personal belongings or
        property. All participants must sign a waiver.
        Directions to the Lancaster Host Resort:
        2300 Lincoln Highway East (Route 30), Lancaster, PA 17602 Phone: (717)
        299-5500. It is located on US 30 just east of Lancaster.
        From I-76; take the Route 222 Exit, follow Route 222 to US 30 and
        follow US 30 East. After passing Dutch Wonderland on the left, Lancaster
        Host Resort will be on the right.
        From I-83 at York: follow US 30 East After passing Dutch Wonderland on
        the left, Lancaster Host Resort will be on the right.
        From Coatesville: follow US 30 West. After passing the Rockvale Square
        Outlets, the Lancaster Host Resort will be on the left.
        Parking: Follow the signs and park on the right side of the hotel where
        there is plenty of parking.
        Join us for the Friday Meet ‘n Greet Buffet at 7:00 pm. Instead of the
        usual finger foods, a buffet will be served which includes salad, Beef
        Bourguignon with noodles, grilled Tilapia with mango chutney and breast
        of chicken Veronique There will also be risole potatoes, carrots, a
        squash medley, rolls and bread, and assorted desserts. Cost is $27.00.
        There will be a cash bar.
        The Saturday night banquet will begin at 6:30 pm and will feature a
        “Pennsylvania Dutch Buffet” consisting of roasted pork and sauerkraut,
        Pennsylvania Dutch style chicken potpie, honey baked ham with raisins,
        salad, freshly baked breads, mashed potatoes, green beans and ham,
        buttered corn, shoo fly pie, Dutch apple pie, chocolate cake, and
        whoopee pies. The guest speaker is Jeff Bach, Director of the Young
        Center for Anabaptist & Pietist Studies at Elizabethtown College. His
        topic is “Wanderers to Pennsylvania”. Cost is $33. A cash bar will be
        open prior to seating.
        In lieu of a registration fee, there will be a silent auction to raise
        funds to support the conference. We encourage every attendee to
        contribute an item and make a bid on the items contributed.
        FOR MORE INFORMATION: Joan Lampart at home phone (215) 529-5686). Email:
        jmlampart@...
        HOTEL RESERVATIONS can be made at the Lancaster Host Resort at the rate
        of $99.00 plus tax. Reservations must be made by Feb 14, 2014. Call
        (717) 299-5500 and ask for “reservations”. Tell them it is for the
        American Volkssport Association block of rooms. There will be a drawing
        for free lodging during the conference for some lucky person, but only
        those registered at the Lancaster Host Resort are eligible.
        2014 Atlantic Region Conference
        Registration

        Name:_____________________________Club:_________________

        Address:________________________________________________

        City:____________________________State:_______Zip:_________

        Phone:_______________Email:______________________________
        Emergency
        Contact:_____________________________Phone:______________

        Conference Package: $80.00 _____________
        The package includes the three walks w/ “A” Awards, the conference
        patch, Friday Meet ‘n Greet Buffet, and Saturday Night Buffet.

        Individual Items:

        Meet ‘n Greet Buffet: $27.00 _____________

        Saturday Night Banquet $33.00 ______________

        Conference Patch: $6.00 ______________

        Walk #1 Credit $3.00_______ Credit w/ “A” Award $6.00 _________

        Walk #2 Credit $3.00_______ Credit w/ “A” Award $6.00 _________

        Walk #3 Credit $3.00_______ Credit w/ “A” Award $6.00 _________

        Swim Credit $3.00 ______________

        Total Enclosed: ______________
        Checks should be made payable to “KSVA”
        Mail registration and check to KSVA, c/o Pat Eby, 19 N. 27th St, Camp
        Hill, PA 17011

        ===
        Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
        http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm