Upcoming Walks

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 122 , Feb 15, 2013
      2/23/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: B'More Health Fair
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93204
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5 Km, 10 Km & 14 Km - 1A
      start, carry a start card on the walk, and turn it in upon completing
      the walk. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult during the
      entire walk. All Volkssport participants must sign the disclaimer. A
      parent or guardian must sign a special athletic waiver for children 17
      years old and under before they may participate in a Volkssport event.
      Children under 12 always walk free at Baltimore Walking Club events. The
      event will be held in all reasonable weather conditions. If in doubt,
      contact the persons listed below. Pets are welcome except in the
      Convention Center but must be leashed during the entire walk, and
      cleaned up after according to city regulation.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, must finish by 5:00 PM
      Location: Convention Center
      Start Point / Driving Directions: Registration will be in the Baltimore
      Walking Club booth at the BMoreHealthy Expo directly inside Hall A in
      the Baltimore Convention Center, 1 W Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21201. Use
      the entrance at Pratt and Charles Streets.
      From the north or south on I 95: Take exit 53 to I 395 N, Martin Luther
      King Blvd toward downtown Baltimore. Continue onto S Howard St. Turn R
      on W Pratt St.
      From the north on I 83: Take exit 4 for MD 2 S, St Paul St. Turn R on
      St Paul. Turn R on E Lombard St. Turn L at Hopkins Pl and then make the
      first L onto W Pratt St. Follow the signs to Camden Yards, Oriole
      stadium which is next to the Convention Center.
      From the south – Annapolis or the eastern shore: Take I 97 north to I
      695 west. Go right on the Baltimore Washington Parkway which turns into
      Russell St going north. Turn right on Pratt to the Convention Center.
      Check the B’More Healthy Expo website for information on parking,
      www.bmorehealthyexpo.com.
      The Baltimore area Light Rail has a stop at the Convention Center (in
      front of Camden yards, Oriole stadium). Free parking is available at
      most light rail stops.
      If traveling by Metro use the Charles Center W station on Baltimore St.
      Walk south on Charles to Pratt St. The Convention Center is in front of you.
      For bus routes, light rail and Metro stops, parking and schedules, visit
      www.mta.maryland.gov.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: The walk views the downtown areas of Baltimore through the
      eyes of a walker! It goes through the Inner Harbor and waterfront areas.
      It will pass the unique town houses that comprise Fells Point and
      Federal Hill. It will look at the Oriole stadium and some of the
      downtown museums and commemorative monuments.
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres (410) 592-3171
      Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

      3/2/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: "Du"Burns
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 95392
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 10 K - 1A
      start, carry a start card on the walk, and turn it in upon completing
      the walk. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult during the
      entire walk. All Volkssport participants must sign the disclaimer. A
      parent or guardian must sign a special athletic waiver for children 17
      years old and under before they may participate in a Volkssport event.
      Children under 12 always walk free at Baltimore Walking Club events. The
      events will be held in all reasonable weather conditions. If in doubt,
      contact the persons listed below. Pets are welcome but not inside of the
      Du Burns Arena. Pets must be leashed during the entire walk, and cleaned
      up after according to city regulation.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8 am to 12 pm, finish by 3 pm
      Location: "Du"Burns Arena
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 1301 South Ellwood Avenue
      Baltimore, MD 21224
      From the north or south on I-95 toward Baltimore: Take exit 57
      (Baltimore Travel Plaza exit) to ODonnell-Boston St. If you are coming
      from the south you will need to be in a right lane of the Fort McHenry
      tunnel as Exit 57 is shortly after the toll plaza. At the traffic light
      for Boston Street, turn west toward downtown Baltimore. Drive
      approximately 1 mile on Boston St. to the Du Burns Arena on the right at
      Boston St. and Ellwood Ave. Parking is available at the arena and across
      Boston St. in the park parking lot.
      Directions from the north on I-83 going to downtown Baltimore: I-83
      becomes President St. in the city. Continue on President about 0.5 miles
      to Fleet Street. Turn left onto Fleet for about 1 mile to Boston St.
      Turn right on Boston for about 1 mile to South Ellwood Ave. Parking is
      available at the arena on the left and across Boston St. in the park
      parking lot on the right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Each of the trails will offer a different view of the city,
      harbor, and historic areas. One walk follows a waterfront trail to the
      Inner Harbor area. It tours Little Italy, Fells Point, and the Canton
      business and residential areas on the return. Another goes to Patterson
      Park through the Canton, Highlandtown, and Little Italy communities. All
      walks will have curbs. Strollers and wheelchairs may have difficulty in
      some areas."
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres (410) 592-3171
      Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

      3/2/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: "DuBurns" Arena
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93205
[...]
      From the north or south on I-95 toward Baltimore: Take exit 57
[...]

      3/30/2013
      City / State: Williamsburg, VA
      Event Name: Battle of Williamsburg - Fort Magruder
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 94237
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5/10 km - 1A
      a neighborhood of York and James City Counties. It will go past Fort
      Magruder, the scene of the Civil War battle near Williamsburg.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Civil War Battlefields, Diners, Rainbow Color-Named Places
      Start Times: 9 AM to 10 AM, Finish by 1 PM
      Location: Shorty's Diner
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 627 Merrimac Trail - Take you favorite
      route to I-64 in Williamsburg, VA. Take Exit 242A - Route 199 West
      (Humelsine Parkway) towards Williamsburg. Exit Route 199 at the next
      exit onto Route 143 toward Williamsburg. At the bottom of the ramp, bear
      right onto Route 143 West for approximately 1.2 miles. Turn right at the
      traffic signal just past the Citgo Service Station into the shopping
      center parking lot. The diner is to your left (looks like a Pizza Hut).
      Park towards the back of the diner.
      Awards & Fees: A Award
      Comments: The A-award will be part of the Civil War battlefield series
      that the club is sponsoring during 2013. There is a header patch
      available for this series. This walk will count for the Virginia County
      program, as well as for the AVA Civil War Battlefields special program.
      We will have our meeting and lunch at Shorty's Diner after the walk.
      Restrooms will be available at the start point only and pets will not be
      allowed in the start point.
      Host Club: Virginia Vagabonds
      Contact: Sam Tollett (757) 766-3065
      Website: No Website Listed
      E-Mail Contact: runsbears@...

      4/6/2013
      City / State: Westminster, MD
      Event Name: Westminster Breakfast Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93154
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 10 Km and 5 Km - 1A
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 7 am to 11 am, Finish by 2 pm
      Location: Church of the Ascension
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 23 North Court Street, Westminster, MD
      21157.
      From Baltimore Beltway: I-695, take I-795 (exit 19) to the Westminster
      Pike (exit 9), Rt. 140. Proceed about 12 miles to intersection with Rt.
      97. Continue on Rt.140 past Rt. 97 intersection to the 2nd traffic light
      and turn left on Ralph St. Park at the Courthouse parking lot or in the
      lot to the left behind the cemetery and walk one block to the church.
      Allow about 25 minutes travel time from the Beltway. Enter the Church
      Fellowship Hall through the double red doors in back of the Church. From
      Western Maryland: take I-70 East to Rt. 27 (exit 68) and turn left to
      Westminster. At Main St., turn right, passing Center St. and N. Court
      St. to Ralph St. Turn left on Ralph St and proceed to second parking
      lot, about a block past the church. From the DC area: take Rt. 97
      Georgia Ave. north to Westminster. Turn left on Main St. and turn right
      on Ralph St. and proceed to second parking lot, about a block past the
      church.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: All you can eat breakfast will be available at the Start
      Point. Walkers will receive a $1.00 discount by showing your Start Card.
      Host Club: Piedmont Pacers
      Contact: Jerry Baugher (301) 922-1592
      Website: www.angelfire.com/md2/pacers/index.html
      E-Mail Contact: JGBaugher@...
      =========
      Join our MarylandWalking Facebook Group
      http://www.facebook.com/MarylandWalking

      Follow Me on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/walkoflife70

      ============
      Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm

      Find Virginia Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/virginiawalks.htm
    • Wendy Bumgardner
      Message 122 of 122 , Jul 9 1:48 PM
        ==
        Join us for a walking festival in Europe – featuring the Europiade 2016
        in Kitzbühel, Austria.
        Offering an 11-day trip in May 2016 with walks in four countries:
        Slovenia, Italy, Austria, and Germany.
        We are still accepting $50 deposits to save space!
        Walking Adventures International
        http://www.walkingadventures.com
        Contact us at 800.779.0353 or
        fun@...
        ==

        7/27/2015
        City / State: Alexandria, VA
        Event Name: Alexandria-July Evening Walk
        Event Type: Night Walk
        Event ID: 101755
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5 or 6 KM/10 KM - 1A
        consist of 10-KM (6.2-miles) trails with either a 5-KM (3.1-miles) or
        6-KM (3.8-miles) shorter option each month options along residential
        sidewalks and park trails in Alexandria. Trails will explore various
        neighborhoods, wander beside the Potomac River, and meander up hills
        that overlook Old Town. Trails are mostly on pavement, although short
        segments may be on natural surfaces. Trails should be suitable for
        strollers, although wheelchairs may encounter some difficulty. For more
        detailed information about each month's trail, please check with the
        information contact. Written instructions and maps will be provided for
        each walk. Trails will not be marked.
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: NO | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
        Start Times: 4:30-5:30 PM; Finish by 8:30 PM
        Location: Kate Waller Barrett Branch Library
        Start Point / Driving Directions: 717 Queen Street, Alexandria VA
        22314. Phone: 703-746-1703
        Directions to the Barrett Library in Old Town
        From the East or West via I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway):
        - Take Exit 177B (US-1 North/Alexandria), the first exit west of the
        Wilson Bridge.
        - Continue north on US 1 for about 10 blocks (0.8 miles) to Queen St. (2
        blocks past King St.).
        - Turn RIGHT on Queen St. for 2-1/2 blocks. The Library will be on your
        left.
        From the North via the George Washington Memorial Parkway:
        - Take the GW Parkway into Old Town Alexandria.
        - Continue on what now is called Washington St. for about 8 blocks from
        the first traffic signal at Slater's Lane to Princess St.
        - Turn RIGHT on Princess St. You will be one block north of the library,
        which is on the far side of a large parking lot to your left.
        Parking: You can usually find parking along the streets, especially on
        blocks north and east of the library. Check signs carefully to determine
        how long you can legally park and whether you might be in a zone that
        must be cleared during rush hour. If you choose to park in any
        off-street parking lots other than municipal lots that are distant from
        the library, you may be subject to ticketing and/or towing.
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: ELIGIBILITY: Everyone is welcome to participate. An adult
        must accompany children under 12. Groups are welcome.
        FEES AND AWARD: These events count towards the acquisition of IVV
        Achievement Awards. The fee for IVV Credit is $3.00. There is no fee to
        just walk the trail, but you must register and carry a start card. No
        refunds will be given. There is no commemorative award for these events.
        PROCEDURE: Each participant is issued a start card, which must be
        carried on the walk. Only one start card per person is issued, and it
        must be turned in at the Finish table after completing the event. Only
        those participants with a properly validated start card will be eligible
        for IVV Credit. Each trail may be completed twice per start card on the
        same day at no additional cost, provided you complete the trail within
        the stated start/finish time.
        CONDITIONS: Water is available at the Start/Finish Point, and food and
        drink usually is available along the trail, but you should carry your
        own water on the walk in case of extreme weather or personal cases of
        dehydration. Littering along the trails is prohibited. The events will
        be held rain or shine. Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed at all
        times and cleaned up after by their owner. Dogs are not allowed inside
        the library. Restrooms are available at the library and often at points
        along the trails.
        REMINDER: The American Volkssport Association (AVA), a member of the
        International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV), sanctions these
        events. If you are a participant in the IVV Achievement Program,
        remember your record books. We hope to have IVV event and distance books
        and New Walker Packets for sale.
        DISCLAIMER: Every reasonable effort will be exercised to make these
        events safe, enjoyable and memorable for our participants. The American
        Volkssport Association, its subsidiary clubs, and the Kate Waller
        Barrett Branch Library are not responsible for theft or loss of personal
        belongings or property. All participants must sign a waiver.
        AVA SPECIAL PROGRAMS: We suspect at least some walks may qualify for the
        You'll Never Walk Alone, National Register of Historic Places, Strolling
        Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and/or Honoring Our Flag programs, but we
        can't be sure. Because the satisfaction of walkers is our foremost
        desire, we will stamp any special program book that a walker feels is
        appropriate for the specific event.
        Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club, Inc.
        Contact: Sandra Cahill (571) 405-4808
        Website: www.mdvolks.org/wdcavc/index.htm
        E-Mail Contact: scahill@...

        8/1/2015
        City / State: Columbia, MD
        Event Name: Blandair Park / Oakland Mills
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 101364
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 10K/05K - 2A
        Amenities: Strollers: | Wheelchairs: | Pets: | Restrooms:
        Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
        Start Times: 0730 - 0900
        Location: Blandair Regional Park
        Start Point / Driving Directions: 5750 Oakland Mills Road
        Columbia, MD 21045
        From I-95 Take exit 41 to MD-175 W
        Continue on MD-175 W/Rouse Pkwy.
        Turn left onto Tamar Dr
        Turn right onto Old Montgomery Rd
        Continue onto Oakland Mills Rd
        Destination will be on the left
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: Trails will be on asphalt paths and sidewalks in the
        Columbia Villags of Oakland Mills.
        The trail will use paths and overpass to circle the Lake Kittamaqundi Loop.
        Host Club: Columbia Volksmarch Club
        Contact: John Dye (410) 290-6510
        Website: www.mdvolks.org/CVC/
        E-Mail Contact: johndye@...

        8/22/2015
        City / State: Greenbelt, MD
        Event Name: Memorial Walk for Sir Ralph Edwards
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 101480
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5Km & 10Km - 1A
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: Lakes and Reservoirs, National Register of
        Historic Places, Walking the USA A - Z
        Start Times: Start 7AM - 10AM, Finish by 1PM
        Location: Greenbelt Lake
        Start Point / Driving Directions:
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments:
        Host Club: Great Greenbelt Volksmarchers, Inc.
        Contact: Salva Holloman (301) 937-3549
        Website: No Website Listed
        E-Mail Contact: salva_h@...
        =