  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Apr 4, 2014
      4/5/2014
      City / State: Germantown, MD
      Event Name:
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 96120
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 6km/10km - 2A
      significant hills. Restrooms are available at the Start Point. Pets are
      allowed, but must be leashed at all times during the walk. This walk
      will be held regardless of the weather, unless conditions cause the
      sponsors to close the trails for safety reasons. Water and candy will be
      available at the Start Point. 10 km trail rated 2A; 6 km trail rated 1A
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Cities in Song, Honoring Our Flag, Lakes and
      Reservoirs, Rainbow Color-Named Places, Trekking With the Trees, You'll
      Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: Registration: 8AM - 11AM; Finish by 2PM
      Location: International House of Pancakes-IHOP
      Start Point / Driving Directions: IHOP, 20009 Century Boulevard,
      Germantown, Maryland 20874. Parking is available in the IHOP parking lot.
      DIRECTIONS TO START POINT:
      FROM I-270 GOING NORTH: Merge onto MD-118S/Germantown Rd. via Exit 15B.
      *Turn right onto Aircraft Dr. Take 1st right onto Century Blvd. Turn
      right into IHOP parking lot.
      FROM I-270 GOING SOUTH: Take Exit 15B-A. Merge onto MD 118S/Germantown
      Rd. via Exit 15B. Continue from * above.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: 10 km trail rated 2A
      6 km trail rated 1A
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Contact: Carolyn Thurber (301) 926-0915
      Website: www.sugarloafers.org
      E-Mail Contact: cbthurber@...

      ===
      Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm

      Find Virginia Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/virginiawalks.htm

      =========

      4/12/2014
      City / State: Annapolis, MD
      Event Name: 25th Anniversary Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98422
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5K & 10K - 1A
      cake to share after you finish the walk.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: medium | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8 AM till 1 PM Finish by 4:00 PM
      Location: Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 801 Chase Street. From Rt. 50 East
      or West take Exit 24 Rowe Blvd. (MD-70) south toward downtown Annapolis.
      At second traffic light, turn right onto Taylor Avenue. Proceed to
      traffic Circle and take second exit to Spa Road. Take the first left
      onto Carraway Lane and proceed to Maryland Hall on your right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Annapolis in the Spring is a great place to walk.
      Remember, you never get older, you only get better.
      Host Club: Annapolis Amblers
      Contact: Robert Schmick (410) 960-6226
      Website: www.annapolisamblerswalk.com
      E-Mail Contact: marktim@...

      5/3/2014
      City / State: Gaithersburg, MD
      Event Name: Olde Towne G'burg/Washington Grove
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 97183
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5km/10km - 1A
      city sidewalks. The walk is through several historic neighborhoods with
      houses from the 1900 era; there is one street (Walker) on which 5
      Gaithersburg mayors once lived that was also the first street to receive
      street lights. The Washington Grove trail is through a tiny town within
      a forest. It began in 1873 as a permanent place for Methodist camp
      meetings (religious retreats.) There are narrow Carpenter Gothic
      cottages with steeply pitched roofs and lacy gingerbread trim. Cars are
      restricted to a few streets with gravel pathways for walking. It is a
      view of living in the past. Both trails are suitable for strollers, not
      wheelchairs.
      Amenities: Strollers: medium | Wheelchairs: NO | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Bakeries Family Owned, Cities in Song, Honoring
      Our Flag, National Register of Historic Places, Trekking With the Trees,
      You'll Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: 8:00am 11:00am. Finish walk by 2:00 pm
      Location: Java Junction
      Start Point / Driving Directions: Java Junction, Gaithersburg MARC
      train station,
      5 S. Summit Ave., Gaithersburg, MD 20877. Start point at Java Junction
      will be outside at the back of the coffee shop, away from the train tracks.
      DIRECTIONS:
      FROM I-270 GOING NORTH: EXIT 8 Shady Grove Rd. RIGHT on Shady Gove Rd
      (East, Gaithersburg). LEFT on Rt.355 Frederick Ave for about 1.3 miles.
      RIGHT on Summit Ave. Stay in left lane for 2 blocks. LEFT on Olde Towne
      Ave. LEFT into parking lot or take first RIGHT into alley before Subway
      for garage parking. At street level, RETURN to Summit. CROSS and turn
      LEFT on Summit. Cross train tracks. Java Junction is on the right.
      FROM I-270 GOING SOUTH: EXIT 11 Montgomery Village Ave/Rt. 124. LEFT on
      Rt. 124 North. RIGHT on Rt. 355 Frederick Ave for about 1.3 miles. LEFT
      on Summit Ave. Stay in left lane for 2 blocks. LEFT on Olde Towne Ave.
      LEFT into parking lot or take first right into alley before Subway for
      garage parking. At street level, RETURN to Summit. CROSS and turn left
      on Summit. Cross train tracks. Java Junction is on the right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: Walk info-Contact: Janet Brown, derwood_duck@...,
      240-483-5325 (cell) or Heather Coxon, heathercoxon@..., 301-926-9065.
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers
      Contact: Janet Brown (240) 483-5325
      Website: www.sugarloafers.org
      E-Mail Contact: derwood_duck@...

      5/3/2014
      City / State: Washington, DC
      Event Name: Walk Around the World w/ Passport DC
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 96748
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5(+/-) & 10(+/-) km - 1A
      streets through embassy row. You will have the option to visit the
      embassy open houses along the trail for over 45 different countries. The
      trail will be suitable for strollers and wheelchairs. Dogs may not be
      allowed in certain embassies.
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes |
      Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Border Crossings, Cities in Song, National
      Register of Historic Places, You'll Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: 09:00 am to 1 p.m., finish by 5:00 pm. No early st
      Location: Australian Embassy, 1601 Massachusetts Avenue,N.W.,
      Washington, DC 20036
      Start Point / Driving Directions: (Parking is along streets and is
      VERY limited)
      1601 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
      GPS coordinates : 38.9080048, -77.0370255
      FROM VIRGINIA AND POINTS SOUTH: Take I-95 North to Continue onto I-395N
      (signs for Tysons Corner/Washington/I-395 N/I-495)
      Continue on I-395 N (signs for Washington/I-395 N) 8.4 mi
      Take the exit on the left onto I-395 N entering District of Columbia 1.3 mi
      Continue onto US 1 N (signs for 14th Street/National Mall)1.0 mi
      Continue onto 14th St NW 0.9 mi
      At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit onto Massachusetts Ave NW 0.3 mi
      At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Massachusetts Ave NW
      0.1 mi
      Embassy will be on the right
      FROM POINTS NORTH: Take I-95 South to New York Ave/US-50 W toward Washington
      Take exit 19B onto US 50 W toward Washington Entering Washington 9.9 mi
      Continue onto New York Ave NW 0.1 mi
      Continue onto Mt Vernon Place NW 0.1 mi
      Continue onto Massachusetts Ave NW 0.7 mi
      At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Massachusetts Ave to
      Australian Embassy on the right 0.1 mi
      USING THE METRO: Take the METRO to DuPont Circle Station. Exit onto
      street level and turn onto Connecticut Ave NW [do not cross Q St]. At
      the traffic circle bear left onto Massachusetts Ave. About 10 minutes
      1/2 mile to embassy on the left.
      Awards & Fees: A Award
      Comments: Plan on arriving early to be sure to visit as many
      embassies as possible! START AND FINISH TIMES: We will have a list of
      open embassies (over 45) so you can pick your favorite few. Once you
      complete the walk if time permits you can shuttle back to the embassies
      you may have missed or were not on our walking route due to distance.
      The shuttle service is free! Entrances to the embassies are free and
      they will offer many free goodies!
      Also visit Cultural Tourism DC for more info:
      http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/portal/signature-events
      Host Club: U.S. Freedom Walk Festival Club
      Contact: Dolores Grenier (703) 209-0174
      Website: www.usfreedomwalk.org
      E-Mail Contact: USFWF@...

      Join our MarylandWalking Facebook Group