1651Walk Saturday 4/26/14 Alexandria, VA

  • Robert Schmick
    Apr 23, 2014

      Some of us are spending the weekend in Western Md walking New Germany State Park and the C & O Canal. Any of you NOT going can walk this walk.

      Car pools will need to be made between walkers.

      Bob

      Dates:

      4/26/2014 - 4/26/2014

      City / State:

      Alexandria, VA

      Event Name:

      Hollin Hills Spring Walk

      Event Type:

      Walk

      Event ID:

      98503

      Distance - Trail Ratings:

      6 KM/10 KM - 2A

      Trail Description: Two trail options are offered. Both the 10 KM (6 mile) and 5 KM (3 mile) options lead you through pleasant residential neighborhoods, with special attention given to the Hollin Hills neighborhood, which is described on the facing page. Most segments of the walk are relatively flat, but there are a few moderate hills. Roughly half of the walk is on sidewalks, with the rest on the shoulders of neighborhood streets that are lightly traveled by vehicles. The walk should be suitable for strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Flowers should be blooming, which will add to the visual appeal of this distinctive springtime walk. Hollin Hills Hollin Hills was developed following the purchase of about 225 acres for $550 per acre in 1949 by Robert Davenport. The site was about a dozen miles south of Washington DC. Davenport enlisted architect Charles Goodman, who previously had designed the main terminal of Washington National Airport, to design homes that would be contemporary in design, that could be easily constructed, and that took into account the natural drainage patterns and slopes to minimize cut-and-fill required for roads as well as preserve the area's forests as much as possible. Over the next two decades, about 450 residences were built. The architectural distinctiveness of the area was recognized when the American Institute of Architects (AIA) cited Hollin Hills in 1957 as one of ten examples as "American Architecture at its best, which forecast the future of architecture in this country." In 1982, the Virginia chapter of the AIA designated Hollin Hills for a "test of time" award. The neighborhood has been nominated for entry on the National Register of Historic Places. The trail guide for this volksmarch will include historic photos and diagrams that highlight especially noteworthy homes and places in the area and provide special insights into a very distinctive place.

      Amenities:

      Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: hard | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes

      Special Programs:

      This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.

      Start Times:

      8 AM-1 PM; Finish by 4 PM

      Location:

      The Baerwald Residence

      Start Point / Driving Directions:

      7735 Wellington Rd., Alexandria VA 22306

      Driving Directions

      If driving from the north through Old Town Alexandria: Drive south on Washington St., which will become the George Washington Memorial Pkwy. as you depart Old Town. Drive for 3.0 miles to the exit for Morningside Ln. Turn right to wind up the hill on Morningside and drive 0.5 miles to the stop light at Fort Hunt Rd. Continue straight on what now is Sherwood Hall Ln. and drive for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd., which is on the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left and drive one block to the start/finish point.

      If driving from the east from Maryland: Drive west on the Capital Beltway (I 95/I-495) and cross the Potomac on the Wilson Bridge. At the far end of the bridge, bear right to take Exit 177C (Mount Vernon). The ramp will take you onto a street that ends in one block at Washington St. Turn right on Washington St, and continue south for 3.0 miles on what becomes the GW Memorial Pkwy, until you reach the exit for Morningside Ln. Turn right to wind up the hill on Morningside and drive 0.5 miles to the stop light at Fort Hunt Rd. Continue straight on what now is Sherwood Hall Lane and drive for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd., which is on the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left and drive one block to the start/finish point.

      If driving from the south on I 95: Drive north on I 95 to Exit 161 to US 1 (Fort Belvoir). Drive for 10.2 miles through Fort Belvoir to Sherwood Hall Lane (with a Walmart on the left side of the intersection). Bear right to drive on Sherwood Hall for 1.3 miles to Wellington Rd., which is just past Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn right and drive one block to the start/finish point

      If driving from the west on the Capital Beltway: Drive east on the Capital Beltway (I 95/I-495) to Exit 177A (Fort Belvoir). Bear right on the exit ramp and stay to the right for one block to the traffic light. (Do not merge onto US 1; stay in the two right lanes, which veer away from US 1.) Turn left to cross US 1 and drive south on Fort Hunt Rd. for 2.7 miles to Sherwood Hall Ln. (at the 4th traffic signal). Turn right to drive on Sherwood Hall for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd., which is on the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left and drive one block to the start/finish point.

      Parking: There is no off-street parking, but there is room for many vehicles to park on Wellington Rd., Courtland Ln., Sherwood Hall Ln., Midday Ln., and other nearby streets. If you need to walk more than 5 minutes from your car to the Start/Finish Point, inform the workers at the S/F Point.

      Awards & Fees:

      IVV Credit Only

      Comments:

      Hours: Register between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM. Finish trail by 4:00 PM.

      Registration and Fees: There is no pre-registration for this event. All participants must register at the start point and carry a start card. Participation is free. For those who wish IVV credit only, the fee is $3.00. There are no awards for this event.

      Eligibility: Everyone is welcome! This event is open to all regardless of age, sex, creed, race, or nationality. Participants may walk, jog, or run. An adult must accompany all children under 12 years of age.

      IVV Credit: This event counts toward acquisition of IVV Achievement Awards. All participants of previous IVV events are reminded to bring both IVV books for this event. There is only one event credit for both trails. Participants may walk for distance credit without limit; but no more than 20 KM per start card. New Walker packets and IVV books will be available for $5.00 each.

      Refreshments: Water and candy will be available at the start point. Restrooms are available at the start/finish point.

      AVA Special Programs: Because of the large number and inconsistent operation of special programs offered by the AVA and various clubs, this walk's organizers cannot be sure for which programs this walk might qualify. We suspect it will qualify for the "You'll Never Walk Alone" program, but we can't be sure. Because the satisfaction of walkers is our foremost desire, we will stamp any special program book that a walker feels is appropriate for this event. We urge special program organizers to also place the highest-possible value on the satisfaction of walkers involved in their programs.

      Conditions:
      • Pets must be leashed.
      • Littering is not permitted.
      • Park only in legal spaces on nearby streets.
      • This event will be held regardless of most weather conditions.
      • Carry water.
      • There will be no refunds for those who decline to participate.
      • With registration for this event, the participant accepts the guidelines for AVA volkssport events and agrees to observe the principles of good sportsmanship.

      Disclaimer: Every effort is being made to make this a safe, enjoyable and memorable event. The sponsor is not liable for accidents, thefts, and/or material damage.

      Host Club:

      Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club, Inc.

      Contact:

      Thomas Baerwald (703) 765-3128

      Website:

      www.mdvolks.org/wdcavc/