Annapolis Oktoberfest - Glenn Dale Columbus Day

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2001
      =============
      Wendy Walks the Portland Marathon
      What a walker will do for 42K in the IVV Record Book
      http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa100101a.htm

      Volks-Ware is donating a percentage of proceeds from our Volkssport USA
      Shirts and patches to The New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief
      Fund.
      For more information see our main page and click through to our selected
      shirts. http://volks-ware.com And, don't forget, we have those pink
      "Extreme Walker" shirts supporting Wendy's donation to the Avon 3-Day
      Walk breast cancer research program. Giving back is what it's all about!
      ============
      Event Change Announcements:
      Check this URL for the latest
      http://www.mdvolks.org/event_status.htm

      Lea Seats the Litchfield Trail Master contacted me yesterday morning to
      inform me that the County Seat Restaurant has been closed by the bank.
      We are currently attempting to retrieve the Walk Box and establish
      another Start Point for this walk.
      While share details as available, suggestions welcome.
      Anyone wishing to walk this trail, before we establish a new start
      point, can find trail map and directions online at:
      http://www.geocities.com/htmlworx/cvvctrails/litdir99.htm
      Then contact P.O.C. Lea Seats at P.O. Box 251 Glastonbury, CT 06033-0251
      with appropriate fee and insert cards will be mailed for event and
      distance credit
      -Bob McDougall, President CVVC

      DATE CHANGE FOR FT. DETRICK VOLKSMARCH - TO OCT. 20.
      Due to the recent tragedies and heightened security awareness it was
      deemed prudent to postpone the Volksmarch and Fall Fest, at Ft.
      Detrick. The Volksmarch and Fall Fest originally scheduled for
      September 29th has been postponed to October 20, 2001. Hope to see you
      all then and there.
      For further Volksmarch info call: Chuck (410) 795-7855 or email:
      <cbm95@...> .

      Annapolis Oktoberfest Walk DATE CHANGE to October 7
      You all know what they say about the best laid plans? Well, that's what
      happened to the Annapolis Amblers and their fabulous 11th annual
      Oktoberfest walk. After being sanctioned and distributing tons of
      brochures, we just found out that the date of the West Annapolis
      Oktoberfest event has been changed fron Sunday, October 14 to
      Sunday,October 7. Since it's such a fun occassion and we have already
      planned for a new trail to feature some of the lesser known and traveled
      jewels of Annapolis, the decision was made to have the event on the new
      date. All
      the other info on the events site of the AVA is correct except the date.
      For those of you who may have put the incorrect date on you calendar
      months ago, we apologize.
      We hope everyone can attend our premier event of the year. Normally the
      weather is fabulous, the food, music and German beers are superb, and of
      course, the walk is well worth the drive. See you all on October 7th!
      Any other questions, feel free to contact Adele Degnan at
      adegnan@...
      City, State, Country: Annapolis, MD
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers (AVA 595)
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10K, trail rated 1+
      Start place address: Regina's Continental Delicatessan and Restaurant,
      26 Annapolis St., Annapolis, MD
      Start times: 8 AM to 1PM. Must be finished by 4 PM
      Event description: This volksmarch is held in conjunction with the West
      Annapolis Oktoberfest. Good food, Germam beer, music and dancing.The
      walk is through the historic city of Annapolis, which is also the
      Capital of Maryland and the home of the U.S. Naval Academy. The route
      follows road shoulders and primarily sidewalks. Annapolis pavements are
      rough (part of the historic flavor) but suitable for large-wheeled
      strollers. Dogs are welcome on the trail.
      Award and fees: B Awards available.
      Directions: The major routes to Annapolis are I-97 from the north,
      US-50/301 from either east or west, and MD-2 from either north or south.
      When near Annapolis, I-97 and MD-2 will merge into US 50/301. Continue
      on US-50/301 and take exit 24 marked MD-70 South, Rowe Blvd., Annapolis.
      Continue South on Rowe Blvd., cross Weems Creek and turn left at first
      traffic light onto Melvin Ave., go two blocks to Annapolis St. (street
      will be closed for Oktoberfest activities), turn right, then one block
      to Regina's Restaurant on the left. Parking is available on nearby
      streets or three blocks west of start/finish at the US Naval Academy
      Stadium off Rowe Blvd.
      Contact: Jim or Barbara Fons (410)757-6983, or Bob Schmick (410)
      647-5919,
      Email contact: marktim@... or fons@...
      Comments: 2001 Oktoberfest path will be new to all previous Oktoberfest
      walkers. You will travel through the Naval Academy and historic
      downtown, and through the lovely Tawes Garden. Return to Regina's for
      Germam food, beer, music and dancing and arts and crafts. An Annapolis
      Oktoberfest tradition!

      Discover America on Foot Columbus Day Walk AT2001/0308
      October 6, 2001
      City, State, Country: Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km with 6 km option, both Rated 1
      Start place address: Glenn Dale Community Center, 11901 Glenn Dale
      Boulevard, Glenn Dale, MD
      Start times: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., finish by 4 p.m.
      Event description: Out and back on the new Washington, Baltimore, &
      Annapolis (W.B.&A.) Recreational Trail. The trail is paved, smooth, and
      has no significant hills. There are four bridges and one tunnel on the
      section being walked. The trail is suiotable for strollers and
      wheelchairs.
      Award and fees: There is no specific award for this event. The walk is
      free and open to the public. Participants desiring credit towards
      International Federation of Popular Sports awards must pay a $2.00 fee.
      Directions: From the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, exit at Route
      193/Greenbelt Road East. *
      From the Capital Beltway, either direction, take Exit 23 (Kenilworth
      Avenue) to Route 193 East/Greenbelt Road. *
      * Follow Route 193/Greenbelt Road East, past the Goddard Space Flight
      Center. Continue on Route 193, crossing Route 564/Lanham-Severn Road.
      Route 193 becomes Glenn Dale Boulevard at this point. Continue east on
      Glenn Dale Boulevard for approximately 1.4 miles. The Glenn Dale
      Community Center will be on your right, across from the Glenn Dale Fire
      Station.
      Contact: Mike Quinlan, 301-805-4278
      Email contact: mikemq@...
      Comments: The trail is located on the abandoned railbed of the former
      W.B.&A. Railroad. This electric railroad served a commuter function
      between 1908 and 1935. The W.B.&A. Trail forms a segment of the East
      Coast Greenway and the American Discovery Trail, both designated as
      National Millennium Trails.

      10/13/2001 - 10/13/2001 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2001/0328
      Start: SENECA CREEK STATE PARK, GAITHERSBURG, 5/10/20KM
      Host Club: SENECA VALLEY SUGARLOAFERS
      Write for more information to:
      PO BOX 3716
      GAITHERSBURG, MD 20885-3716
      Contact: ED BRANGES 301-340-9418

      Volksmarch AT2001/0319 DATE CHANGE!
      October 20, 2001
      City, State, Country: Ft. Detrick - (Frederick County) Frederick, MD -
      USA
      Host Club: Piedmont Pacers Volksmarch Club of Carroll County
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10Km & 5Km trails, both rated 1
      Start place address: Blue/Gray Field, Ft. Detrick , Frederick, MD
      Start times: Start: 8AM to 11AM; Finish: 2PM
      Event description: Relatively flat on paved and gravel surface paths,
      sidewalks and roadsides around the perimeter of Ft. Detrick, very little
      shade.
      Award and fees: No award for this event. To walk is FREE, for IVV credit
      the fee is $2.00.
      Directions: From the South, East and West: take Interstate I-70 to
      Frederick, MD, Exit onto US 15 North towards Gettysburg. Take the Ft.
      Detrick/7th Street exit. Turn right on 7th Street and follow signs to
      Ft. Detrick. From the North: Travel South on US 15 to the Ft.
      Detrick/7th Street exit. Exit and turn right on 7th St. Follow signs to
      Ft. Detrick and proceed straight on to the Post.
      The Blue/Gray field is just inside the gate on the far left corner.
      Contact: POC: Chuck at (410)795-7855
      Email contact: cbm95@...
      Comments: The Volksmarch is being held in conjunction with Ft. Detrick's
      annual Fall Fest. A garage sale/flea market starts at 8AM. At 11AM the
      activities begin, music, German style food and drink, crafts and rides
      for children.

      10/20/2001 - 10/20/2001 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2001/0354
      Start: PSI NET STADIUM, BALTOMORE, 5/10KM
      Host Club: BALTIMORE WALKING CLUB
      Write for more information to:
      7905 OMEGA CT
      KINGSVILLE, MD 21087