Walk Saturday 10/06/12 Potomac, MD

  • Bob Schmick
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2012
      Car pool will leave the Melting Pot at 8 AM. This is a walk on the C & O
      Canal. I will be on a Civil War trip and will see you next week at the
      College Park Airport.

      Bob

      Dates:

      10/6/2012 - 10/6/2012

      City / State:

      Potomac, MD

      Event Name:

      Gold Mine/Great Falls C&O Towpath

      Event Type:

      Walk

      Event ID:

      92630

      Distance - Trail Ratings:

      5km/10km - 1B

      ALL Walkers must register for our walk at the VFW Post 5633. 11km Gold Mine
      woods trail at the VFW Post 5633...Rated 1C. 10km/5km Great Falls C&O
      Towpath trails drive to the Great Falls National Park, MD parking
      lot...Rated 1B. There is a $5.00 fee per car to enter the Park or use a
      National Park Pass. The 11km trail has natural surface sections with roots
      and rocks mostly in shaded areas through woods passing the abandoned gold
      mine and views of the Potomac River and C&O Canal towpath. All trails use
      the towpath, a hard natural surface, and go to the observation deck at Great
      Falls and out to Olmsted Island to view the falls. Only the 10km & 5km walks
      are suitable for wheelchairs or strollers.

      Amenities:

      Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes

      Special Programs:

      Walking America's Trails

      Start Times:

      8 am12 noon; finish by 4 pm

      Location:

      VFW, 11511 MacArthur Blvd

      Start Point / Driving Directions:

      VFW Post 5633, 11511 MacArthur Blvd., Potomac, MD 20854, which is the road
      leading to the Great Falls National Park in Maryland. FROM I-495 Capital
      Beltway: EXIT 41 toward Carderock/Great Falls
      Merge onto Clara Barton Parkway toward Carderock/Great Falls. LEFT at STOP
      SIGN on MacArthur Blvd.
      Continue for several miles on MacArthur Blvdgoing toward Great Falls Park.
      VFW Post 5663 is on the RIGHT .BEFORE reaching the Great Falls Park
      FROM I-270
      EXIT 5 Falls Rd/ MD-189S towards Potomac; CONTINUE on Falls Road ~6miles
      until it intersects with MacArthur Blvd at a STOP SIGN.
      RIGHT onto MacArthur Blvd and continue .3miles to VFW Post 5663 on the
      RIGHT.

      Awards & Fees:

      IVV Credit Only

      Comments:

      Conditions: Restrooms are available in the Great Falls National Park,
      port-a-johns at the VFW and Old Anglers Inn area. Pets are allowed, but must
      be leashed at all times during the walk. This walk will be held regardless
      of the weather, unless conditions cause the sponsors to close the trails for
      safety reasons. Water and candy will be available at the Start Points, VFW
      and Great Falls Parking area.

      Host Club:

      Seneca Valley Sugarloafers

      Contact: