Upcoming Walks

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 125 , Feb 15 5:42 AM
      2/23/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: B'More Health Fair
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93204
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5 Km, 10 Km & 14 Km - 1A
      start, carry a start card on the walk, and turn it in upon completing
      the walk. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult during the
      entire walk. All Volkssport participants must sign the disclaimer. A
      parent or guardian must sign a special athletic waiver for children 17
      years old and under before they may participate in a Volkssport event.
      Children under 12 always walk free at Baltimore Walking Club events. The
      event will be held in all reasonable weather conditions. If in doubt,
      contact the persons listed below. Pets are welcome except in the
      Convention Center but must be leashed during the entire walk, and
      cleaned up after according to city regulation.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, must finish by 5:00 PM
      Location: Convention Center
      Start Point / Driving Directions: Registration will be in the Baltimore
      Walking Club booth at the BMoreHealthy Expo directly inside Hall A in
      the Baltimore Convention Center, 1 W Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21201. Use
      the entrance at Pratt and Charles Streets.
      From the north or south on I 95: Take exit 53 to I 395 N, Martin Luther
      King Blvd toward downtown Baltimore. Continue onto S Howard St. Turn R
      on W Pratt St.
      From the north on I 83: Take exit 4 for MD 2 S, St Paul St. Turn R on
      St Paul. Turn R on E Lombard St. Turn L at Hopkins Pl and then make the
      first L onto W Pratt St. Follow the signs to Camden Yards, Oriole
      stadium which is next to the Convention Center.
      From the south – Annapolis or the eastern shore: Take I 97 north to I
      695 west. Go right on the Baltimore Washington Parkway which turns into
      Russell St going north. Turn right on Pratt to the Convention Center.
      Check the B’More Healthy Expo website for information on parking,
      www.bmorehealthyexpo.com.
      The Baltimore area Light Rail has a stop at the Convention Center (in
      front of Camden yards, Oriole stadium). Free parking is available at
      most light rail stops.
      If traveling by Metro use the Charles Center W station on Baltimore St.
      Walk south on Charles to Pratt St. The Convention Center is in front of you.
      For bus routes, light rail and Metro stops, parking and schedules, visit
      www.mta.maryland.gov.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: The walk views the downtown areas of Baltimore through the
      eyes of a walker! It goes through the Inner Harbor and waterfront areas.
      It will pass the unique town houses that comprise Fells Point and
      Federal Hill. It will look at the Oriole stadium and some of the
      downtown museums and commemorative monuments.
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres (410) 592-3171
      Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

      3/2/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: "Du"Burns
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 95392
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 10 K - 1A
      start, carry a start card on the walk, and turn it in upon completing
      the walk. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult during the
      entire walk. All Volkssport participants must sign the disclaimer. A
      parent or guardian must sign a special athletic waiver for children 17
      years old and under before they may participate in a Volkssport event.
      Children under 12 always walk free at Baltimore Walking Club events. The
      events will be held in all reasonable weather conditions. If in doubt,
      contact the persons listed below. Pets are welcome but not inside of the
      Du Burns Arena. Pets must be leashed during the entire walk, and cleaned
      up after according to city regulation.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8 am to 12 pm, finish by 3 pm
      Location: "Du"Burns Arena
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 1301 South Ellwood Avenue
      Baltimore, MD 21224
      From the north or south on I-95 toward Baltimore: Take exit 57
      (Baltimore Travel Plaza exit) to ODonnell-Boston St. If you are coming
      from the south you will need to be in a right lane of the Fort McHenry
      tunnel as Exit 57 is shortly after the toll plaza. At the traffic light
      for Boston Street, turn west toward downtown Baltimore. Drive
      approximately 1 mile on Boston St. to the Du Burns Arena on the right at
      Boston St. and Ellwood Ave. Parking is available at the arena and across
      Boston St. in the park parking lot.
      Directions from the north on I-83 going to downtown Baltimore: I-83
      becomes President St. in the city. Continue on President about 0.5 miles
      to Fleet Street. Turn left onto Fleet for about 1 mile to Boston St.
      Turn right on Boston for about 1 mile to South Ellwood Ave. Parking is
      available at the arena on the left and across Boston St. in the park
      parking lot on the right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Each of the trails will offer a different view of the city,
      harbor, and historic areas. One walk follows a waterfront trail to the
      Inner Harbor area. It tours Little Italy, Fells Point, and the Canton
      business and residential areas on the return. Another goes to Patterson
      Park through the Canton, Highlandtown, and Little Italy communities. All
      walks will have curbs. Strollers and wheelchairs may have difficulty in
      some areas."
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres (410) 592-3171
      Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

      3/2/2013
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      Event Name: "DuBurns" Arena
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93205
[...]
      From the north or south on I-95 toward Baltimore: Take exit 57
[...]

      3/30/2013
      City / State: Williamsburg, VA
      Event Name: Battle of Williamsburg - Fort Magruder
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 94237
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5/10 km - 1A
      a neighborhood of York and James City Counties. It will go past Fort
      Magruder, the scene of the Civil War battle near Williamsburg.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Civil War Battlefields, Diners, Rainbow Color-Named Places
      Start Times: 9 AM to 10 AM, Finish by 1 PM
      Location: Shorty's Diner
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 627 Merrimac Trail - Take you favorite
      route to I-64 in Williamsburg, VA. Take Exit 242A - Route 199 West
      (Humelsine Parkway) towards Williamsburg. Exit Route 199 at the next
      exit onto Route 143 toward Williamsburg. At the bottom of the ramp, bear
      right onto Route 143 West for approximately 1.2 miles. Turn right at the
      traffic signal just past the Citgo Service Station into the shopping
      center parking lot. The diner is to your left (looks like a Pizza Hut).
      Park towards the back of the diner.
      Awards & Fees: A Award
      Comments: The A-award will be part of the Civil War battlefield series
      that the club is sponsoring during 2013. There is a header patch
      available for this series. This walk will count for the Virginia County
      program, as well as for the AVA Civil War Battlefields special program.
      We will have our meeting and lunch at Shorty's Diner after the walk.
      Restrooms will be available at the start point only and pets will not be
      allowed in the start point.
      Host Club: Virginia Vagabonds
      Contact: Sam Tollett (757) 766-3065
      Website: No Website Listed
      E-Mail Contact: runsbears@...

      4/6/2013
      City / State: Westminster, MD
      Event Name: Westminster Breakfast Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 93154
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 10 Km and 5 Km - 1A
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 7 am to 11 am, Finish by 2 pm
      Location: Church of the Ascension
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 23 North Court Street, Westminster, MD
      21157.
      From Baltimore Beltway: I-695, take I-795 (exit 19) to the Westminster
      Pike (exit 9), Rt. 140. Proceed about 12 miles to intersection with Rt.
      97. Continue on Rt.140 past Rt. 97 intersection to the 2nd traffic light
      and turn left on Ralph St. Park at the Courthouse parking lot or in the
      lot to the left behind the cemetery and walk one block to the church.
      Allow about 25 minutes travel time from the Beltway. Enter the Church
      Fellowship Hall through the double red doors in back of the Church. From
      Western Maryland: take I-70 East to Rt. 27 (exit 68) and turn left to
      Westminster. At Main St., turn right, passing Center St. and N. Court
      St. to Ralph St. Turn left on Ralph St and proceed to second parking
      lot, about a block past the church. From the DC area: take Rt. 97
      Georgia Ave. north to Westminster. Turn left on Main St. and turn right
      on Ralph St. and proceed to second parking lot, about a block past the
      church.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: All you can eat breakfast will be available at the Start
      Point. Walkers will receive a $1.00 discount by showing your Start Card.
      Host Club: Piedmont Pacers
      Contact: Jerry Baugher (301) 922-1592
      Website: www.angelfire.com/md2/pacers/index.html
      E-Mail Contact: JGBaugher@...
      =========
      Join our MarylandWalking Facebook Group
      http://www.facebook.com/MarylandWalking

      Follow Me on Twitter
      http://twitter.com/walkoflife70

      ============
      Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm

      Find Virginia Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/virginiawalks.htm
    • Wendy Bumgardner
      Message 125 of 125 , Jan 8
        ==
        Walk Northern Spain & the Camino de Santiago in 2016!
        Now Offering a SPAIN SPECIAL – Receive a $300-$500 Discount! Check out
        our website for details.
        Now is a great time to begin planning your travels through breathtaking
        Pyrenees panoramas, among charming Basque villages, and along the
        medieval Way of St. James! Be prepared to get off the coach with us and
        experience a walking program that will open your eyes to a side of
        Northern Spain few travelers experience.
        This tour is offered in 2 Parts.
        Part 1 - Barcelona, Andorra & the Spanish Pyrenees: Starting in charming
        Barcelona, we walk the principality of Andorra, experiencing dramatic
        mountain scenery and the remote enclaves of the Pyrenees en route to
        Basque country in San Sebastian.
        Part 2 - Northern Spain & the Camino de Santiago: From San Sebastian, we
        explore Basque France, then turn west to follow the famed Way of Saint
        James (El Camino de Santiago) to Santiago de Compostela.
        Walking Adventures International
        http://www.walkingadventures.com
        Contact us at 800.779.0353 or
        fun@...
        ==
        1/16/2016
        City / State: Cabin John, MD
        Event Name: Winter Wonderland Canal Walk
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 101689
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5km/10km - 1B
        Send $3.00 check, payable to SVSVC, to: Carolyn Thurber, 17616 Mill
        Creek Dr., Derwood, MD 20855-1015. Write "C & O" and your phone number
        on the check. Please mail check early enough to be received by Tues,
        Jan. 12, 2016. There are 10 km and 5 km trails. Its an easy out and back
        walk on the C & O Canal towpath, going upstream from Carderock to the
        Widewater area, to Locks # 15 & # 16, and to beginning of Great Falls
        overlook trail. An optional 1 km trail will take you out to Olmsted
        Island to view the Great Falls of the Potomac River. Relatively flat
        natural surfaces. Suitable for strollers, but not for wheelchairs.
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: NO | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: Boardwalks, Bridges - Spanning the USA, National
        Parks Centennial Challenge, National Register of Historic Places, You'll
        Never Walk Alone
        Start Times: 10am 11am Must finish the walk by 2pm
        Location: C&O Canal Towpath at Carderock
        Start Point / Driving Directions: The THIRD parking area at
        Carderock Recreation Area at C&O Canal Towpath, Cabin John, MD. Follow
        signs in park.

        DIRECTIONS TO START POINT
        FROM MARYLAND AND WASHINGTON, DC:
        From I-495 (Capital Beltway outer loop going southwest toward Virginia)
        take Exit 41 in Maryland (Carderock, Great Falls). You will be going
        west on Clara Barton Parkway. Proceed about .8 mile to Carderock exit on
        RIGHT. * Go up ramp. Turn LEFT to cross over the Parkway and follow
        signs ahead for Carderock. After driving through a short tunnel to stop
        sign, turn RIGHT and go .4 mile to the THIRD parking lot, our starting
        point. GPS coordinates are: 38.976280, -77.205389.

        FROM VIRGINIA:
        From I-495 (Capital Beltway inner loop going northeast toward
        Maryland), immediately after crossing American Legion Bridge over
        Potomac River (use RIGHT lane on bridge), take Exit 41 (Clara Barton
        Parkway, Carderock). Use LEFT lane as exit ramp splits, to go to
        Carderock on Clara Barton Parkway. Proceed about 1 mile to Carderock
        exit on RIGHT. Continue as above *.

        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: Special Programs: Boardwalks (on optional 1 km trail),
        Bridges, National Parks Centennial, National Register of Historic
        Places, and Youll Never Walk Alone.

        WATER WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE EXCEPT IN THE RESTROOMS AT THE START POINT.
        Trail instructions will be available. Pets are allowed in the park, but
        must be leashed at all times during the walk. Restrooms are available at
        the start/finish. This walk will be held, unless conditions cause the
        sponsor to close the trail for safety reasons. If in doubt, call Jone
        Parr at 301-385-0054 - cell

        PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR IVV CREDIT. Prepaid registrants who do
        not participate will forfeit the fee. No cash or checks will be accepted
        at this event. We can not sell record books in the park, but we will
        have insert cards available.
        Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
        Contact: Jone Parr (301) 385-0054
        Website: www.sugarloafers.org
        E-Mail Contact: jone.p@...
        ==
        Join our MarylandWalking Facebook Group
        http://www.facebook.com/MarylandWalking
        Follow Me on Twitter
        http://twitter.com/walkoflife70
        ==
        3/5/2016
        City / State: Baltimore, MD, MD
        Event Name: Downtown Baltimore Walk: Patterson Park to Little Italy
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 104382
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5k. 10k & 1k extra option - 1A
        Highlandtown, and Little Italy communities.
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: Cities in Song, Honoring Our Flag, Points of
        Reference, Take a Walk In a City Park, Vice Presidential Walks, Walking
        America's Ports of Call
        Start Times: 8 AM to 12 PM. Complete the walk by 3 PM.
        Location: Safeway, 2610 Boston Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
        Start Point / Driving Directions: From I-95, take Exit 57 to
        O'Donnell - Boston St. If you are coming from the south you will need to
        be in a right lane of the Fort McHenry tunnel as Exit 57 is shortly
        after the toll plaza. At the traffic light for Boston St, turn west
        toward downtown Baltimore. Drive just over 1 mile on Boston St to the
        Safeway on the right. Parking is available in the Safeway lot.
        Directions from the north on I-83 going to downtown Baltimore: I-83
        becomes President St in the city. Continue on President St about 1/2
        mile to Fleet St. Turn left onto Fleet St for about 1 mile to Boston St.
        Turn right on Boston St. for less than 1 mile to Safeway on left.
        Parking is available in the Safeway lot.
        Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
        Comments: The walk goes through Patterson Park and the Canton,
        Highlandtown, and Little Italy communities. Strollers and wheelchairs
        may have difficulties in some areas. The 10k trail has an extra 1k option.
        Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
        Contact: Frank & Marie Kupres (410) 592-3171
        Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
        E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

        3/5/2016
        City / State: Baltimore, MD, MD
        Event Name: Downtown Baltimore: Along the Waterfront to the Inner Harbor
        Event Type: Walk
        Event ID: 104381
        Distance - Trail Ratings: 5k & 10k - 1A
        area. It tours Little Italy, Fells Point, and the Canton business and
        residential areas on the return.
        Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
        Restrooms: Yes
        Special Programs: Bridges - Spanning the USA, Cities in Song,
        Honoring Our Flag, Points of Reference, Vice Presidential Walks, Walking
[...]
        Comments: The walk follows a waterfront trail to the Inner Harbor
        area. It tours Little Italy, Fells Point, and the Canton business and
        residential areas on the return. Strollers and wheelchairs may have
        difficulty in some areas.