Holiday Walks

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2000
      When the Shoe Doesn't Fit - what to do when you have hard-to-fit feet
      http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa120600a.htm

      Fines for Walking Too Slow?
      http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa112400c.htm

      Volks-Ware - great gifts for walkers http://www.webwalking.com/volksware
      -------
      Williamsburg, Virginia
      DECEMBER 8-9, 2000 Evening Walk, Dec. 9-10 Day Walk
      CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN WILLIAMSBURG
      AT2000/0422
      City, State, Country: WILLIAMSBURG, VA
      Host Club: Peninsula Pathfinders
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 KM - Rated 1
      Start place address: Ramada Inn Historic, 500 Merrimac Trail,
      Williamsburg, VA
      Start times: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, finish by 9:00 pm
      Event description: The night trail is primarily along city streets in
      the Colonial Williamsburg area.
      Award and fees: Award - patch - $5 preregister, $6 at event; credit only
      - $2; anyone can walk for free
      Directions: From Richmond and Points North, take I-64 East to Exit 238,
      Williamsburg, VA Rt. 143. At the top of the ramp, turn right onto VA
      Rt.143 East. Follow VA Rt. 143 and turn left at the 3rd traffic light
      (about 2.3 miles from the sict). Go 1 block and turn right into the
      Ramada Inn Historic parking lot.
      >From Hampton and Norfolk, take I-64 West to Exit 242A, Williamsburg, VA
      Rt. 199 West. Drive about .8 miles and exit right onto VA Rt. 143 West.
      At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto VA Rt. 143 West. After the
      2nd stoplight (about 1.5 miles), turn left into the Ramada Inn Historic
      parking lot.
      Contact: Shirley Boyd - 757-722-5637 or Annette Tollett - 757-766-3065
      Email contact: boydp@... or ahtollett@...
      Comments: Special motel rates - $48 for 1 or 2, $55 for 3 or 4. Call
      1-800-666-8888 to reserve by November 8, 2000.
      Only a limited number of awards will be ordered and there will be no
      reorder. Preregister at Peninsula Pathfinders, 3 Delmont Court, Hampton,
      VA 23666.
      There are about 19 year round events in the area, including walks,
      bikes, and a swim.
      Williamsburg has many special activities going on during the holiday
      season. Call 1-800-HISTORY for information.

      CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS OF COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG AT2000/0423
      DECEMBER 9-10, 2000
      City, State, Country: WILLIAMSBURG, VA
      Host Club: Peninsula Pathfinders
      Distance and Trail Rating: 11 KM - Rated 2
      Start place address: Ramada Inn Historic, 500 Merrimac Trail,
      Williamsburg, VA
      Start times: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, finish by 4:00 pm
      Event description: The day trail will be primarily along a nature trail
      and city streets in the Colonial Williamsburg area.
      Award and fees: Award - wooden block cutout of the Market Street Tavern
      at Colonial Williamsburg - $9 preregister, $10 at event; credit only -
      $2; anyone can walk for free
      Directions: From Richmond and Points North, take I-64 East to Exit 238,
      Williamsburg, VA Rt. 143. At the top of the ramp, turn right onto VA Rt.
      143 East. Follow VA Rt. 143 and turn left at the 3rd traffic light
      (about 2.3 miles from the sict). Go 1 block and turn right into the
      Ramada Inn Historic parking lot.
      >From Hampton and Norfolk, take I-64 West to Exit 242A, Williamsburg, VA
      Rt. 199 West. Drive about .8 miles and exit right onto VA Rt. 143 West.
      At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto VA Rt. 143 West. After the
      2nd stoplight (about 1.5 miles), turn left into the Ramada Inn Historic
      parking lot.
      Contact: Shirley Boyd - 757-722-5637 or Annette Tollett - 757-766-3065
      Email contact: boydp@... or ahtollett@...
      Comments: Special motel rates - $48 for 1 or 2, $55 for 3 or 4. Call
      1-800-666-8888 to reserve by November 8, 2000.
      Only a limited number of awards will be ordered and there will be no
      reorder. Preregister at Peninsula Pathfinders, 3 Delmont Court, Hampton,
      VA 23666.
      There are about 19 year round events in the area, including walks,
      bikes, and a swim.
      Williamsburg has many special activities going on during the holiday
      season. Call 1-800-HISTORY for information.

      12/11/2000 - NIGHT WALK
      Event Number: AT2000/0369
      Start: OWEN BROWN, COLUMBIA, 10KM
      Host Club: COLUMBIA VOLKSMARCH CLUB
      Write for more information to:
      3780 COLLEGE AVENUE
      ELLICOTT CITY, MD 21043-4662
      Contact: JOHN DYE 410-313-8499

      CHESAPEAKE BAY COUNTRY WANDERERS Two 10 KM (6.2 MILES) Walks
      Day Walk: 16 December 2000 (Register between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm)
      Night Walk: 15/16 December 2000 (Register between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm)
      Glen Burnie, Maryland, Anne Arundel County Credit Events AT00/343 and
      AT00/344
      A New Balance Supported Event
      Sponsor: Chesapeake Bay Country Wanderers, Inc. (AVA 616) A member of
      the Maryland Volkssport Association in association with the True
      Tabernacle Christian Center
      Sanctioned by:The American Volkssport Association (AVA) and the
      International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV)
      Dates: 15 and 16 December 2000 (Friday and Saturday)
      Start/Finish Times: NIGHT WALK: Register between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm on
      either day; finish by 8:00 pm (bring a
      flashlight). DAY WALK: Register between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm on Saturday
      only; finish by 4:00 pm.
      Start Location: 216 Crain Highway, Glen Burnie. The True Tabernacle
      Christian Center is on the third floor. Park in the FREE garage on B&A
      Blvd. See map on back of brochure.
      Distances: The day and night events are separate 10 km (6.2 miles)
      trails. There is only one optional 6 km (3.7 miles) trail. Walk, jog, or
      run one or all of the trails at your own pace.
      Trail Ratings/Descriptions: All three trails are rated 1+. They are over
      paved paths in older sections of Glen Burnie, including the newly
      opened, renovated downtown area. Strollers will have little trouble on
      the trails, but there are not cut-outs at every crossing for
      wheelchairs.
      Eligibility: Everyone is urged to participate in volkswalks to the best
      of their ability, and to the limits imposed by the trail. Children under
      12 must be accompanied by an adult.
      Registration/Start Card: AVA policy requires that all participants sign
      a waiver form and carry a Start Card while on the trail. Obtain your
      card at the Start Location. The card is turned in at the Finish Table
      whether or not you complete the event and whether you walk for free or
      credit.
      Fees: There is no fee to walk the trail unless you want to earn AVA/IVV
      credit and/or award. The fee for Credit Only is $2.00. There is no
      pre-registration for this event. You may complete the same trail for a
      second time on the same day for distance credit at no additional fee.
      Award: There is no special award for this event. But items such as a
      hatpin based on a holiday light bulb will be available for purchase at
      the Sales Table.
      IVV/AVA Books: Participants for IVV/AVA credit are reminded to bring
      their IVV Record Books. New books will be
      available for purchase at $5.00 each at the Sales Table.
      Refreshments: The church will offer food and drink for your enjoyment.
      Please patronize their sales table. (They may also offer the opportunity
      to participate in caroling.)
      Conditions: The event will be conducted except in unreasonable and
      dangerous weather conditions. Please, no littering along the trail. Pets
      must be leashed and cleaned up after. NO PETS inside the Start Point.
      Disclaimer: The sponsor of these volkswalks and The True Tabernacle
      Christian Center can not be held responsible for any lost or stolen
      items, nor any accidents or injuries. Every reasonable effort will be
      made to make this event safe and enjoyable for all.
      ALERT: Starting with its events in 2001, CBCW will no longer be able to
      subsidize free walkers. We regret this, but financial necessity brought
      on by rising costs and declining participation requires that we adopt
      the policy of imposing fees on every participant in our events.
      Therefore, we will adopt the policy of requiring all walkers and bikers
      over the age of 12 to pay a minimum fee of $1.00. This fee does not
      include IVV/AVA credit stamps. If a fee is not paid, then the walker or
      biker may not walk or ride our designated trail as an IVV/AVA
      participant. The fee for IVV/AVA credit will remain $2.00.
      Reminders: Bring a flashlight for the night walk
      Bring the kids and grandparents
      If you are a new walker, first ask for our Information Table
      Rest rooms are available at the Start/Finish Point, and possibly
      along the trail.
      Pets must be leashed and cleaned up after
      Weather can affect trail conditions
      Our Sales Table will have volkssport items that can make excellent
      stocking stuffers and holiday gifts.
      Contact for additional information: Santa, Ron or Fran Looper at (410)
      969-8661 (rflooper@...)
      Directions to Start/Finish
      Parking: Park in the FREE multi-story lot off B&A Blvd and walk to the
      Start Point - the distance is included in the trail. Exit the garage by
      the front door, turn left on B&A Blvd to its intersection with Crain
      Highway. Cross Crain Highway, turn right and cross B&A Blvd. Continue on
      the left side of Crain to the Start Point.
      >From the West and North: Take Rt 95 or BW Parkway to Rt 100 or Rt 32
      east. Take Rt 100 or 32 to Rt 97 North. **From Rt 97 take the Dorsey
      Road (Rt 176) exit towards Glen Burnie. From Dorsey Road, turn right
      onto B&A Blvd (Rt 648) and follow it across Crain Highway to the Parking
      Garage entrance.
      >From the South: Take Rt 50 to Rt 3 North and follow it to its merge with
      Rt 97. Follow from ** above.
      >From the East: Take Rt 2 (Ritchie Highway) to its intersection with B&A
      Blvd in Glen Burnie. Turn left onto B&A Blvd, then left into the Parking
      Garage.

      Christmas at Union Station National Heritage Event
      Event No. AT 2000/0037
      Date(s): Saturday, December 16, 2000
      City, State: Washington, DC
      Host Club: Virginia Volkssport Association
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km; Rated 1+. There will be an alternative
      trail available for those wishing to do a shorter walk.
      Start place address: Union Station, 40 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E.,
      Washington, DC. West end of main concourse near METRO entrance.
      Start times: Between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Event description: Trail is moderately easy, on city sidewalks with no
      significant hills. Suitable for wheelchairs, strollers, and wagons.
      Trail takes you through the Monument and Mall area dressed in its
      Holiday Finery.
      Award and fees: There is no fee for those who wish to participate. The
      pre-registration fee for award and IVV credit is $5.00. The first 100
      participants to pre-register will receive a 4-1/2 x 3-1/2, 100%
      embroidered patch depicting Santa on the Caboose with a Lantern. The fee
      for award and credit for those
      registering late and on the day of the event is $6.00. Awards from
      previous Union Station events will be available for $4.00. Mail
      pre-registration by December 10, 2000 to: VVA, 14402 William Carr Lane,
      Centreville, VA 20120-2813
      Directions: From the North: From the Beltway (I-495/95) take the
      Baltimore-Washington Parkway/New York Avenue
      south to N. Capitol Street. Turn left on N. Capitol Street to H Street.
      Turn left on H Street and travel one block to the Union Station parking
      garage.
      >From the South: Take I-395 north crossing the 14th Street Bridge. Turn
      right onto Constitution Avenue. Turn left onto Louisiana Avenue.
      Entrance to Union Station parking garage is on the right side of the
      building.
      Parking: Parking is available in the Union Station parking garage. The
      first two hours are free with validation obtained from the Main Hall
      Information Desk. Parking is also available on the street.
      Via METRO: Union Station is located on the Red Line.
      Contact: Nancy or Fred @ (703) 631-8512
      Email contact: walkvirginia@...
      Comments: Pets are NOT allowed inside Union Station. While on the trail,
      pets must be leashed. Restrooms and water are available on the trail in
      museums and public buildings. Recommend participants carry water. Union
      Station has a wide choice of restaurants and fast-food services in the
      lower level. The event will be held regardless of most weather
      conditions. If in doubt, call (703) 631-8512
      More details: http://www.walkvirginia.com/UnionStationDay.htm

      Guided Christmas Night Walk at Union Station National Heritage Event
      Event No: AT 2000/0038
      Date(s): Saturday, December 16, 2000
      City, State: Washington, DC
      Host Club: Virginia Volkssport Association
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km; Rated 1+.
      Start place address: Union Station, 40 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E.,
      Washington, DC. West end of main concourse near METRO entrance.
      Start times: Registration is between 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
      There will be three groups. First guided group[Fast Group] will depart
      at 5:05 p.m. Second guided group [Medium Group] will depart at 5:10 p.m.
      Third group [Slow Group] will depart at 5:15 p.m.
      Event description: Trail is moderately easy, on city sidewalks with no
      significant hills. Suitable for wheelchairs, strollers, and wagons.
      Trail takes you through the Monument and Mall area dressed in its
      Holiday Finery. Highlights will be the Capitol, Canadian Embassy and
      White House Christmas trees. Award and fees: There is no fee for those
      who wish to participate. This is a credit only event. Credit only is
      $2.00.
      Fees: There is no fee for those who wish to participate. The fee for
      credit only is $2.00.
      Directions: From the North: From the Beltway (I-495/95) take the
      Baltimore-Washington Parkway/New York Avenue
      south to N. Capitol Street. Turn left on N. Capitol Street to H Street.
      Turn left on H Street and travel one block to the Union Station parking
      garage.
      >From the South: Take I-395 north crossing the 14th Street Bridge. Turn
      right onto Constitution Avenue. Turn left onto Louisiana Avenue.
      Entrance to Union Station parking garage is on the right side of the
      building.
      Parking: Parking is available in the Union Station parking garage. The
      first two hours are free with validation obtained from the Main Hall
      Information Desk. Parking is also available on the street.
      Via METRO: Union Station is located on the Red Line.
      Contact: Nancy or Fred @ (703) 631-8512
      Email contact: walkvirginia@...
      Comments: Pets are NOT allowed inside Union Station. While on the trail,
      pets must be leashed. Restrooms and water are available on the trail in
      museums and public buildings. Recommend participants carry water. Union
      Station has a wide choice of restaurants and fast-food services in the
      lower level. The event will be held regardless of most weather
      conditions. If in doubt, call (703) 631-8512.

      December 17, 2000 Fairfax, Virginia
      Event Number: AT2000/0467
      Start Point: China Gourmet Restaurant, 9901 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA
      Start Time: Between 2 and 3 PM. Finish by 6 PM
      Trail: The trail will be on paved trails and sidewalks, highlighting the
      holiday decorations of Old Town Fairfax and surrounding neighborhoods.
      Award: There is no commemorative award for this event.
      Contact:Barry or Karen Plott 703-352-5135
      Directions: Location Map From the North, South and East: Take the
      Washington Beltway to Exit 50A (old
      number 8), Route 50W/Arlington Blvd towards Fairfax. Proceed
      approximately 3-1/2 miles (through Fairfax
      Circle, where Arlington Blvd becomes Lee Highway) to Rebel Run. Make a
      U-turn at Rebel Run to backtrack 1/2
      block to restaurant.
      >From the West: Take Route 50E to Fairfax. Continue on Route 50E
      approximately 2 miles after it turns left to
      merge with Route 29 and becomes Lee Highway. Restaurant is 1/2 block
      past Rebel Run on your right.
      Holiday Party: Everyone is invited to the Northern Virginia
      Volksmarchers Holiday Party immediately following
      the walk. More information on menu selections will be available at our
      October event.
      Web page with map link: http://www.pollow.com/nvvc/weekend.html#holiday

      12/31/00 - WALK
      Event Number: AT2000/0427
      Start: SMITHFIELD STATION, SMITHFIELD 10KM
      Host Club: GATOR VOLKSMARSCH CLUB
      Write for more information to:
      PO BOX 14025
      NORFOLK, VA 23518-0025
      Contact: CLYDE D STEPHENS 757-421-0070
      Club web page:
      http://www.gohamptonroads.com/community/groups/gatorvolks/index.html
      Walk Your Way into 2001
      Event No: AT - 00/0427 December 31, 2000
      City, State: Smithfield, Virginia
      Host Club: Gator Volksmarsch Club
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km, Rated 1+
      Start Place Address: Smithfield Station
      Start Times: Between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Finish by 4:00 p.m.
      Event Description: The trail is mostly flat, with two short changes of
      elevation. The route will primarily be on town sidewalks, with a short
      stretch of paving brick on one street. There is also a short distance of
      natural path. The course is suitable for strollers.
      Award and Fees: The award and IVV credit are $6.00. IVV credit only is
      $2.00. The award is a patch commemorating New Year's Eve and New Year's
      Day. Pre-registration may be sent to: Gator Volksmarsch Club, P. O. Box
      14025, Norfolk, VA 23518
      Directions: From Maryland, Washington, DC and Richmond: Take I-95 south
      to State Route 10. Take Route 10 east
      through Hopewell (approximately 7 miles), and continue on Route 10
      another 55 miles, through the Town of Surry to the Route 10 Bypass
      around Smithfield. Take the bypass around the town, until you see the
      elevated water tank. Turn left on Business 10, at the stoplight. Follow
      Business 10 approximately 2 miles. The Smithfield Station will be on the
      right, just after crossing the Cypress Creek bridge. Park on either side
      of Business 10.
      >From North Carolina and Petersburg: Take I-95 to the intersection with
      U.S. 460 East. Take 460 east about 6 miles to Route 106. Turn left on
      Route 106, and travel about 9 miles to Route 10. Turn right on Route 10,
      and follow the directions for "From Maryland...", above.
      >From Southside Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc.): Take Route 17
      West from Portsmouth towards the James
      River Bridge (follow the yellow and green targets from I-64), travelling
      past I-664. Travel about 10 miles and turn left, towards Smithfield, at
      the stoplight at the intersection with U.S. Route 258/State Route 32.
      Turn right at the intersection with Route 10 (about 2.5 miles). Follow
      Route 10 west to intersection with Business 10, at the elevated water
      tank. Turn right, and follow the directions as above.
      >From the Peninsula: Take the James River Bridge (Route 17) south from
      Newport News, and follow Route 17 to the
      intersection with Routes 258/32. Turn right, and follow the directions
      for "From Southside...", above.
      Contact: Joe @ (757) 858-9650 or Dan (757) 523-1614
      Email Contact: FlyerDan@...
      Comments: Smithfield Station offers a wonderful New Year's Eve dinner.
      Please call for reservations (757) 357-7700.
      Several Gators will be there -- come join us! There are also a limited
      number of rooms for an overnight stay. Pets are welcome -- on a leash.

      New Year's Eve Walk AT2000/0303 December 31, 2000
      City, State, Country: Columbia, Howard County, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers (AVA-190)
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km (6.2 miles) trail, with a shorter, 7 km
      (4.3 miles) option. Both have an AVA Rating of 1+.
      They are suitable for strollers, but not wheelchairs.
      Start place address: Dasher Green Elementary School, 6700 Cradlerock Way
      #2, Columbia, Maryland.
      Start times: Start anytime between 9:00 and 11:37 am , finish by 2:37
      pm.
      Event description: The marked 10 km trail revisits paths used on prior
      walks and includes about 3 km of new trails in the Oakland Mills area.
      The 7 km option goes to Lake Elkhorn.
      Award and fees: A commemorative beer glass, with appropriate logo, will
      be available for purchase at a reasonable price. Only 180 glasses will
      be available; no reorders. There is no fee to walk, but donation are
      graciously accepted. The fee for those desiring IVV credit is $2.00.
      Directions: From I-95 North or South: Take Exit 38B/Route 32, towards
      Columbia. Follow Route 32 west to first
      exit(Broken Land Parkway). Bear RIGHT toward North/Owen Brown. At the
      third traffic signal, turn RIGHT onto
      Cradlerock Way.
      >From Route 29: Take Exit 18 (Broken Land Parkway) east towards Owen
      Brown. At second traffic signal, turn LEFT onto Cradlerock Way. Dasher
      Green Elementary School is approximately 0.3 mile from the traffic
      signal.
      Contact: Jack or Jean Lawrence, 301-937-7454, or Linda Hassell,
      410-437-2164, before 9 pm.
      Email contact: jackjean@... or wahasse@...
      Comments: The event is open to the public. Everyone is welcome to
      participate.
      There is no preregistration.
      The event will be held in all resonable weather. If weather conditions
      ar uncertain and a traveler's advisory is in effect on the day of the
      event, contact the persons listed above to obtain up-to-date
      information.
      Water and restrooms will be available at the Start/Finish location.

      Symphony of Lights Walk AT2000/0304 December 31, 2000
      City, State, Country: Columbia, Howard County, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers (AVA-190)
      Distance and Trail Rating: 5 km (3.1 miles) and 10 km (6.2 miles)
      trails, both with an AVA Rating of 1+
      Start place address: Main Food Court, Columbia Mall (between Sears and
      Penney's)
      Start times: 5 km; between 4:30 and 5:15 pm. 10 km; between 3:30 and
      4:15 pm.
      Event description: This is a guided walk. Written directions and a map
      will be provided at the Start. Both trails go through the Symphony of
      Lights (2.5 km), aneye-catching display of holiday figures outlined in
      multicolored lights. Both trails are primarily on hardtop paths and
      roadways and are suitable for strollers.
      Award and fees: There is no special award for this event. Each walker
      must pay a $3.00 entry fee for Symphony Woods at the walk Start. All
      proceeds benefit Howard County General Hospital's Maternal-Child Health
      Services. There is no addtional charge to participate without receiving
      IVV credit. The fee for IVV credit is $2.00.
      Directions: From I-95, take Exit 38B/Route 32 West towards Columbia.
      Exit at Route 29 North (Columbia Town Center) and proceed to Exit 18B
      (Broken Land Parkway). Proceed west on Broken Land Parkway, following
      signs to Columbia Mall.
      Contact: Jack or Jean Lawrence, 301-937-7454, or Linda Hassell,
      410-437-2164.
      Email contact: jackjean@... or wahasse@...
      Comments: There is no preregistration. The Finish table for the walk
      will be inside the Food Court until 6 pm and outside the door until 6:30
      pm.
      All walkers must exit the Symphony of Lights area by 6:00 pm. For those
      walking the 10 km trail, it is highly recommended that you carry a
      flashlight. Pets are not allowed. Food, drinks, and restrooms are
      available inside the Mall, near the Start location.

      New Year's Day Walk AT2001/0300 January 1, 2001
      City, State, Country: Columbia, Howard County, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers (AVA 190)
      Distance and Trail Rating: 10 km (6.2 miles), with a shorter, 6 km (3.7
      miles) option. AVA trail rating is 1+.
      Start place address: Owen Brown Community Center, 6800 Cradlerock Way,
      Columbia, Maryland
      Start times: Start anytime between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm. Finish by 4:00
      pm.
      Event description: This is a marked trail, similar to the one used on
      December 31, 2000. A shorter 6 km (3.7 miles) option, goes around Lake
      Elkhorn and can be walked separately or in conjunction with the 10 km
      trail. The trail is mainly on hardtop pathways, with some natural
      surfaces. There are no significant hills. The trail is suitable for
      strollers, but not wheelchairs. The AVA Trail Rating is 1+.
      Award and fees: A commemorative beer glass, with appropriate logo, will
      be available for purchase at a reasonable price. Only 180 glasses will
      be available; no reorders. There is no fee to walk, but donations are
      graciously accepted. The fee for those desiring IVV credit is $2.00.
      Directions: From I-95 North or South: Take Exit 38B/Route 32, towards
      Columbia. Follow Route 32 west to first exit (Broken Land Parkway). Bear
      RIGHT toward North/Owen Brown. At the third traffic signal, turn RIGHT
      onto Cadlerock Way.
      >From Route 29: Take Exit 18 (Broken Land Parkway) east towards Owen
      Brown. At second traffic signal, turn LEFT onto Cradlerock Way. PARK at
      Dasher Green Elementary School, approximately 0.3 mile from traffic
      signal, and follow signs to Start/Finish.
      Contact: Jack or Jean Lawrence, 301- 937-7454, or Linda Hassell,
      410-437-2164, before 9 pm.
      Email contact: jackjean@... or wahasse@...
      Comments: This event is open to the public. Everyone is welcome to
      participate.
      There is no preregistration. The evnt will be held in all reasonable
      weather. If weather conditions are uncertain and a traveler's advisory
      is in effect on the day of the event, contact one of the persons listed
      above to obtain up-to-date information.
      Freestate gourmet food and beverages will be available at the
      Start/Finish. Water and hard candy will be available at all checkpoints.
      The Courtyard by Marriott, 8910 Sanford Boulevard, Columbia, Maryland,
      is conveniently located near the walk Start/Finish.
      For reservations call: 1-800-321-2211, or in Maryland call 410-290-0002.

      New Year's Day Walk AT2001/0301 January 1, 2001
      City, State, Country: Columbia, Howard County, Maryland, USA
      Host Club: Freestate Happy Wanderers (AVA 190)
      Distance and Trail Rating: 12 km (7.4 miles), witrh a shorter, 6 km (3.7
      miles) option. AVA Trail Rating is 1+.
      Start place address: Owen Brown Community Center, 6800 Cradlerock Way,
      Columbia, MD
      Start times: Start anytime between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm. Finish by 4:00
      pm.
      Event description: This is a marked trail, entirely new, exploring
      King's Contrivance. A shorter 6 km (3.7 miles) option goes around Lake
      Elkhorn and can be walked separately, or in conjunction with the 12 km
      trail. The trail is mainly on hardtop pathways, with some natural
      surfaces. There are no significant hills. The trail is suitable for
      strolloers, but not wheelchairs..
      Award and fees: a commemorative beer glass, with appropriate logo, will
      be available for purchase at a reasonable price. Only 180 glasses will
      be available; no reorders. There is no fee to walk, but donations are
      graciously accepted. The fee for those desiring IVV credit is $2.00.
      Directions: From I-95 North or South: Take Exit 38B/Route 32, towards
      Columbia. Follow Route 32 west to first exit (Broken Land Parkway). Bear
      RIGHT toward North/Owen Brown. At the third traffic signal, turn RIGHT
      onto Cradlerock Way.
      >From Route 29: Take Exit 18 (Broken Land Parkway)east towards Owen
      Brown. At second traffic signal, turn LEFT onto Cradlerock Way. PARK at
      Dasher Green Elementary School, approximately 0.3 mile from the traffic
      signal, and follow signs to Start/Finish.
      Contact: Jack or Jean Lawrence, 301-937-7454, or Linda Hassell,
      410-437-2164, before 9 pm.
      Email contact: jackjean@... or wahasse@...
      Comments: This event is open to the public. Everyone is welcome to
      participate.
      There is no preregistration.
      The event will be held in all reasonable weather. If weather conditions
      are uncertain and a traveler's advisory is in effect on the day of the
      event, contact one of the persons above to obtain up-to-date
      information.
      Freestate gourmet food and beverages will be available at the
      Start/Finish. Water and hard candy will be available at all checkpoints.
      The Courtyard by Marriott, 8910 Sanford Boulevard, Columbia, MD is
      conveniently located near the walk Start/Finish. For reservations call:
      1-800-321-2211, or in Maryland call 410-290-0002.
      Wendy Bumgardner
      About.com Guide to Walking
      http://walking.about.com
      walking.guide@...