Upcoming Walks

  • walkingguide
    Message 1 of 117 , Jul 2, 2003
      ===============
      Walk of Life 10-Week Program Starts July 5
      http://walking.about.com/library/day/bldaywalkoflife.htm

      Walking Adventures International: History, Culture, Scenery, and
      Walking...more than just a walking tour! Many volkswalkers have
      already discovered the winning combination of walking and riding the
      rails! SECOND DEPARTURE for "Canada by Train": October 13 - 25,
      2003 13 days. Including 7 IVV sanctioned walks in Vancouver, B.C.,
      Jasper National Park, Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Toronto,
      Montreal, and Halifax. There's still limited space available for you
      to participate in our unique adventure across the vast landscapes of
      Canada. Contact us to receive a free brochure or to register at 1-
      800-779-0353 or fun@... or visit us online at
      http://www.walkingadventures.com Let's choo-choo across Canada
      together!

      Due to popular demand: Sunscreen, Moisturizer, and lip balm
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/arizona.htm
      Great Extreme Walker shirts for summer
      http://pages.prodigy.net/lizmitchell/volksware/extreme.htm
      Life is Good: New designs such as "Trail Mix!"
      http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/life.htm
      =============

      7/12/2003 Walk Event Number : 57684 5/10km
      Start : Oakland Mills Village Center, Robert Oliver Place
      City and State: Columbia MD
      Host Club: Columbia Volksmarch Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5/10km 1+
      Start Point Address: Robert Oliver Place
      Event Description: 10 km with a shorter 5-km option. The trail for
      each event is mostly on sidewalks and road shoulders in quiet
      residential neighborhoods. Wheelchairs and strollers should not have
      difficulty. Walk on the pathway system in Oakland Mills and Owen
      Brown. TR 1+
      Start Times: 7:30am to 9:00am
      Contact: John Dye , (410 ) 313 - 8499
      Event Website: http://www.geocities.com/walkcolumbia/event_0307.htm
      E-Mail Contact: walkcolumbia@...
      Awards and Fees:
      Credit Only $3.00
      Directions:
      From North, South, and East - from I-95 take exit 41 (Route 175)
      west towards Columbia for 4 miles to Thunder Hill Road and turn left.
      Follow Thunder Hill Road to end. Turn right into Oakland Mills
      Village Center. From West - from Route 29, take Exit 20A (Route 175)
      east for to the first traffic light at Thunder Hill Road and turn
      right. Follow Thunder Hill Road to end. Turn right into Oakland Mills
      Village Center.

      July 15, August 19, and September 16, 2003
      Alexandria evening walks
      Join us at our monthly meeting following each of these events.
      Start Point: Charles E. Beatley Jr Central Library, 5005 Duke
      Street, Alexandria, VA 703-519-5900
      Start Times: Start between 4:30PM and 5:30PM. Finish by 8:30PM. (In
      April and September, bring a flashlight, if you plan to walk after
      7:30PM)
      Trail: These evening walks will consist of 10K (6.2 miles) trails
      with shorter 5K (3.1 miles) or 6K (3.8 miles) options along
      residential sidewalks and park trails in central and western
      Alexandria. Trails will explore various neighborhoods, wander beside
      pleasant streams, and mount heights where Union forts protected
      Washington during the War Between the States, The trails are rated 2
      and 2+ with moderate hills. Trails are mostly on pavement, although
      short segments will be on natural surfaces. Trails should be suitable
      for strollers, though wheelchairs may encounter some difficulty.
      Written instructions and maps will be provided for each walk as
      trails will not be marked.
      For more detailed information on each month's trail, please check
      with the contact or check the information bar to the right.
      Award: There is no commemorative award for this event. IVV credit
      only is $3.
      Conditions: Each participant is issued a start card which must be
      carried on the walk and presented for validation at each checkpoint.
      Littering along the trails is prohibited. Only those persons with a
      properly validated start card will be eligible for IVV credit. Each
      trail may be completed twice per start card on the same day at no
      additional cost, provided you complete the trail within the stated
      start/finish times. The event will be held rain or shine; call the
      contact in the event of extreme weather conditions. Pets are allowed
      on the trails and must be leashed and cleaned up after. Restrooms,
      water, and candy will be available at the start point, as well as at
      checkpoints on the trail. It is recommended that water be carried in
      case of extreme weather or personal cases of dehydration.
      Directions: From theSouth or West via I-395: Take Exit 3 (VA-236.Duke
      Street) East-Alexandria. Just past Landmark Center on your left, you
      will pass beneath Van Dorn Street. Continue East on Duke Street for
      about 1/2 mile to the 5th traffic light, North Pickett Street; CVS is
      on the corner. Turn Left at North Pickett and go 1/2 block north past
      the CVS store. Turn Right at the Beatley Library sign to enter the
      parking lot.
      From the East via I-95/I-495 (Washington Beltway): Take Exit 176
      (VA241/Telegraph Road) North - Alexandria. Continue on Telegraph on a
      270 degree ramp around to go West on VA-236/Duke Street. Continue on
      Duke Street for about 2-1/2 miles. Turn Right in the parking lot to
      the Beatley Library soon after you pass the Foxchase Shopping Center
      on your right.
      Points of Contact
      Tom Baerwald 703-765-3128 send email to Tom Marshall Hansen 301-588-
      1913

      7/26/2003 Locust Grove Nature Center in Cabin John Park
      57963 and 57794
      City and State: Bethesda MD
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10K/5K 2
      Start Point Address: Cabin John Park, 7777 Democracy Boulevard,
      Bethesda, Md.
      Event Description: The walk is on dirt park trails with some hills.
      It is not suitable for strollers or wheelchairs.
      Start Times: 7am-10am. Finish by 1pm.
      Contact: Jim Hathaway , (301 ) 229 - 1356
      Event Website: http://www.Sugarloafers.org
      E-Mail Contact: HathawayJD@...
      Awards and Fees: This is a credit only walk. Fee is $3. Free
      walkers are welcome.
      Directions:
      From the Washington Beltway, I-495m take exit 36 (Old Georgetown
      Road, Md 187 North) toward Rockville. Turn Left on Democracy Blvd and
      continue over the I-270 spur and past the Montgomery mall shopping
      center. * Pass Westlake Drive. In the next block, turn R into the
      Cabin John-Locust Grove Nature Center parking lot. From Virginia,
      take the Beltway I-495 to the I-270 spur going toward Rockville. Take
      Exit 1, and stay in the leftmost exit lane to Democracy Blvd. West.
      Continue past Montgomery Mall shopping center. Continue from * in
      previous paragraph. From I-270 Spur South: Exit Democracy Blvd. West
      and continue past Montgomery Mall as stated above.
      Comments:
      A summer walk in the park! Pets are allowed but must be leashed
      at all times during the walk and you must clean up after them.
      Restrooms are available at the Start/ Finish and along the trail.

      Subscribe to the Atlantic TRAILMASTER!
      Your BEST source for self-paced, individual and family-friendly Walks
      in the Atlantic Region, which is comprised of the states of Delaware,
      District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia,
      and West Virginia. Each issue includes an event schedule of all
      sanctioned events, year round/seasonals, health and fitness tips, as
      well as regional, national and international news on walking.
      ========
      Yes, I want to subscribe! Subscription rates for 10 issues a year
      are
      $25.00 first class mail or $15.00 bulk rate mail.

      Here is my check for $______.

      Please print this email, and complete the following:

      Last Name:_______________________________

      First Name:______________________________

      Address:_________________________________

      City:____________________________________

      State:__________________ Zip:___________

      Phone:__________________________________*

      Email:__________________________________*
      * In case there are questions about your subscription form.

      Please mail this completed subscription form with your payment to:

      Atlantic TRAILMASTER Subscriptions
      5605 Asbury Court
      Alexandria VA 22312-6302
    • Wendy Bumgardner
      Message 117 of 117 , Feb 27
        3/21/2015
        City / State: Columbia, MD
        Event Name: Cedar Lane Park
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 101362
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 10K/05K - 2A
        Amenities: Strollers: | Wheelchairs: | Pets: | Restrooms:
        Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
        Start Times: 0800 - 1100
        Location: Cedar Lane Park
        Start Point / Driving Directions: 5081 Cedar Lane
        Columbia, Maryland 21044
        From the West: Take Route 108 East to Harpers Farm Road and make RIGHT.
        Go about 2/3 mile and make LEFT onto Rivendell, which leads directly to
        the park.
        From the East:
        From Rt 100 or I 70 Take Route 29 South to Route 175 West (Little
        Patuxent Pkwy).
        Pass Columbia Mall and Howard Community College.
        At Hospital, turn RIGHT on Cedar Lane to end.
        Turn LEFT on Harpers Farm Road.
        Pass McDonalds and BP gas station,
        and make RIGHT onto Rivendell, which leads directly to the park.
        From the South
        Take I 95 North or Rt 28 North to Rt 32 West.
        Take exit 17 to merge onto Cedar Ln to end.
        Turn LEFT on Harpers Farm Road.
        Pass McDonalds and BP gas station,
        and make RIGHT onto Rivendell, which leads directly to the park.
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: Trail will be on asphalt paths and sidewalks in Villages
        of Columbia
        Host Club: Columbia Volksmarch Club
        Contact: John Dye (410) 290-6510
        Website: www.mdvolks.org/CVC/
        E-Mail Contact: johndye@...
        =======
        Walk the World with Walking Adventures International!
        Offering walking tours on all 7 continents.
        Walk New Mexico with us in 2015 – Featuring walks and activities in the
        Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas.
        Walking Adventures International
        http://www.walkingadventures.com
        Contact us at 800.779.0353 or