Walk Saturday 11/05/11 Elkridge, MD

  • Bob Schmick
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2011
      This week the group will travel to one of Baltimore's Great Parks. The
      Swinging Bridge is something to see. The car pool will leave Tam Joines at
      8:00 AM. We will eat lunch after the walk.

      Bob

      Dates:

      11/5/2011 - 11/5/2011

      City / State:

      Elkridge, MD

      Event Name:

      Patapsco Valley State Park - Orange Grove/Avalon/Glen Artney

      Event Type:

      Walk

      Event ID:

      89969

      Distance - Trail Ratings:

      06km/07km/10km/11km/17km - 1

      There is only one event with trail choices. All trails include the swinging
      bridge. The basic 06 km trails is on hard surface road and the Grist Mill
      Trail along the Patapsco River (Trail Rating 1). The 4-km trail extension
      will continue on the Grist Mill Trail (Trail Rating 1). The basic 07km trail
      is on natural surfaces up to the ridge and back down (Trail Rating 3).

      Amenities:

      Strollers: | Wheelchairs: | Pets: | Restrooms:

      Special Classifications:

      Walking America's Trails

      Start Times:

      8:00 - 12:00

      Location:

      Patapsco Valley State Park - Orange Grove

      Start Point / Driving Directions:

      5120 South Street
      Baltimore MD 21227

      Directions

      Avalon/Glen Artney/Orange Grove/Lost Lake Areas - From the Beltway (I-695)
      take Rt. 1 ( Exit 12-A) toward Elkridge. Follow Rt. 1 South about 3 miles to
      South St. Turn right. Park entrance is on the left.

      From I-95 take I-195 to Rt. 1 (Exit 3) toward Elkridge to South St. Turn
      right. Park entrance is on the left.

      From Howard County follow Rt. 1 through Elkridge and into Baltimore County.
      Turn left on South St. Park entrance is on the left.

      Once in Park, Proceed 1.2 miles through guard shed to road T.
      Turn Left and go 2 miles on Gun and River Rd. to end of road just past
      swinging bridge.

      Awards & Fees:

      IVV Credit Only

      Comments:

      This area is within the southern end of Patapsco Valley State Park. The
      primary entrance is located off of South Street in Baltimore County.

      Avalon, once home of the Avalon Nail and Iron Works, has only a few remains
      of the bustling mill town that once dotted the shores of the Patapsco River.
      Today, this section of the park has large picnic shelters, playgrounds, and
      access to trails that travel through the river valley as well as up and out
      of the valley. The Avalon Visitor center is also found in this section of
      the park - open on weekends April - October this small visitor center is
      housed in one of the only remaining structures from the village that
      supported the Avalon Iron works. You travel through Avalon to reach the
      Orange Grove area.
      http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/patapscoavalon.asp

      Host Club:

      Columbia Volksmarch Club