Mt. Airy - Annapolis

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      ===============
      When Should You Stretch?
      http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/stretch092404.htm

      Walking Adventures International: History, Culture, Scenery, and
      Walking...more than just a walking tour! Another walking season is just
      around the corner! Travelers who register for any tour featured below by
      October 15 are entitled to the Early Registration Bonuses listed:
      BLUE HAWAII (January 18 - 29, 2005) An evening at the Old Lahaina Luau
      on Maui OR an $85 credit toward the flightseeing trip to Molokai.
      COSTA RICA & PANAMA (February 15 – 25, 2005) A zipline canopy ride
      through the treetops near the Arenal Volcano or a $50 credit toward the
      Panama Extension.
      AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND (March 22 – April 12, 2005) A magical Sydney
      Harbour dinner cruise or a $50 credit towards Completely Kiwi (New Zealand).
      SOUTH AMERICA (March 26 – April 11, 2005) A quality Alpaca sweater from
      Alpaca 111, a respected clothier in Peru! You'll be able to pick out
      your own style, size, and color directly from the store in Cuzco.
      NATIONAL PARKS OF THE AMERICAN SOUTHWEST (May 8 – 21, 2005) A
      flightseeing expedition over Grand Canyon, one of the natural wonders of
      the world.
      Call 1.800.779.0353 today to claim your spot! You can also email
      fun@... or visit us online at
      http://www.walkingadventures.com

      Gifts. Buy Now if you want a good selection:
      Guatemalan Fanny Packs and Wallets
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/bag.htm
      Those beautiful glass ornaments made in Poland
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/ornament.htm
      Our Top Picks for Walking and Hiking Gifts
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/toppicks.htm
      =============

      10/2/2004 to 10/3/2004
      City and State: Mt. Airy MD
      68105
      Host Club: Piedmont Pacers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10/5 2
      Start Point Address: Mt. Airy Middle School 102 Watersville Road, Mt.
      Airy, MD
      Event Description: Trails are on paved road shoulders and sidewalks.
      Wheelchairs may have difficulty with curbs; strollers should have few
      problems.
      Start Times: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Contact: Ed Tecco , (410 ) 386 - 0057
      Event Website:
      E-Mail Contact: edandmimi@...
      Awards and Fees:
      Event is free for those who do not wish to receive IVV credit. Fee
      for IVV credit is $3.00.
      Directions:
      From I-70: Take Exit 68 (MD27) and proceed toward Mt. Airy. Go
      approximately 2 miles to Watersville Road. Turn left onto Watersville
      Road; the school is a short distance on the left. From MD27: Proceed
      south on MD 27 toward Mt . Airy, approximately 4.5 miles to Watersville
      Road. Turn right on Watersville Road; school is a short distance on the
      left.
      Comments:
      The Mt. Airy Fall Festival is scheduled for this weekend, 9-5
      Saturday, and 10-5 Sunday on Main Street. This walk provides credit as a
      Civil War walk.

      10/3/2004 14th Annual Oktoberfest
      City and State: Annapolis MD
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10K Trail rated 1+
      Start Point Address:14th Annual West Annapolis Oktoberfest , Annapolis
      Street across from Reginia's Restaurant
      Event Description: 10K/6.2 miles with a trail rating of 1+. The walk is
      through the historic city of Annapolis,which is also the Capital of
      Maryland and the home of the U.S. Naval Academy. The route follows
      sidewalks and road shoulders. Annapolis pavements are rough, which is
      part of the historic flavor of the city. They are suitable for
      wheelchairs and large-wheeled strollers. Dogs are welcome on the trail.
      Please remember to pick up after them.
      Start Times: 8:00 AM finish by 4:00 PM
      Contact: Diane Messer , (410 ) 224 - 0907
      Event Website: Annapolis Amblers
      E-Mail Contact: dmesser@...
      Awards and Fees:
      Ambler hat pin $3.00, IVV credit $3.00
      Directions:
      From North: Take I97 South or Route 2 South. From South: Route 2
      North. From East or West: Route 50 towards Annapolis. From Route 2 or
      I97, merge onto Route 50/301, Take Exit #24 marked Route 70 South-Rowe
      Blvd. Take bridge over Weems Creek, Turn left at first traffic light
      onto Melvin Avenue. Drive two blocks to Annapolis Street (the street
      will be closed due to Oktoberfest activities). Parking is Available on
      nearby streets or 3 blocks west of walk start/finish point at US Naval
      Academy Stadium off Rowe Blvd. Once parked, walk to Regina's Restaurant
      on Annapolis Street. Start table will be right across the Street.
      Comments:
      Theme: The West Annapolis Octoberfest begins at 12 noon with a
      variety of food, music and unique entertainment. Tha Volksmarch walk
      begins at 8:00 AM.
      http://www.geocities.com/aamblers/Events.html

      10/9/2004 - Walk
      Event Number : 68812 5/10 K
      Start : Shrom Hills Park
      Event City: Greenbelt
      Host Club : Great Greenbelt Volksmarchers, Inc.
      Write for more information to:
      4617 Lincoln Ave.
      Beltsville, MD 20705
      Contact : John Holloman, (301) 397 - 2204
      E-Mail: salva_h@...

      10/16/2004 - Walk
      Event Number : 67538 11k/6k/5k
      Start : Watkins Mill High School
      Event City: Gaithersburg
      Host Club : Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Event Website: ebran@...
      Write for more information to:
      1830 Greenplace Terrace
      Rockville, MD 20850
      Contact : Ed Branges, (301) 340 - 9418
      E-Mail: ebran@...
      Club Website: www.sugarloafers.org/

      10/17/2004
      68423
      Event Special Classifications Civil War Battlefields
      City and State: Baltimore MD
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5K, 10K, 20K 2+
      Start Point Address: Crimea Mansion, Leakin Park 1901 Eagle Drive,
      Baltimore, MD 21207
      Event Description: Paved, crushed rock, and natural surface sections of
      the Gwynns Falls Trail and feeder trails through the combined Gwynns
      Falls and Leakin Parks, hills on the sides of the stream valley, and low
      traffic quiet streets in residential community of Dickeyville.
      Start Times: 7-11 am, finish by 3 pm.
      Contact: Ric Nauen , (410 ) 730 - 3514
      Event Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.org
      E-Mail Contact: ren21@...
      Awards and Fees:
      $3.00 for AVA credit. B awards available.
      Directions:
      DIRECTIONS: From the west on I-70 cross the Patapsco River into
      Baltimore County. Stay in the far left lane to end of I-70 at Park &
      Ride, bypassing 2 lanes for Exit 91 (Baltimore Beltway/I-695 north and
      south). From all other directions take Baltimore Beltway/I-695 around
      the city to Exit 16-B for local traffic to the same Park & Ride at the
      end of I-70. At Park & Ride take Exit 94 ramp to merge onto Security
      Blvd. At 1st intersection (traffic light) turn right on Forest Park Ave.
      Drive up hill on Forest Park, passing several small side streets, to 1st
      traffic light, Windsor Mill Rd. Turn right on Windsor Mill along edge of
      Leakin Park, past unnamed entrance and Eagle Dr gate, then follow signs
      and guides to parking.
      Comments:
      This is a Civil War walk and is in Baltimore City.
      Amenities:
      Strollers: Hard Wheelchairs: Hard Pets: Yes Restrooms: Yes

      Third Annual ROA-US FreedomWalk Festival™*
      22-24 October 2004• Washington, DC USA
      A Walking Sport Event Open to Everyone!
      Walk for fitness, friendship, and fun with others of all ages from
      around the United States and around the world with the themes of:
      Fitness through Walking..Honoring American Freedoms..Honoring
      International Friendships All are eligible to receive the “Surgeon
      General’s FreedomWalk Medal”
      The ROA-US FreedomWalk Festival is the first international
      military-civilian "march" or walk in the United States with the theme of
      learning about the country's history and government and our most
      cherished concept--"freedom." It is a physical fitness challenge that
      also honors our international friendships.
      The trails wind around the government buildings and monuments of our
      nation's capital city as well as through magnificent parks. Each day
      takes you to the memorials that honor the men and women who struggled to
      create and to maintain the freedoms that we enjoy, and to symbols of the
      international friendships that we have around the world.
      START/FINISH:
      Reserve Officers Association
      Minuteman Memorial Building
      1 Constitution Avenue, NE
      Washington, D.C. 20002
      USA
      TIMES: Friday Walk: 1 pm.
      Saturday and Sunday: Individuals can start between 9:00 a.m. and noon
      each day. Groups and individuals should try to see the opening
      ceremonies on Saturday at 9:00. Everyone should finish by 5 p.m. on both
      days. Marathon participants on Saturday must be at the ROA Building at
      0630 to be registered and bussed to the entrance of the Mount Vernon
      Estate in Virginia.
      DISTANCES/TRAILS: Each day features a different walk available only on
      that day. Checkpoints along the way provide a place to relax and provide
      free refreshments.
      Saturday: Participants can select between a 7, 12, 21, or 44 kilometer
      (3, 7, 12, or 28 miles) walk which could take them to the National Law
      Enforcement Memorial, the Navy Memorial, the Mall, the Tidal Basin with
      its monuments, all three branches of our government, and Arlington
      National Cemetery with the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Women in
      Military Service Memorial. The ultra-marathon trail begins at the Purple
      Heart Memorial at the entrance to George Washington’s Mount Vernon and
      walks up the George Washington Memorial Parkway (Mount Vernon Trail
      maintained by the U.S. National Park Service) along paved park trails
      and through the city of Alexandria, Virginia, before it enters Arlington
      Cemetery and joins the shorter trails.
      Other highlights of the trails include the Japanese Cherry Blossom trees
      and the German Peace Garden. The shorter trails are rated 1 which means
      this is an "easy" walk, while the ultra-marathon is flat and rated 3
      four distance..
      Sunday: Walks of 6, 12, 20, and 32 kilometers branch out to the National
      Mall and all three branches of federal government, the Marine Corps
      Memorial, Freedom Park (with pieces of the Berlin Wall and other
      significant symbols of the struggle for freedom), Francis Scott Key
      Memorial, C&O Canal, Rock Creek Park, and Embassy Row. These trails are
      rated 1+ because of hills.
      Both days are primarily on sidewalks with occasional natural surfaces
      and may be difficult for strollers and wheelchairs due to local
      differences in accessibility. Alternate routes are available.
      Registration
      Adults are all walkers 12 years or older
      Category of Walker
      Price after Sep 15
      Adult 3-day package $27
      Youth 3-day (certificate only) $13
      Youth 3-day (with medal) $22
      Adult Saturday and Sunday $21
      Youth Saturday and Sunday (certificate) $7
      Youth Saturday and Sunday (with medal) $16
      All Friday only $6
      Adult Saturday or Sunday $18
      Youth Saturday or Sunday (certificate) $5
      Youth Saturday or Sunday (medal) $14
      Register online or download registration form
      http://www.usfreedomwalk.org

      Subscribe to the Atlantic TRAILMASTER!
      Your BEST source for self-paced, individual and family-friendly Walks in
      the Atlantic Region, which is comprised of the states of Delaware,
      District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and
      West Virginia. Each issue includes an event schedule of all
      sanctioned events, year round/seasonals, health and fitness tips, as
      well as regional, national and international news on walking.
      ========
      Yes, I want to subscribe! Subscription rates for 10 issues a year are
      $25.00 first class mail or $15.00 bulk rate mail.

      Here is my check for $______.

      Please print this email, and complete the following:

      Last Name:_______________________________

      First Name:______________________________

      * In case there are questions about your subscription form.

      Please mail this completed subscription form with your payment to:

      Atlantic TRAILMASTER Subscriptions
      5605 Asbury Court
      Alexandria VA 22312-6302