    Apr 11, 2014
      4/12/2014
      City / State: Annapolis, MD
      Event Name: 25th Anniversary Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98422
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5K & 10K - 1A
      to share after you finish the walk.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8 AM till 1 PM Finish by 4:00 PM
      Location: Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 801 Chase Street. From Rt. 50 East or
      West take Exit 24 Rowe Blvd. (MD-70) south toward downtown Annapolis. At
      second traffic light, turn right onto Taylor Avenue. Proceed to traffic
      Circle and take second exit to Spa Road. Take the first left onto
      Carraway Lane and proceed to Maryland Hall on your right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Annapolis in the Spring is a great place to walk. Remember,
      you never get older, you only get better.
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers
      Contact: Robert Schmick (410) 960-6226
      Website: www.annapolisamblerswalk.com
      E-Mail Contact: marktim@...

      ===
      Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm

      Find Virginia Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/virginiawalks.htm

      =========

      4/26/2014
      City / State: Alexandria, VA
      Event Name: Hollin Hills Spring Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98503
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 6 KM/10 KM - 2A
      10 KM (6 mile) and 5 KM (3 mile) options lead you through pleasant
      residential neighborhoods, with special attention given to the Hollin
      Hills neighborhood, which is described on the facing page. Most segments
      of the walk are relatively flat, but there are a few moderate hills.
      Roughly half of the walk is on sidewalks, with the rest on the shoulders
      of neighborhood streets that are lightly traveled by vehicles. The walk
      should be suitable for strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Flowers
      should be blooming, which will add to the visual appeal of this
      distinctive springtime walk. Hollin Hills Hollin Hills was developed
      following the purchase of about 225 acres for $550 per acre in 1949 by
      Robert Davenport. The site was about a dozen miles south of Washington
      DC. Davenport enlisted architect Charles Goodman, who previously had
      designed the main terminal of Washington National Airport, to design
      homes that would be contemporary in design, that could be easily
      constructed, and that took into account the natural drainage patterns
      and slopes to minimize cut-and-fill required for roads as well as
      preserve the area's forests as much as possible. Over the next two
      decades, about 450 residences were built. The architectural
      distinctiveness of the area was recognized when the American Institute
      of Architects (AIA) cited Hollin Hills in 1957 as one of ten examples as
      "American Architecture at its best, which forecast the future of
      architecture in this country." In 1982, the Virginia chapter of the AIA
      designated Hollin Hills for a "test of time" award. The neighborhood has
      been nominated for entry on the National Register of Historic Places.
      The trail guide for this volksmarch will include historic photos and
      diagrams that highlight especially noteworthy homes and places in the
      area and provide special insights into a very distinctive place.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: hard | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8 AM-1 PM; Finish by 4 PM
      Location: The Baerwald Residence
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 7735 Wellington Rd., Alexandria VA 22306
      Driving Directions
      If driving from the north through Old Town Alexandria: Drive south on
      Washington St., which will become the George Washington Memorial Pkwy.
      as you depart Old Town. Drive for 3.0 miles to the exit for Morningside
      Ln. Turn right to wind up the hill on Morningside and drive 0.5 miles to
      the stop light at Fort Hunt Rd. Continue straight on what now is
      Sherwood Hall Ln. and drive for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd., which is on
      the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left and drive one
      block to the start/finish point.
      If driving from the east from Maryland: Drive west on the Capital
      Beltway (I 95/I-495) and cross the Potomac on the Wilson Bridge. At the
      far end of the bridge, bear right to take Exit 177C (Mount Vernon). The
      ramp will take you onto a street that ends in one block at Washington
      St. Turn right on Washington St, and continue south for 3.0 miles on
      what becomes the GW Memorial Pkwy, until you reach the exit for
      Morningside Ln. Turn right to wind up the hill on Morningside and drive
      0.5 miles to the stop light at Fort Hunt Rd. Continue straight on what
      now is Sherwood Hall Lane and drive for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd.,
      which is on the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left
      and drive one block to the start/finish point.
      If driving from the south on I 95: Drive north on I 95 to Exit 161 to US
      1 (Fort Belvoir). Drive for 10.2 miles through Fort Belvoir to Sherwood
      Hall Lane (with a Walmart on the left side of the intersection). Bear
      right to drive on Sherwood Hall for 1.3 miles to Wellington Rd., which
      is just past Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn right and drive one
      block to the start/finish point
      If driving from the west on the Capital Beltway: Drive east on the
      Capital Beltway (I 95/I-495) to Exit 177A (Fort Belvoir). Bear right on
      the exit ramp and stay to the right for one block to the traffic light.
      (Do not merge onto US 1; stay in the two right lanes, which veer away
      from US 1.) Turn left to cross US 1 and drive south on Fort Hunt Rd. for
      2.7 miles to Sherwood Hall Ln. (at the 4th traffic signal). Turn right
      to drive on Sherwood Hall for 0.5 miles to Wellington Rd., which is on
      the near side of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church. Turn left and drive one
      block to the start/finish point.
      Parking: There is no off-street parking, but there is room for many
      vehicles to park on Wellington Rd., Courtland Ln., Sherwood Hall Ln.,
      Midday Ln., and other nearby streets. If you need to walk more than 5
      minutes from your car to the Start/Finish Point, inform the workers at
      the S/F Point.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Hours: Register between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM. Finish trail by
      4:00 PM.
      Registration and Fees: There is no pre-registration for this event. All
      participants must register at the start point and carry a start card.
      Participation is free. For those who wish IVV credit only, the fee is
      $3.00. There are no awards for this event.
      Eligibility: Everyone is welcome! This event is open to all regardless
      of age, sex, creed, race, or nationality. Participants may walk, jog, or
      run. An adult must accompany all children under 12 years of age.
      IVV Credit: This event counts toward acquisition of IVV Achievement
      Awards. All participants of previous IVV events are reminded to bring
      both IVV books for this event. There is only one event credit for both
      trails. Participants may walk for distance credit without limit; but no
      more than 20 KM per start card. New Walker packets and IVV books will be
      available for $5.00 each.
      Refreshments: Water and candy will be available at the start point.
      Restrooms are available at the start/finish point.
      AVA Special Programs: Because of the large number and inconsistent
      operation of special programs offered by the AVA and various clubs, this
      walk's organizers cannot be sure for which programs this walk might
      qualify. We suspect it will qualify for the "You'll Never Walk Alone"
      program, but we can't be sure. Because the satisfaction of walkers is
      our foremost desire, we will stamp any special program book that a
      walker feels is appropriate for this event. We urge special program
      organizers to also place the highest-possible value on the satisfaction
      of walkers involved in their programs.
      Conditions:
      • Pets must be leashed.
      • Littering is not permitted.
      • Park only in legal spaces on nearby streets.
      • This event will be held regardless of most weather conditions.
      • Carry water.
      • There will be no refunds for those who decline to participate.
      • With registration for this event, the participant accepts the
      guidelines for AVA volkssport events and agrees to observe the
      principles of good sportsmanship.
      Disclaimer: Every effort is being made to make this a safe, enjoyable
      and memorable event. The sponsor is not liable for accidents, thefts,
      and/or material damage.
      Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club, Inc.
      Contact: Thomas Baerwald (703) 765-3128
      Website: www.mdvolks.org/wdcavc/
      E-Mail Contact: tbaerwal@...

      4/28/2014
      City / State: Alexandria, VA
      Event Name: April Evening Walk
      Event Type: Night Walk
      Event ID: 98505
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5-6 KM/10 KM - 1A
      consist of 10 KM (6.2 miles) trails with shorter 5 KM (3.1 miles) or 6
      KM (3.8 miles) options along residential sidewalks and park trails in
      Old Town Alexandria. Most trails will explore various neighborhoods,
      wander beside the Potomac River, and meander up hills that overlook Old
      Town. Trails are rated 1A, with only moderate hills. Trails are mostly
      on pavement, although short segments may be on natural surfaces. Trails
      should be suitable for strollers, although wheelchairs may encounter
      some difficulty. For more detailed information about each month's trail,
      please check with the information contact. Written instructions and maps
      will be provided for each walk. Trails will not be marked.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: hard | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 4:30-5:30 PM, finish by 8:30 PM
      Location: Barrett Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria VA 22314
      Start Point / Driving Directions: Kate Waller Barrett Branch Library,
      717 Queen Street, Alexandria VA 22314
      Driving Directions
      From the East or West via I 95/I 495 (Capital Beltway):
      • Take Exit 177B (US-1 North/Alexandria), the first exit west of the
      Wilson Bridge.
      • Continue north on US 1 for about 10 blocks (0.8 miles) to Queen St. (2
      blocks past King St.).
      • Turn RIGHT on Queen St. for 2 1/2 blocks. The Library will be on your
      left.
      From the North via the George Washington Memorial Parkway:
      • Take the GW Parkway into Old Town Alexandria.
      • Continue on what now is called Washington St. for about 8 blocks from
      the first traffic signal at Slater's Lane to Princess St.
      • Turn RIGHT on Princess St. You will be one block north of the library,
      which is on the far side of a large parking lot to your left.
      Parking: You can usually find parking along the streets, especially on
      blocks north and east of the library. Check signs carefully to determine
      how long you can legally park and whether you might be in a zone that
      must be cleared during rush hour. Please note that we have been unable
      to make arrangements to use the parking lot behind the library and the
      Wells Fargo Bank on the same block. You therefore should not park in
      that lot. If you choose to park in any other lot, you may be subject to
      ticketing and/or towing.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: HOURS: Start between 4:30 and 5:30 PM; finish by 8:30 PM.
      (If you plan to walk after 7:30 PM in April and September, bring a
      flashlight.)
      ELIGIBILITY: Everyone is welcome to participate. An adult must accompany
      children under 12. Groups are welcome.
      FEES AND AWARD: These events count towards the acquisition of IVV
      Achievement Awards. The fee for IVV Credit is $3.00. There is no fee to
      just walk the trail, but you must register and carry a start card. No
      refunds will be given. There is no commemorative award for these events.
      PROCEDURE: Each participant is issued a start card, which must be
      carried on the walk. Only one start card per person is issued, and it
      must be turned in at the Finish table after completing the event. Only
      those participants with a properly validated start card will be eligible
      for IVV Credit. Each trail may be completed twice per start card on the
      same day at no additional cost, provided you complete the trail within
      the stated start/finish time.
      CONDITIONS: Water is available at the Start/Finish Point, and food and
      drink usually is available along the trail, but you should carry your
      own water on the walk in case of extreme weather or personal cases of
      dehydration. Littering along the trails is prohibited. The events will
      be held rain or shine. Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed at all
      times and cleaned up after by their owner. Dogs are not allowed inside
      the library.
      REMINDER: The American Volkssport Association (AVA), a member of the
      International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV), sanctions these
      events. If you are a participant in the IVV Achievement Program,
      remember your record books. IVV event and distance books, as well as New
      Walker Packets, are available for sale for $5.00.
      DISCLAIMER: Every reasonable effort will be exercised to make these
      events safe, enjoyable and memorable for our participants. The American
      Volkssport Association, its subsidiary clubs, and the Kate Waller
      Barrett Branch Library are not responsible for theft or loss of personal
      belongings or property. All participants must sign a waiver.
      Host Club: Washington DC Area Volksmarch Club, Inc.
      Contact: Sandra Cahill (571) 405-4808
      Website: www.mdvolks.org/wdcavc/
      E-Mail Contact: scahill@...

      5/3/2014
      City / State: Gaithersburg, MD
      Event Name: Olde Towne G'burg/Washington Grove
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 97183
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5km/10km - 1A
      sidewalks. The walk is through several historic neighborhoods with
      houses from the 1900 era; there is one street (Walker) on which 5
      Gaithersburg mayors once lived that was also the first street to receive
      street lights. The Washington Grove trail is through a tiny town within
      a forest. It began in 1873 as a permanent place for Methodist camp
      meetings (religious retreats.) There are narrow Carpenter Gothic
      cottages with steeply pitched roofs and lacy gingerbread trim. Cars are
      restricted to a few streets with gravel pathways for walking. It is a
      view of living in the past. Both trails are suitable for strollers, not
      wheelchairs.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: NO | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Bakeries Family Owned, Cities in Song, Honoring Our
      Flag, National Register of Historic Places, Trekking With the Trees,
      You'll Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: 8:00am 11:00am. Finish walk by 2:00 pm
      Location: Java Junction
      Start Point / Driving Directions: Java Junction, Gaithersburg MARC train
      station,
      5 S. Summit Ave., Gaithersburg, MD 20877. Start point at Java Junction
      will be outside at the back of the coffee shop, away from the train tracks.
      DIRECTIONS:
      FROM I-270 GOING NORTH: EXIT 8 Shady Grove Rd. RIGHT on Shady Gove Rd
      (East, Gaithersburg). LEFT on Rt.355 Frederick Ave for about 1.3 miles.
      RIGHT on Summit Ave. Stay in left lane for 2 blocks. LEFT on Olde Towne
      Ave. LEFT into parking lot or take first RIGHT into alley before Subway
      for garage parking. At street level, RETURN to Summit. CROSS and turn
      LEFT on Summit. Cross train tracks. Java Junction is on the right.
      FROM I-270 GOING SOUTH: EXIT 11 Montgomery Village Ave/Rt. 124. LEFT on
      Rt. 124 North. RIGHT on Rt. 355 Frederick Ave for about 1.3 miles. LEFT
      on Summit Ave. Stay in left lane for 2 blocks. LEFT on Olde Towne Ave.
      LEFT into parking lot or take first right into alley before Subway for
      garage parking. At street level, RETURN to Summit. CROSS and turn left
      on Summit. Cross train tracks. Java Junction is on the right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Walk info-Contact: Janet Brown, derwood_duck@...,
      240-483-5325 (cell) or Heather Coxon, heathercoxon@..., 301-926-9065.
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Contact: Janet Brown (240) 483-5325
      Website: www.sugarloafers.org
      E-Mail Contact: derwood_duck@...

      5/3/2014
      City / State: Washington, DC
      Event Name: Walk Around the World w/ Passport DC
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 96748
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5(+/-) & 10(+/-) km - 1A
      streets through embassy row. You will have the option to visit the
      embassy open houses along the trail for over 45 different countries. The
      trail will be suitable for strollers and wheelchairs. Dogs may not be
      allowed in certain embassies.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Border Crossings, Cities in Song, National Register of
      Historic Places, You'll Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: 09:00 am to 1 p.m., finish by 5:00 pm. No early st
      Location: Australian Embassy, 1601 Massachusetts Avenue,N.W.,
      Washington, DC 20036
      Start Point / Driving Directions: (Parking is along streets and is VERY
      limited)
      1601 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
      GPS coordinates : 38.9080048, -77.0370255
      FROM VIRGINIA AND POINTS SOUTH: Take I-95 North to Continue onto I-395N
      (signs for Tysons Corner/Washington/I-395 N/I-495)
      Continue on I-395 N (signs for Washington/I-395 N) 8.4 mi
      Take the exit on the left onto I-395 N entering District of Columbia 1.3 mi
      Continue onto US 1 N (signs for 14th Street/National Mall)1.0 mi
      Continue onto 14th St NW 0.9 mi
      At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit onto Massachusetts Ave NW 0.3 mi
      At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Massachusetts Ave NW
      0.1 mi
      Embassy will be on the right
      FROM POINTS NORTH: Take I-95 South to New York Ave/US-50 W toward Washington
      Take exit 19B onto US 50 W toward Washington Entering Washington 9.9 mi
      Continue onto New York Ave NW 0.1 mi
      Continue onto Mt Vernon Place NW 0.1 mi
      Continue onto Massachusetts Ave NW 0.7 mi
      At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Massachusetts Ave to
      Australian Embassy on the right 0.1 mi
      USING THE METRO: Take the METRO to DuPont Circle Station. Exit onto
      street level and turn onto Connecticut Ave NW [do not cross Q St]. At
      the traffic circle bear left onto Massachusetts Ave. About 10 minutes
      1/2 mile to embassy on the left.
      Awards & Fees: A Award
      Comments: Plan on arriving early to be sure to visit as many embassies
      as possible! START AND FINISH TIMES: We will have a list of open
      embassies (over 45) so you can pick your favorite few. Once you complete
      the walk if time permits you can shuttle back to the embassies you may
      have missed or were not on our walking route due to distance. The
      shuttle service is free! Entrances to the embassies are free and they
      will offer many free goodies!
      Also visit Cultural Tourism DC for more info:
      http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/portal/signature-events
      Host Club: U.S. Freedom Walk Festival Club
      Contact: Dolores Grenier (703) 209-0174
      Website: www.usfreedomwalk.org
      E-Mail Contact: USFWF@...

      Join our MarylandWalking Facebook Group