Walklist: SIDE-HILL GOUGERS

  • G.E.McGowen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 1998
      I seem to have missed an item somewhere at the start of this but Bill
      Woolgar's Side - Hill gougers are alive and well and living in Scotland.
      The Scots call them HAGGIS. They are small, furry creatures, with long legs
      on one side and short legs on the other . Just as Bill described them. They
      come in two varieties ; clockwise, and anti-clockwise. This is determined
      by which legs are the long ones and thus which way they run round the
      mountain.
      The Scots have devised a canny way of hunting them. They chase them the
      wrong way round the mountain. This causes the Haggis to topple over and
      they are readily trapped and then put in the cooking-pot. They make good
      eating. Try one sometime.
      Regards
      Garth McGowen

      See the Subscriber/Contributor Agreement at
      http://www.ava.org/walklist.htm#agree
    • Bill J Woolgar
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 1998
        How are you Garth and Margaret?
        The side-hill-gouges must have been imported from the Old Sod. I
        had heard of the Haggis not so much as an elusive animal but as sheep
        stomach filled with a concoction that resembles porridge.
        I now realize that the Haggis is a REAL entity that needs
        preservation laws enacted to keep it from becoming extinct. Every Bobby
        Burns day celebrant must by nature consume enormous quantities of Haggis
        to preserve the dignity of the holiday, so; we must be vigilant or the
        Scots will be devising ignoble ways of capturing our side-hill gougers
        and taking them back to the Old Country and passing them off as the real
        thing! ! ?

        (") Bill Woolgar (Pres)-------------------
        < > Mid-Florida Milers Walking Club
        / \ Orlando and vicinity
        FLORIDA! THE PLACE IN WHICH TO BE IN 2003!