1637Lancaster Walks and Swim - Atlantic Region Conf.

  • Wendy Bumgardner
    Mar 14, 2014
      2014 Atlantic Region Conference
      Three Walks and One Swim
      (also available – Eight Year-Round Walks in Lancaster County)
      DATE: Friday, March 14 – Sunday, March 16, 2014
      SPONSOR: Keystone State Volkssport Association
      START LOCATION: lower level of Lancaster Host Resort, 2300 Lincoln
      Highway East, Lancaster, PA 17201. Registration is on Friday, 9 am - 5
      pm; Saturday, 8 am - 2 pm; Sunday, 8 am to 1 pm. IVV books must be
      stamped by Sunday, 4 pm.
      Walk #1: AVA Event # AT14/96224 5K & 10K Trails, Rated 1A
      Shop ‘Till You Drop Walk – This is the featured walk on Friday, March
      14. This walk starts from the resort and features the two extremes of
      Lancaster County. The first part of the walk is in the commercial,
      tourist oriented Lancaster County, and passes the Rockvale Square
      Outlets and the Tanger Outlets. The second part is along rural roads
      bordered by Amish and “English” farms and homesteads.
      Special Programs: Honoring Our Flag, S.N.O.B
      Walk # 2: AVA Event # AT14/96178 6K & 10K Trails, Rated 1A
      Strasburg Walk – This is the featured walk on Saturday, March 15. After
      registering, you must drive 5 miles to the start at the Strasburg Rail
      Road in Ronks. This walk will pass the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
      and visit the village of Strasburg.
      Special Programs: Fraternal Organizations, Grist Mills, Honoring Our
      Flag, Main Street, National Register of Historic Places, S.N.O.B., Water
      Towers
      Walk # 3: AVA Event # AT14/96390 5K & 10K Trails, Rated 1B
      East Lampeter Walk – This is the featured walk on Sunday, March 16.
      After registering, you must drive 1 mile to the East Lampeter Township
      Community Park. The walk goes on paved trails in East Lampeter Township
      Community Park, Bentley Ridge Apartments and Condominium Development,
      and in the Amish Farm and House Complex. You will pass Amish farms, the
      Willow Hill Covered Bridge, and the American Music Theater.
      Special Programs: Honoring Our Flag, S.N.O.B., Trekking with the Trees
      300m Swim: AVA Event # AT14/96177
      Consider doing the swim event each day
      The indoor pool is open daily from 7 am – 11 pm. Due to insurance
      reasons, only guests of the Lancaster Host Resort may use the swimming
      pool. Therefore in order to do this swim event, you must be a guest of
      the Lancaster Host Resort.
      Saturday Afternoon Activities
      3:00 pm Workshop #1:: ”AVA: Past, Present and Future” (How can AVA help
      clubs and how clubs can help AVA) by Chuck Blische, AVA Marketing Director.
      4:00 pm Workshop #2:: “The Perfect Event” by Bob & Suzanne Wright,
      President, Loudon Walking & Volkssport Club.
      5:00 pm Atlantic Region Meeting.
      Volunteers are needed. If you want to help at the conference, please
      attach a note and let us know when you are available and which jobs you
      are interested in!
      SANCTIONED BY: This event is sanctioned by the American Volkssport
      Association (AVA), a member of the International Federation of Popular
      Sports. This event counts towards the acquisition of IVV Achievement awards.
      PROCEDURE: AVA policy requires that every participant, fee or non-fee,
      sign the insurance waiver and obtain a numbered start card which is
      stamped at control points along the course. At the Finish, the validated
      card is turned in and IVV books are stamped for official credit, if the
      credit fee has been paid. The trail may be walked a second t me on the
      same day using the same start card at no additional cost.
      ELIGIBILITY: Everyone is welcome to participate. Children 12 and under
      must be accompanied by an adult. Walk at your own pace. Runners are welcome!
      REGISTRATION and FEES: IVV credit is $3.00. IVV credit w/ “A” Award is
      $6.00. There will be no refunds. Preregister using the form enclosed
      with this brochure or on the KSVA web site: www.ksva.net
      CONDITIONS: The event will be held regardless of the weather. There will
      be no littering. Wildlife and plant life are not to be disturbed. Pets
      must be on a leash at all times and are not permitted in any buildings.
      AWARD: The “A” Award for each of the three walks is one of the 1” hat
      pins that are featured on the cover of this brochure. We have 100 of
      each hat pin; there will not be a reorder.
      RESTROOMS: Restrooms are available at the start and at least one other
      location on each 10K trail.
      REFRESHMENTS: Water and hard candy will be available at the start/finish
      and checkpoints.
      DISCLAIMER: The American Volkssport Association or its subsidiary clubs
      are not responsible for theft or loss of personal belongings or
      property. All participants must sign a waiver.
      Directions to the Lancaster Host Resort:
      2300 Lincoln Highway East (Route 30), Lancaster, PA 17602 Phone: (717)
      299-5500. It is located on US 30 just east of Lancaster.
      From I-76; take the Route 222 Exit, follow Route 222 to US 30 and
      follow US 30 East. After passing Dutch Wonderland on the left, Lancaster
      Host Resort will be on the right.
      From I-83 at York: follow US 30 East After passing Dutch Wonderland on
      the left, Lancaster Host Resort will be on the right.
      From Coatesville: follow US 30 West. After passing the Rockvale Square
      Outlets, the Lancaster Host Resort will be on the left.
      Parking: Follow the signs and park on the right side of the hotel where
      there is plenty of parking.
      Join us for the Friday Meet ‘n Greet Buffet at 7:00 pm. Instead of the
      usual finger foods, a buffet will be served which includes salad, Beef
      Bourguignon with noodles, grilled Tilapia with mango chutney and breast
      of chicken Veronique There will also be risole potatoes, carrots, a
      squash medley, rolls and bread, and assorted desserts. Cost is $27.00.
      There will be a cash bar.
      The Saturday night banquet will begin at 6:30 pm and will feature a
      “Pennsylvania Dutch Buffet” consisting of roasted pork and sauerkraut,
      Pennsylvania Dutch style chicken potpie, honey baked ham with raisins,
      salad, freshly baked breads, mashed potatoes, green beans and ham,
      buttered corn, shoo fly pie, Dutch apple pie, chocolate cake, and
      whoopee pies. The guest speaker is Jeff Bach, Director of the Young
      Center for Anabaptist & Pietist Studies at Elizabethtown College. His
      topic is “Wanderers to Pennsylvania”. Cost is $33. A cash bar will be
      open prior to seating.
      In lieu of a registration fee, there will be a silent auction to raise
      funds to support the conference. We encourage every attendee to
      contribute an item and make a bid on the items contributed.
      FOR MORE INFORMATION: Joan Lampart at home phone (215) 529-5686). Email:
      jmlampart@...

      ===
      Top 10 Walks in the USA
      Final Results!
      http://walking.about.com/od/top-ten-walks/tp/Top-10-Walks-in-the-USA-2013.htm

      Find Maryland Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/marylandwalks.htm

      Find Virginia Walks and Walking Clubs
      http://walking.about.com/od/eventswalks/a/virginiawalks.htm

      =========

      3/22/2014 Two Walks
      City / State: Baltimore, MD
      -
      Event Name: Waterfront Walk
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98223
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5KM & 10KM & 11KM - 1A
      and historic areas. It follows the waterfront trail to the Inner Harbor
      area. It tours Little Italy, Fells Point, and the Canton business and
      residential areas on the return. The walk will have curbs. Strollers and
      wheelchairs may have difficulty in some areas.
      Amenities: Strollers: hard | Wheelchairs: hard | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Bakeries Family Owned, Celebrating Golden Cinemas,
      Civil War Battlefields, Diners, Fraternal Organization, Honoring Our
      Flag, National Register of Historic Places
      -
      Event Name: Patterson Park
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98231
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 5KM & 10KM - 1A
      and historic areas. It goes to Patterson Park through the Canton,
      Highlandtown, and Little Italy communities. The walk will have curbs.
      Strollers and wheelchairs may have difficulty in some areas.
      Amenities: Strollers: hard | Wheelchairs: hard | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Bakeries Family Owned, Celebrating Golden Cinemas,
      Diners, Honoring Our Flag, Murals, National Register of Historic Places,
      WPA Works Projects Administration
      -
      Start Times: 8:00 AM to 12 PM, finish by 3:00 PM
      Location: Coopermine Du Burns Arena
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 1301 South Elwood Ave., Baltimore, MD
      21224. From the north or south on I-95 toward Baltimore: Take exit 57
      (Baltimore Travel Plaza exit) to O’Donnell-Boston St. If you are coming
      from the south you will need to be in a right lane of the Fort McHenry
      tunnel as Exit 57 is shortly after the toll plaza. At the traffic light
      for Boston Street, turn west toward downtown Baltimore. Drive
      approximately 1 mile on Boston St. to the “Du” Burns Arena on the right
      at Boston St. and Ellwood Ave. Parking is available at the arena and
      across Boston St. in the park parking lot.
      Directions from the north on I-83 going to downtown Baltimore: I-83
      becomes President St. in the city. Continue on President about 0.5 miles
      to Fleet Street. Turn left onto Fleet for about 1 mile to Boston St.
      Turn right on Boston for about 1 mile to South Ellwood Ave. Parking is
      available at the arena on the left and across Boston St. in the park
      parking lot on the right.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: The event will be held in all reasonable weather conditions.
      If in doubt, contact the persons listed below. Pets are welcome but not
      inside of the
      “Du” Burns Arena. Pets must be leashed during the entire walk, and
      cleaned up after according to city regulation.
      Host Club: Baltimore Walking Club
      Contact: Frank Kupres (410) 274-8407
      Website: www.baltimorewalkingclub.com
      E-Mail Contact: fkupres@...

      3/29/2014
      City / State: Glenwood, MD
      Event Name: Western Regional Park
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 98296
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 10K/05K - 2B
      school grounds. The walk will be on paved paths. The 10K will include
      grass fields and natural surface wooded trails.
      Amenities: Strollers: | Wheelchairs: | Pets: | Restrooms:
      Special Programs: This event doesn't have any special Programs assigned.
      Start Times: 8:00 to 11:00
      Location: Gary J. Arthur Community Center at Glenwood
      Start Point / Driving Directions: 2400 Route 97
      Cooksville, MD 21723
      From I-95 take MD-100 W toward Ellicott City
      Take US-29 N toward I-70
      Take I-70 West
      Take Rt 97 South
      After Crossing Frederick Road, Rt 144, travel about one mile.
      The Center will be on the right in close proximity to the Glenwood Library
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments:
      Host Club: Columbia Volksmarch Club
      Contact: John Dye (410) 290-6510
      Website: www.mdvolks.org/CVC
      E-Mail Contact: johndye@...

      4/5/2014
      City / State: Germantown, MD
      Event Name:
      Event Type: Walk
      Event ID: 96120
      Distance - Trail Ratings: 6km/10km - 2A
      hills. Restrooms are available at the Start Point. Pets are allowed, but
      must be leashed at all times during the walk. This walk will be held
      regardless of the weather, unless conditions cause the sponsors to close
      the trails for safety reasons. Water and candy will be available at the
      Start Point. 10 km trail rated 2A; 6 km trail rated 1A
      Amenities: Strollers: easy | Wheelchairs: easy | Pets: Yes | Restrooms: Yes
      Special Programs: Cities in Song, Honoring Our Flag, Lakes and
      Reservoirs, Rainbow Color-Named Places, Trekking With the Trees, You'll
      Never Walk Alone
      Start Times: Registration: 8AM - 11AM; Finish by 2PM
      Location: International House of Pancakes-IHOP
      Start Point / Driving Directions: IHOP, 20009 Century Boulevard,
      Germantown, Maryland 20874. Parking is available in the IHOP parking lot.
      DIRECTIONS TO START POINT:
      FROM I-270 GOING NORTH: Merge onto MD-118S/Germantown Rd. via Exit 15B.
      *Turn right onto Aircraft Dr. Take 1st right onto Century Blvd. Turn
      right into IHOP parking lot.
      FROM I-270 GOING SOUTH: Take Exit 15B-A. Merge onto MD 118S/Germantown
      Rd. via Exit 15B. Continue from * above.
      Awards & Fees: IVV Credit Only
      Comments: 10 km trail rated 2A
      6 km trail rated 1A
      Host Club: Seneca Valley Sugarloafers